Junior A football final . Tullamore vs Birr.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
blinkers
Junior A

Junior A football final . Tullamore vs Birr.

Post by blinkers »

Another great display by a team that averaged 2 14 a game this year.i honestly do not know where and why birr were favourites for this game.. I honestly taught beforhand there was no way tullamore could lose this match. And the argument that was displayed in the press this week about birr haven 2 former intercounty players who had class bla blah was lazy analysis of final in my opinion . In the previews none of the papers mentioned that 9 of the Tullamore starting team have played senior football prevuously.

Anyway conditions were not great yesterday but the pitch held up well. Tullamore dominated the game should gave been moreup at half time. Birr came back just after half time when they got a goal. But the reactiion of tullamore after conceding the goal was the winning of the game. 1.5 without reply if I am not mistaken.

Its after capping off a great 7 days for the blues.
Last edited by blinkers on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: Junior A football final . Tullamore vs Birr.

Post by High School Musical »

Lazy journalism is one of the big scourges of our time!
Unfortunately, we see quite a lot of it in Club football, not just in this county.
Its easy to rattle off a couple of familiar names or those with county experience and fob it off as a critical analysis of a team.

On the subject of the game itself, very impressive showing from Tullamore.
The 'lazy' money in the Junior Championship this year would have been on the likes of Birr, Clonmore Harps & Daingean.
But Tullamore, Ferbane & Clara among others, are able to provide a second team capable of winning a championship like this on any given year.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Hmm. As one of those "lazy journalists", I'll weigh in here.

First up, when it came to the senior final, I got it spectacularly wrong. I did suggest that in order to win Tullamore would have to (1) make their tackles count (2) Force Rhode to switch Brian Darby back into the full back line, and (3) win the battle between Niall Mac and Paul McConway. However while I did identify the map to victory, I concluded that they would be unable to follow it, and that Rhode were more than just a one man forward line this season. Turns out I was way off. Happy to admit that.

However there is a general rule in gambling/punditry that the right result doesn't mean you were right, and the wrong result doesn't mean that you were wrong.
Birr were a hugely changed team since the hurling final defeat and as a Ferbane man who saw a sea change between the drawn semi-final and the replay, there was no comparison between the two. They had a few weeks of uninterrupted football preparation, and let's not forget here that we're still talking about a team that could easily have won an intermediate title a few years ago. When Rynaghs won the intermediate championship in 2010, they beat Birr after extra time, having been handed a real "drawmaker" of a free to level it up at the end of the hour. Rynaghs took their chance and Birr may not have done so, but the vast bulk of those Birr players were still on the club's roll - they just weren't available all year.

Yes Tullamore had a handful of guys with senior experience, but every second string team has a load of those guys. However Birr had a plethora of players with county experience, and a few more that would have played county had they been able to give football a real go. I'd be in regular contact with Paddy Power regarding betting and they said that they took a small few bets on Tullamore at 7/4, but nothing significant. If the price was wrong and the Blues should have been favourites, they would have been bowled over.

I'm at a slight disadvantage here in that I didn't see Sunday's final, but I make a lot of tips every year because I have to. There are times I get it right, and then there are times when i get it wrong and I get a bit of luck that covers me. There are times I am way off (such as the SFC final) but there are also times when the prediction makes sense, it just doesn't come to pass. The fact that Tullamore won well doesn't mean that they deserved to be favourites any more than the Tullamore seniors should have been favourites to beat Rhode.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Keep digging that hole for yourself lone shark. The birr team that tullamore played in the group stages was better than the team birr had out yesterday.

The trubune gave the same line as the independent about how they made birr favs nobody outside tullamore could have invisaged the way the senior final panned out but seriously the junior final had tullamore winning it hands down written all over. For the life of me I cant see the argument that made birr favs. Maybe I am just seeing thru blue tinted glasses. Anyway does it really matte.r tullamore has had a great week 2 adult championships in one week. I believe 1930 was the last year we won junior and senior in the same yr. Beating rhode in the senior that year too.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

blinkers wrote: seriously the junior final had tullamore winning it hands down written all over. For the life of me I cant see the argument that made birr favs.
That's some fine 20/20 hindsight all right. How about you put those skills to good use and predict the Tullamore vs Newtown Blues game on Sunday, and maybe share with us those views in advance of the game, instead of after it? We could all use an extra few bob in the run up to Christmas and all that.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Its not 20/20 hindsight at all. Its called belief and facts the f facts are tullamore hammered every team except ballycommon so they had a decent forward line who could get scores. Birr were never going to run up a big score.and they junior team have been training together with seniors they would be marking senior footballers sometimes in training which obviously brings them on as footballers most of team are just footballers no dual players except stephen egan and alan martiin so have playing football together all summer. Do you really want me give you more..... .

As regards the newtown blues game I can only go on tullamore s attitude and I know they are up for it. I havent seen newtown blues play but I have I believe it's down to tullamore s attitude workrate etc if thats spot on we will win. And I will be backing them to make me A FEW MORE BOB BEFORE CHRISTMAS

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

High School Musical

Did you by any chance go into Google - type black man holding kettle with his pants up to his neck and put that as your profile pic? Very funny by the way.

I (kind of) predicted KK and Tullamore back in August. Boomcha almost got it perfect, I'd be interested to look out for his predictions in future.
lostinjuniora wrote:Each way!

Senior: Edenderry/Clara
Inter: KK/Capincur
Junior: Tullamore/Clonmore
Junior B: Tubber/Kinnity
boomcha wrote:Senior - Rhode (a final with Clara would be one to look forward to)

Intermediate - K/K (if they want it)

Junior - Tullamore (like last years champions, maybe punching below their weight (one word, Oxegen), a very good squad)

Junior B - Tubber (going well in league and championship, and their Seniors doing well will be a benefit)

Does anyone know if the Semi finals are open draw?
lostinjuniora wrote:Each way!

Senior: Edenderry/Clara
Inter: KK/Capincur
Junior: Tullamore/Clonmore
Junior B: Tubber/Kinnity

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

blinkers wrote:Its not 20/20 hindsight at all. Its called belief
No. It's belief when you post before the game. It's hindsight when you post it up afterwards.

I really hope you're right regarding the game at the weekend. Newtown Blues are the favourites, despite not being as good as St Patricks last year, so the bookies clearly don't share that belief.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

.You ignore facts instead you focus on the fact I didnt post beforehsnd. I dont be on this forum much. I think my boylesports sccount shows me the belief I had in tullamore not you or the fact I didnt post beforehand.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

People keep saying about Birr unlucky in 2010 in the Intermediate Championship but they must have been relegated since then and that's not a good sign.Some of my fellow Tullamore men are giving out with the bookies why i have celebrating the last 2 weeks on the bookies money.i am not a big gambler but a few bob on Tulamore against Clara 5/2 then Rhode 5/1 and Birr 7/4. The game on Sun was not a good one and when Tullamore started to pull away in the 2th half i was very disappointed with Birr,they did not seem to interested.There was a lot of mistakes in the game but any of the football that was played was played by Tullamore.

tmorelad
Junior B

Post by tmorelad »

why was the presentation area moved in both games :?:

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

It was moved cause the aarea of the pitch in front of the middle of the stand was fairly cut up and they were protecting the pitch so I was told anyway.