Offaly county team managements 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Sharp Eye
All Star

Re: Offaly county team managements 2014

Post by Sharp Eye »

While I have not heard any reliable confirmation, I am sure that Brian Whelahan must surely have been appointed manager of the Offaly Senior Team at the Co Board Meeting last night. Surely the Co Board have not deferred the matter to the December Co Board meeting as appointment of a county manager is seriously overdue.
Kevin wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:With Brian Whelahan being ratified as senior team manager on Tuesday next, I wonder is there any new talent available to him. Ollie Baker had 8 under 21 hurlers in his panel. Surely that means that there must be no other under 21/minors available that might be an addition to the panel. Have some players decided to give up county hurling and play county football instead?. While I am not that familiar with hurling in Offaly at the moment, it still looks very challenging for Brian.
Anyone know for sure that Brian Whelahan has been offically 'ratified' at this stage (not sure how this all works, but I've only seen the term 'recommended' in connection with his name)?

Also any idea who is in the hunt for the minor job at this stage? Just wondering and hoping this isn't just sitting. Lots of work to be done with the minors and the supporting structure from what I've read here and in other places. Important appointment.[/quote

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Hard to see how Pascal going to juggle the demands of Athy and Offaly minors?
I wonder how the county board would feel about this given the expectations for the county minor team next year? Does the county minor job not deserve to be taken a little bit more seriously? I wonder if this would happen in too many counties..... where the Co minor manager is also a manager of an aspiring senior club team.... or maybe it is doable???
jimbob

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

High School Musical wrote:I don't know about ye lads, but I'm seriously turned on by Vicky Gomersall on Sky Sports News right now.
I don't know what it is about her.
To be honest, I can't think straight when I'm like this.
Why I even bothered to log in is beyond me.......
Attention all management teams...

HSM may be available as a selector if you move quickly. :wink:
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Sharp Eye wrote:While I have not heard any reliable confirmation, I am sure that Brian Whelehan must surely have been appointed manager of the Offaly Senior Team at the Co Board Meeting last night. Surely the Co Board have not deferred the matter to the December Co Board meeting as appointment of a county manager is seriously overdue.
Kevin wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:With Brian Whelahan being ratified as senior team manager on Tuesday next, I wonder is there any new talent available to him. Ollie Baker had 8 under 21 hurlers in his panel. Surely that means that there must be no other under 21/minors available that might be an addition to the panel. Have some players decided to give up county hurling and play county football instead?. While I am not that familiar with hurling in Offaly at the moment, it still looks very challenging for Brian.
Anyone know for sure that Brian Whelehan has been offically 'ratified' at this stage (not sure how this all works, but I've only seen the term 'recommended' in connection with his name)?

Also any idea who is in the hunt for the minor job at this stage? Just wondering and hoping this isn't just sitting. Lots of work to be done with the minors and the supporting structure from what I've read here and in other places. Important appointment.[/quote
Thanks for the note on this. You must be right or we are in trouble as you infer.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Ah Jaysus, Bord na Mona Man, what are ya waiting for?
Wife that girl.

http://youtu.be/kLPlhvgE9qA

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

High School Musical wrote:Ah Jaysus, Bord na Mona Man, what are ya waiting for?
Wife that girl.

http://youtu.be/kLPlhvgE9qA
It's all coming back, it's coming back to me now.
The time we spent together back in '88 when she came down to tour the bogs and we fell for one another. I thought she was the one.
We kept in touch for a while after she left Ireland but it fizzled out eventually.
I've sometimes wonder what became of her afterwards.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Rough enough Euro costume, was like something you would see in the "Pull Inn" back in the day!! Music was a lot better in the Inn though..... :wink:

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Any word on how Sid is taking the idea that a no. of his best hurlers are looking to play with the senior footballers next yr?

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Rough enough Euro costume, was like something you would see in the "Pull Inn" back in the day!! Music was a lot better in the Inn though..... :wink:
Booravision at its best!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Quinn on board with Faithful

Clara and Offaly's Joe QuinnNew Offaly hurling manager Brian Whelahan has secured the services of highly-rated physical trainer Joe Quinn for the coming season.

The Faithful have commenced training under the Clara man, who has worked alongside a host of teams in the midlands, including Garrycastle, Drumcullen, Toomevara, Abbeylara and Athlone IT.

The former Offaly full back, who runs his own strength and conditioning company called Aspire, was widely praised for his work with the Westmeath footballers over the past two years. With Quinn acting as physical trainer, they gained promotion to Division 1 of the Allianz League last spring, but his involvement with the Lake County ended when fellow Clara man Pat Flanagan was ousted as manager following a disappointing championship campaign.

Quinn still lines out for the Clara footballers.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/gaa/hurling ... 01-offaly/

It might just be me...but I hate this sort of statement!!

Playing the Offaly way...what way would that be exactly Brian? Passing the ball to each other...supporting the man...Wow, if that's the game plan then we're all set for an all Ireland!!

I don't want to judge too quick but I think Whelahan is way out of his depth for county management, and if he thinks that playing a style of hurling that we played 20 years ago is going to bridge the gap between Offaly & say the Kilkenny's & Clare's of this world then he's dillusuional!!

I presume Brian's "Offaly style" centres around ground hurling...but let's be honest, Offaly didn't win all Ireland's playing ground hurling, we won it because we had an outstanding half back line & 5 great scoring forwards...the reason I say 5 forwards is because I think we never quiet had a brilliant full forward throughout the 90's when we had success. We have no where near the quality we had back then, so why think that trying the formula that we had back then is going to get us close to winning something.

The other thing is every top county are better at ground hurling than we are...their also better high fielders of a ball than we are right now, we haven't beaten a big team in years & the gap between us & teams challenging for an all Ireland is as wide as its ever been.

I guess the league will tell a lot of tales, but I hope Brian & his back room staff have more up their sleeve than he's letting on here.

Slan.
The Untouchable

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

only lost to kilkenny by 4 points last year fitness was a problem more than our hurling skill
better than the 20 points beating in which they gave us the years before hand, plus Sid might pick
the right panel and play them in their best poistions which could be a help to.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Kilkenny were awful last year in that game. They conceded 2 sloppy goals which they would nevet comcede again. Offaly were fortunate to get the first 2 goals. People say 4 points i say bad kilkenny defending

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Colin Egans and Bergins first two goals were great goals and well took Killeighman Bergins was in for goal of the year on TG4 later on in the year, nothing fortunate about them,

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

the Untouchable wrote:http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/gaa/hurling ... 01-offaly/

It might just be me...but I hate this sort of statement!!

Playing the Offaly way...what way would that be exactly Brian? Passing the ball to each other...supporting the man...Wow, if that's the game plan then we're all set for an all Ireland!!

I don't want to judge too quick but I think Whelahan is way out of his depth for county management, and if he thinks that playing a style of hurling that we played 20 years ago is going to bridge the gap between Offaly & say the Kilkenny's & Clare's of this world then he's dillusuional!!

I presume Brian's "Offaly style" centres around ground hurling...but let's be honest, Offaly didn't win all Ireland's playing ground hurling, we won it because we had an outstanding half back line & 5 great scoring forwards...the reason I say 5 forwards is because I think we never quiet had a brilliant full forward throughout the 90's when we had success. We have no where near the quality we had back then, so why think that trying the formula that we had back then is going to get us close to winning something.

The other thing is every top county are better at ground hurling than we are...their also better high fielders of a ball than we are right now, we haven't beaten a big team in years & the gap between us & teams challenging for an all Ireland is as wide as its ever been.

I guess the league will tell a lot of tales, but I hope Brian & his back room staff have more up their sleeve than he's letting on here.

Slan.
I read the Article and was very happy to hear that Brian is going to try and return to the value that made Offaly great and away from the sh*t that we have play for the last few years.
If we don't have the quality of players that we had back in the 90 so be it. But at least we can play a game that suits Offaly hurling and Offaly supporter enjoy watching.
The bull we put up with from the Clare league game 2 year ago, Galway game where we let in 5 of the worse goals I have ever seen. The Killkenny game where we only score 9 points. 9 Points for F**k sake and the masterstroke of putting Brian Carroll in on top of Brick Walsh.

The choice that in front of Offaly is simple believe in our-self or dump what make us great and go the Munster way of running the ball.
its a no brainier to me anyway.

The true is that if we have Tactics that suit The Offaly players we have in panel and we pick the best players in the county around the panel. They is no reason we can't beat anyone in the country.
Coolderry and Kilcormac Killoughey have showing that Offaly hurling can Compete with anyone but what has struck me is the amount of people that Love watching Offaly Club hurling. I have meet People for Dublin coming to watch Offaly Club hurling. because they love watching Kilcormac Killoughey in lenister last year.
And Belmont, Clareen, Birr and St Rynagh are all pushing to break through.
Clare beat Cork in this year final. Kilkenny and Galway played in last year final. We are not far away for any of these four. Considering that we were a mess over the last few years and we have being push Galway to 7 point After letting in 5 goals. pushed Kilkenny to 5 point and only scored 9 points. and Pushed Cork to 5 points. and that over the last two years.
“Common sense is not so common.”