Battle of Walsh Island

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ballyduff
Junior B

Battle of Walsh Island

Post by Ballyduff »

Who is to blame for the off field action. Ballyfore or Shamrocks

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Battle of Walsh Island

Post by kingscounty »

What happened off the field?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

"Battle of Walsh Island".
Sounds like something from the History Channel.

Ballyduff
Junior B

Post by Ballyduff »

Were the 2 managers not assaulted? Read PJ Wards tweets on saturday.

brian fantana
Intermediate
Club: rhode

Post by brian fantana »

what happened in walsh island was scandlous,a total mass brawl. in fairness not too many players were involved, and there was no badness in the game itself. what happened was the two sets of subs and managers were side by side right in front of the stand which was always going to spell trouble, when it sparked off alot of punches and headbutts were dished out, but i doubt anyone will get in trouble over it as there was too many involved to actually see who done what, i think it was all the county boards fault, its ridiculous fixing a game in walsh island when walsh island themselves were playing in geashill at the same time, therefor there was no walsh island officials there to help martin carthy, i seen two ballyfore guys doing linesmen and umpires, i felt sorry for carthy as he could do nothing about the brawl,he done the best he could, there were men and women gettin over the railing to get involved, theres no way this game should of been there, so whoever fixed it there is at fault, and i cant see how its a neutral venue anyway, daingain would of been ideal, and they would of had loads of officials there and dug outs opposite sides of the field.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Apportioning most of the blame one the fixtures committee is ridiculous.

The two clubs shoulr be thrown out of the competition

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

brian fantana wrote:what happened was the two sets of subs and managers were side by side right in front of the stand which was always going to spell trouble, when it sparked off alot of punches and headbutts were dished out, but i doubt anyone will get in trouble over it as there was too many involved to actually see who done what, i think it was all the county boards fault,
Let's get real here! Subs, managers and spectators throwing punches and headbutts at each other is not the fault of the fixtures committee of the county board. Let's not for one second say that such actions are anything but the responsibility of the individuals involved. Having people stand in close proximity to each other is not a reason to condone violence. It would be great to see the clubs involved start to ask questions internally and put forward some of their own culprits, rather than waiting to see what the referees report throws up.

Let's as a county stand up against this type of rubbish happening. If we at least did that, we might have achieved something this year as a county.

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

I done the line in one of those clubs championship matches this year, same situation Walsh Island were playing so Martin needed linesmen and umpires. The dogs abuse both I, Martin and one of our umpires got from aggressive assholes on the sideline shouting and roaring in your face and cursing referee out of it in front of their own kids. It comes as no surprise to hear about this.

brownie
Junior A

Post by brownie »

this is all being exaggerated.

minor altercation between 2 managers(happens all the time)
neither manager struck anyone. it was other club officals ,subs and supporters that threw most of the punches and 1 head butt only.

it looked like it got shamrocks going after that .ballyfore were the better team up to that incident.
the shamrocks manager left the blood flowing down his face .it lifted the tension but it all worked out for them after.

no one dead, no one in hospital .pure championship battle.im not saying its right but worse went on around the country over the weekend.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

That is a f#%king crazy comment. A situation where "club officals ,subs and supporters that threw most of the punches and 1 head butt only." is described as a minor altercation. A Manager walking around with blood streaming down his face!

Nothing to see here - move on, let the lads play. The media are to blame if you ask me!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

It probably looked a lot worse than it was overall but a headbutt is an awful act. The Shamrocks manager received a head butt which to all is very cowardly and something only the lowest of the low would do.

One thing I will say is that there was one individual on the sideline with management that should have been out there playing football instead of giving lip and getting into the trouble. It was actually embarrassing to see it for both the club and the individual.

Both teams were very poor. Shamrocks were 6 or 7 points the better team but they are miles off senior standard and have gone back a lot. The standard of football was terrible. Ballyfore looked good last year but they have gone back a lot in a year.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Too many clubs taking matches though with nobody to do umpire and linesman. And a few stewards to help keep the calm on the line.

Not making any excuses for the behaviour, and the manager in question would not be shy about dishing out abuse, but if there are no neutral people at the venue how can there be any justice dished out in these incidents?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Sickening scenes! How disgusting.