Leinster club hurling and football 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Poshdub
Junior C

Re: Leinster club hurling and football 2013

Post by Poshdub »

The sub that come on was sent off in the British final and they put him on under another name. I think if the British clubs treat the competition like this they don't deserve to be in it.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

What am I missing here? If that's true, then Ballinamere should just cite them and they'll be awarded the fixture, simple as that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Poshdub
Junior C

Post by Poshdub »

Lone Shark wrote:What am I missing here? If that's true, then Ballinamere should just cite them and they'll be awarded the fixture, simple as that.

Proving it I suppose would be tricky.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Little consolation, I know, but, this was a brave effort by Ballinamere and their gallant supporters, some of whom had set out in 1946 for this contest if rumours were to be believed!
Conditions were very testing and after conceding an early goal Ballinamere then lost Kevin Mealiffe after he sustained a facial injury. Fullen Gaels were a big physical side and wind assisted in the first half took their scoring chances very well. Ballinamere on the other hand were more agile and worked tirelessly to gain possession and convert what chances came their way and everyone from the Offaly club side must have been happy with the half-time deficit of 3 points given the enormity of the wind that would assist Ballinamere in the 2nd half.
Fullen Gaels crowded the midfield in the second half and dominated possession, early, and scored first which gave them the all important momentum. Fullen Gaels wing forward, Rob O'Donnell, won countless ball and he also scored crucial points such as when Ballinamere had drawn level through a Jamie McKeogh point and along with Conall Maskey at wing-back looked the standout opponents.
Ballinamere were very determined and fought tooth and nail for everything, scored some great long-range points and despite their overall smaller physique were only just out-pointed.
The experience gained by Fullen Gaels last year in this same competition proved crucial, I think, and that is what is important about these games. Ballinamere players and management will have learned from these opponents and can bring that experience back to the Offaly senior ranks next year where they can hold their heads high with players like Stephen Weir,Jamie McKeogh, Paddy Murphy and Kieran McLoughlin.
Ballinamere supporters were great and from the youngest to the oldest shouted themselves hoarse.
A mention for Midlands Radio 3 who were commentating the match live and are a real asset to the whole community in the midlands well done to them!
Well done Ballinamere.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ballinamere lose All-Ireland quarter-final appeal

Offaly club Ballinamere have lost their appeal against the result of their recent All-Ireland club JHC quarter-final against Fullen Gaels of Manchester.

Fullen won the game in Pairc na hEireann, Birminghan by a point, 1-8 to 0-10, on December 15 to progress to a semi-final meeting with Antrim champions Creggan Kickhams early in the New Year. However, the result was thrown into doubt after Ballinamere questioned the eligibility of one of the Fullen Gaels players who they claimed played whilst under suspension.

The Leinster champions were of the understanding that the player in question was sent off on a straight red card in Fullen's All-Britain JHC final victory over John Mitchels of Liverpool on November 17, and duly lodged an appeal with Croke Park.

But the appeal proved unsuccessful after Croke Park received the referee's report which clarified that the Fullen player had been sent off for a second yellow card offence, and therefore didn't have to serve a suspension.