Leinster club hurling and football 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
corner back
All Star

Re: Leinster club hurling and football 2013

Post by corner back »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Mention of Jamie Power, something tells me (and i could be wrong) he played in goals in a Minor All-Ireland on one of the occasions Offaly were in the Senior Final (1998 or 2000).

Like SBM I too saw the Kilkenny Final deferred having followed the scores on Twitland during the match. I expected alot more from Carrickshock but they seemed to be caught up in 'unlikely favourite' syndrome and couldn't cope with an underrated opponent who just wouldn't lie down. Something akin to Kilcormac in the 2009 County Final. Carrickshock were crying our for leadership but Michael Rice had his hands full at midfield while Richie Power phoned it in.

I get the impression that Richie Power will be grand playing for the county as long as Henry Shefflin in on the pitch to light and guide, to rule and guard. Once Shefflin calls it a day Power is frigged.
Jamie Power was on goal for the KK u21 team that lost to Offaly in Portlaoise in 2000 I think v Rory Hanniffy et al.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

(Going off topic) has anyone got the offaly lineouts for the U-21 and Minor Leinster winning teams of 2000?

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Ballyboden defeated Lucan Sarsfield today on a score of 0-13 to 0-10. I didn't think it was a bad match - although a few others I was talking to after thought it was very poor. Lucan will see this as missed opportunity after Ballyboden were reduced to 14 men mid-way through the second half and only a pt or 2 in it at the time. But Ballyboden actually improved with 14 and Lucan used the extra man poorly.

Lucan worked very hard throughout the game but had only one genuine scoring threat - Kevin O Reilly. If they had couple of other scoring fwds -they really could have won this game. Ballyboden always found their scores easier to come by. Niall McMorrow impressed the most for Boden- he was in midfield and was constantly on the ball. Imagine he will be pushing hard for a starting place with Dublin next year.

Mount Leinster Rangers definitely won't fear Ballyboden after this performance but you would still have to fancy the Dubs to reach the final. The winners of Kk and Oulart should be favourites in the final. That said I think Ballyboden will improve.

In Munster Na Piarsaigh and Passage was an interesting game (deferred on TG4.). The Passage goalie Eddie Lynch- was given Man of the Match by Donal O Grady. He made a number of great saves. Na Piarsaigh were the better hurlers but very nearly threw this game away. Fair play to Passage they showed a never say die attitude and were missing their best player Noel Connors (away.) Eoin Kelly scored one penalty but he had a second one saved. Peter Queally did a good job with Passage this year and it's surprising he didn't get Waterford job.

Na Piarsaigh will play the winners of Middleton-Sixmilebridge(who won Clare today). With Conor Lehane on fire and Sixmilebridge having played a lot of games recently I'd imagine Middleton will reach Munster Final. Na Piarsaigh look like they have the strongest team on paper of the three clubs left in Munster.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Mount Leinster Rangers v Kilcormac/Killoughey Leinster Final. You heard it here first.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Abercrombie Fitch wrote:Mount Leinster Rangers v Kilcormac/Killoughey Leinster Final. You heard it here first.
There are a lot of 'puck-outs' to come before any team can put their name against that fixture!
A game to savour in O'Connor Park next Sunday where KK host Oulart The Ballagh and the TG4 team have made it their live televised game for next weekend!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

This should be a hummdinger of a game and one that will test KK's hunger to the limit. You would have to feel a bit of sympathy to Oulart for having to travel to Kilkenny and then to Tullamore, but thems the breaks. Oulart have a fine team, and seem to be playing along the same lines as Clare with plenty of short passes to maintain possesion, and create the openings. KK will need goals I think but they are well capable of getting them.
The weather is forecast quite good this week up to the weekend, so hopefully it continues and we get good conditions for what should be a very hard fought game.
Best of luck to KK, and would be a real marker for their progress if they can make it back to another Leinster final.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Looking forward to sunday game should be a cracker with Oulart mad for it come sunday.
i think k/k are a settle side and are abit better than last year with a better panel and
no injuries to concern them.

Oulart have some find hurlers and its a mystery how they have not won the leinster club over
the last 19 year as they have had some great sides down the years. that wont worry k/k and i
think 1 to 15 they have the better hurlers and if all or most hurl well sunday they should come through
by 4 or 5 points win.

k/k should take their points this weekend and don't be trying to walk the ball into the net like they did
at times again Camross. your goals will come take your points as they saying goes.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Well done to Ballinamere who have made their way nicely through the rounds and have reached the Leinster Final.

Final opposition will be Lisdowney. Ballinamere are due to be at home for this (only the second Offaly team to reach this stage after Drumcullen did so the year of the big snow) and as far as I know there will be an inspection of Ballinamere's premises to see if it is up to scratch to host a final. I don't know what the requirements are, but hopefully for them they get the thumbs-up.

Incidentally who is managing Ballinamere this year?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I drop out to Ballinamere for their match. It was an cold wet day.
Ballinamere started very slowly and were 1-2 or no score down after about 8 mins, but they recovered to be winning 2-6 or so to 1-4 at half time Eire Og. Ballinamere should have being being winning by more at half time. Eire Og were Bigger men and tried to make the game as physical as possible but Ballinamere were the better hurlers.
Ballinamere in the second half were never in any danger. they tagged on a few more score and got out of sight with about 15 mins to go. with a few mins to go I headed off to Tullamore. Ballinamere will have to improve to win the Final.
On a side note how Eire og had not a few player sent off, some of the striking on the ballinamere players was so dangerous I was worried that someone was going to get hurt.
The Ballinamere team was
K Mc Loughlin.
Ken Molloy David Gillespie Damien Spollen
David Magner Gerry Spollen Philip Mc Dermott
Mealiff Jamie Mc Keogh
Paddy Murphy Michael Murphy Martin Og Buggy
Darragh Wyer Stephen Weir Nicholas Minnick

Management Team: Seamus McKeogh, Barney O'Brien, and Ollie Clavin
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Well done to Ballinamere who have made their way nicely through the rounds and have reached the Leinster Final.

Final opposition will be Lisdowney. Ballinamere are due to be at home for this (only the second Offaly team to reach this stage after Drumcullen did so the year of the big snow) and as far as I know there will be an inspection of Ballinamere's premises to see if it is up to scratch to host a final. I don't know what the requirements are, but hopefully for them they get the thumbs-up.

Incidentally who is managing Ballinamere this year?
On the Leinster gaa website the game is fixed for Tullamore on the 1st of dec. Lisdowney have blown away all the teams they have played so far and they will be very hard to beat , Ballinamere have won their last two games easy enough to and are in with a great shout in the final, best of luck to all involved.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I haven’t seen Ballinamere this year so I don't have much to say on them.

On the face of it they are up against it. In recent years Kilkenny teams have comfortably disposed of Offaly opposition in this competition, and of the Offaly teams who have faced Kilkenny Junior champions (Ballyskenagh, Drumcullen, Brosna Gaels, Lusmagh), only Ballyskenagh came any way close to a win (they lost to a good Tullogher-Rosbercon team something like 2-8 to 1-17).

On the other hand it could be argued that in the same timeframe Offaly clubs have been second best in this competition for Offaly clubs have fallen to Kilkenny clubs in four of the last five years, and in the odd year Brosna Gaels fell to Borris in Ossory when uncertainty over their eligibility was only cleared up just a week before they played B-i-O.

Lisdowney have been scoring freely in Leinster, with big totals run up against Laois and Carlow opposition. Still, Laois clubs have never blazed a trail in this competition while Carlow clubs haven’t always entered a team. And while Thomastown went on to win the All-Ireland last year, something tells me their toughest test was against Rathmolyon in the Leinster final when they required two late goals in testing conditions.

There was something admirable about the way Ballinamere went to Wexford and won in round 1. To win on Sunday Ballinamere will need to dig in from the very start. They will not win this coming from behind. Hold Lisdowney score for score in the first half, don’t concede goals, convert their frees, don’t give cheap frees away and they will give themselves a chance. And above all, don’t stand looking at them.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player

Good luck to Ballinamere today in Tullamore.
Some great games on with Oulart versus Mount Leinster Rangers looking a 'Will they or won't they do it?' contest!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Well done to shamrocks minor footballers who won the leinster final yesterday. Superb achievement for the club and a badly needed boost for offaly football.

Offaly football needs clubs like this to get back to the level they were at 4 or 5 years ago before missing so many players.

along the way they beat the laois, kildare and wexford champions. Very well done to the club.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player

Who's sneering now? :lol: :lol:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well done to Ballinamere on their leinster win, and Shamrocks on their win.
as for Oulart this is no suprise as they have lost the last 3 finals plus a few in the 90's
they don't have the balls for it on the big day.

great win for MLR and for carlow hurling, i watch them last year again k/k in carlow and it was
a close call in the end. i hope old yeller enjoy todays result well done.