senior football final Rhode vs Tullamore 15.30 sunday 13th

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
blinkers
Junior A

senior football final Rhode vs Tullamore 15.30 sunday 13th

Post by blinkers »

Well lads it seems rhode are overwhelming favourites and justifiably so given the form they have shown all year and the experience they have in finals. Everything is pointing to a rhode win. Even the bookies have tullamore as 5/1 outsiders.

Can tullamore up there perfromance another 10% to compete with rhode. I feel they can maybe thats just cause I have the BLINKERS on. How tullamore try to kerp niall mcnamees influence to a minium will be crucial but rhode have talent elsewhere that can do damage
This tullamore team have talent and big match experience hopefully they deliever and bring the dowling cup back to tullamore.

Allez les bleus.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Re: senior football final Rhode vs Tullamore 15.30 sunday 13

Post by summerindublin »

Should be a good game, if Rhode should win,they will join Tullamore on 26 titles:

Tullamore (26) 1896-99, 1908, 1911-13, 1917, 1924-26, 1930, 1932, 1935, 1941,
1946, 1948, 1954, 1956, 1963, 1973, 1977, 2000, 2002, 2007

Rhode (25) 1900, 1918, 1920, 1923, 1927-29, 1931, 1939-40, 1944, 1949,
1955, 1958, 1966-67, 1969, 1975, 1998, 2004-06, 2008, 2010, 2012

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

blinkers wrote:Well lads it seems rhode are overwhelming favourites and justifiably so given the form they have shown all year and the experience they have in finals. Everything is pointing to a rhode win. Even the bookies have tullamore as 5/1 outsiders.

Can tullamore up there perfromance another 10% to compete with rhode. I feel they can maybe thats just cause I have the BLINKERS on. How tullamore try to kerp niall mcnamees influence to a minium will be crucial but rhode have talent elsewhere that can do damage
This tullamore team have talent and big match experience hopefully they deliever and bring the dowling cup back to tullamore.

Allez les bleus.
Thought Paul Mc Conway did a good job when switch was made last year , even though switch was made way too late, He might be the man to keep Mc Namee quieter. As a auld lad said to me at the weekend, its hard to beat tullamore once they get into a final, they will slog it out.
Defo see John Maloney as a forward, Saw him destroy tubber few years ago in relegation playoff, Can catch great ball, and kick with either feet, cant understand why anyone would play him in defence, I think he could be a major threat vrs Rhode.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

On a Sunny Autumnal Saturday in 1992, John Rouse led the Tullamore Minor footballers on to the pitch in O’Connor Park to play in a County Final as one of the finest underage talents in Offaly. Not long into the game Rouse broke his leg, leaving the field prematurely and empty-handed. Within two years he would return to line-out for both the Offaly U21 and Senior teams. Year three into his recovery saw him bolster the last great underage Offaly football team. On that same field in a pre-championship match against Westmeath, which would turn-out to be a curtain raiser for the U21 Leinster Final that same year, Rouse broke that same leg. He would collect his U21 Leinster Winners medal on crutches. His younger club-mate would shine brighter and become an All-Star within the next two years.

Contrasting seasons and contrasting luck. In December of the year of the Millennium, bridging a 23 year gap, Rouse played a starring role alongside Cathal Daly in the Tullamore defence as the Blues ground out a two point win against a Shamrocks side that would live-on to be truly luckless. He would return two years later to put the tin-hat on a second Dowling Cup in three years, replacing the injured Cathal Daly in a tight match against Gracefield and scoring two vital points in the latter part of the game. By 2007 Rouse was nearing the end of his playing career, but was still available as a late substitute to push the town side beyond an ebbing Shamrocks team and collect his third Dowling Cup medal.

Whatever way you look through the prism to see these various elements, this is a story of luck.

On Sunday, Tullamore and Rhode will meet again in a County Final for the first time since 2008. Memories of that final are vivid, as Rhode very much embarrassed the reigning county champions, holding them to a mere four points, while posting 20 at the other end. Tullamore did raise the green flag twice and Rhode once that day, but in truth, Rhode could have raised it many more times, with a missed penalty and the woodwork curbing Rhode’s tally. The frightening thing for Tullamore is that Rhode enter this year’s final having made a habit of posting hurling scores.

Tullamore have been very convincing since losing badly to Tubber in the group stages on a score-line of 1-10 to 0-6. They beat Gracefield in their final group game, which ultimately ensured they would avoid playing Edenderry (in the County Quarter Finals), dispatched Ballycumber with ease in the Quarter Finals and eventually ground-down Clara in the recent Semi-Finals. Strangely, while the Clara game should serve as an indication of great progress for this team, it has potentially raised more serious questions. In a second-half that Tullamore entirely dominated, they registered only 1-5. Worryingly, 1-1 of that came against 13 men. Of course, these types of occurrences rarely repeat in a near identical manner, but should Tullamore experience that kind of dominance against Rhode for any sustained period, 1-5 will not be enough. How can Tullamore repeat the trick but make a bigger impression on the score-board?

- Mickey Brazil will have to eclipse either Alan McNamee or Mark Dunne in the middle of the field by some margin.

- John Rouse and his selectors will have to choose between Paul McConway holding together the spine of his defence or being touch-tight on Niall McNamee – he won’t be able to do both. Everything points to a man-marking job here, which will most likely endanger other elements of the Tullamore back-line.

- Kevin Willaimson’s roaming from centre-forward was hugely effective against Clara - it will have to be as good again. I think Dingle Daly will go horses-for-courses here choosing Brian Darby at centre-half back, but to hold or follow? This is a harder one to call, as Rhode may not want to expose the green grass that will lead directly to the Tullamore full-forward line, but equally won’t want to see Williamson mopping-up cheap ball. The flip-side here is Rhode can probably afford to let Williamson roam, safe in the knowledge that this part of the field is patrolled by the high-energy Rhode half-forward line comprising of Stephen Hannon, Padraic Sullivan and Glen O’Connell. There’s also the question as to how well Williamson will marshal Darby’s surging runs.

- Most importantly though, Tullamore will need their full-forward line to have the game of their lives. Shane Dooley looked out of sorts against Clara, while Shane Kelly’s decision making did not match his ball winning and work-rate. Johnny Maloney could yet be the surprise package. His fielding and strength make him a very viable target-man, but he’s unlikely to be a high-scorer in this game. Rhode will be wise to this and should oppose him with Shane Sullivan to negate those characteristics. Also, expect the likes of Eoin Rigney, James McPadden and Ciaran Heavey to make this a difficult day for the Tullamore scoring forwards.

Rhode have pretty much cruised through the football year, with their only blips against the team that Tullamore have just dispatched. They’re playing a high-energy running game very effectively, with a nice balance of hard-working and good footballers. The sharp end of the steel is undoubtedly their full-forward line with Niall Darby and Paul McPadden weighing-in effectively in the scoring stakes. They will be cognitive of the historic element to this match-up too, as Rhode (for the first time) get the opportunity to challenge Tullamore’s historic dominance of Offaly Senior Football. Tullamore have always been the most successful club-side in the County, but in truth find Rhode on their shoulders due to a poor return in the last 40 years. In contrast, Rhode have been chasing and catching since.

To borrow a phrase coined between other competing giants on a different field, the man that will ‘knock them of their perch’ began his Senior Football career in 2001, making an appearance as a fresh-faced 16 year old. Since then, he has been the single most influential footballer in the County, winning games single-handedly and known nationally amongst football followers. Particularly in the last 12 months, Rhode have relied on him less, but his mere presence on the pitch changes the dynamic of a game, rather like large objects have a less than obvious gravitational pull.

This unnamed footballers story is one of undoubted and fulfilled talent.

In a round-about way, it's consideration of these basic elements that prompts a conclusion. Daniel Kahneman, nobel prize winner in the field of Economics, has theorised that Success has a simple formula:

Success = Talent + Luck

We each have our own measure of how both teams relate to this equation. But perhaps there’s a corollary to this finding? John Rouse had a lot of talent and no luck. When he eventually found some luck, his talents were fading. He probably feels he’s still owed something here – Tullamore will need it.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Great write up Magpie

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Top Class Magpie
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Ah, great stuff Magpie!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Really excellent stuff - a very enjoyable read.

I really want to look forward to this Sunday's game in OCP, I really do - but I have a genuine fear that it won't be competitive. Tullamore's historical tendency to make the most of their opportunities in the latter stages of championships is all very well, but you can only go so far by making the most of the opportunities provided to you. There is a real possibility that Sunday will present them with no opportunity whatsoever. We've seen before how Tullamore can take full advantage of an opponent having an off day in a county final, but their particular strengths don't seem to match up too well with Rhode. We saw earlier this year how Gracefield caused Rhode by far the most difficulty - but in Ciarán Kiely and Niall Smith, Gracefield have arguably the best ball winning midfield in the county. That gave them a great foothold against Rhode, who have two fine footballers in the middle but not two ball winners.

Tullamore also tend to play from the back, mopping up loose long deliveries and working the ball out with good support play. Their problem here is that Rhode don't do long balls forward just for the sake of it. At various stages of the semi-final, Clara started looking for Cushen and Deehan even when they were outnumbered - Rhode won't do that. If Niall Mac, Niall D or Paul McPadden is one on one, by all means they'll play in an accurate long delivery - but if there is a sweeper there, they'll happily carry the ball in and exploit the extra man the whole way up along the field. Lots of clubs in Offaly play quick long deliveries into the full forward line because it's our equivalent of ground hurling - it's what you do, to question it is like questioning the Gospel. Tullamore look past that and have made hay on account of it, but that won't do them here.

Perhaps their only trump card is the fact that in Paul McConway, they have arguably the best man marker in Offaly - certainly the best outside of Rhode anyway. If Niall Mac's influence can be curbed, to some degree at least, without the use of an extra man, then they've given themselves some chance.

I'll still be taking Rhode minus five however.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Straight odds on this one?

To win Tullamore 5/1?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I really enjoyed that, Magpie. I wasn't aware of John Rouse's misfortune with those injuries. I'm looking forward to the Final a little bit more now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Nothing new here lone shark righting tullamore off. Are you saying tullamore just win finals by teams having off days. Are you for real. Suppose if tullamore win sunday it will be because rhode never turned up bla blah blah.

Magpie nice work. You really know your stuff unlike some other gombeens on this forum.

Allez les bleus

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

Well done Magpie your post had a little bit of everything and agree with most. Just incase there is any doubt the blue in blue biffo is Tullamore blue and looking forward to Sunday but also knows to beat Rhode we will need everything to go right for us and Rhode to have an off day.We are all talking about Neil McNamee and if Paul Mc Conway can hold him, i am not so sure he will be marking him.I can see Mickey Brazil been given the job but then i don't have the ear of John Rouse. We may need Paul holding the middle i rate the other Rhode forwards very highly. Paul Mc Padden and Neil Darby may cause Tullamore as much trouble as Neil Mc Namee on the day.Lone Shark mentioned Gracefield's midfield getting the better of Rhode but the Tullamore midfield were well on top of Gracefield in the last group game with Johnny O Donohue play one of his best games for Tullamore. Tullamore will need more from their forward line and will need the full forward line to get 2 goals or more to win this game and their best hope is that Johnny Maloney to get the better of Shane Sullivan, so the clash in the Rhode full back line may be more important than the clash in the Tullamore full back line.As i said at the start it will be hard for Tullamore but we are in with a chance maybe a small one but after leaving Clara after been beaten by Tubber you could not see us in a county final.Come on you SUPERBLUES. Sorry had to say it.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Great stuff Magpie, really well written. I think LS is correct in fearing the worst regarding this being a really tight competitive game. I have seen a lot of both teams this year and I can't see anything other than a comfortable enough win for the village. Tullamore simply do not have enough quality forwards. Don't get me wrong, the Rhode forward division isn't playing amazing stuff either but in the two Mac's they have enough firepower to see off the challenge of the blues. When the teams met in the 1st round, Rhode blew them away and there was a serious gulf in class between both teams. In truth, Tullamore haven't done enough to convince me that this gulf has been narrowed enough for them to win on Sunday. Of course the beauty of sport and the reason we all love the game.......is because you just never know

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi Magpie,

I had 2 of my young ones read this as an example of how to keep the attention of the reader/tie multiple threads together.

After reading my youngest daughter asked a few questions, the last of which being ...'Can we go?'.

Best of luck to those involved and may the best team win.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

The Magpie wrote:
To borrow a phrase coined between other competing giants on a different field, the man that will ‘knock them of their perch’ began his Senior Football career in 2001, making an appearance as a fresh-faced 16 year old.

Excellent read Magpie. One potential correction, if that above reference as I suspect is about Offaly & Rhode's current star player, he was actually only 15!! However, he did turn 16 within a month of the final.