Offaly county team managements 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly county team managements 2014

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: The involvement of Danny Owens' management colleagues has been mentioned here and is worth noting. I'm not au fait with the roles of the two selectors but there is one thing I want to note. With about five minutes remaining in last month's semi-final with Clareen, during a break in play Ciarán Slevin approached the sideline from his half-forward position. He spoke to one of the selectors for about 10-15 seconds then moved back infield and took up a position in the half-back line. I note CS did not approach Danny Owens and DO was not consulted in this. I am assuming CS made the call himself to play as a 'sweeper' and cleared this with the selector. In any event K-K were awarded a close-in free about three minutes later, Slevin went up to take it and stayed in the half-forward line after this.
Yeah, i saw this as well. it was from a Clareen free back in in-front of there goal. but this is an example of good management. So Kilcormac Killoughey were defending. This is pre-match set up from Kilcormac Killoughey to deal with puck out. They drop Slevin or Mahon and their two midfield back into the half back line. The disadvanatge of this tactics is that your short a forward so short puck out or short free one forward has to work twice as hard. The advantage is your half backs and full backs have a huge amount of protection. This work really well for Kilcormac Killoughey. If the Offaly half back had this protection we be a force to be reckoned with. Slevin approached the line and ask if he or Mahon should go back and was told he should, because Mahon was at full forward. This is Selector and manger being all on the same page.
Lone Shark wrote:I would tend to agree with POTH that a player who has played at the highest level in the last few years would strike me as better equipped than a man who has done a good job at club level.
No county in the country has come close to Kilkenny over the 10 year on an consistent basic. Tipperary, Cork and Galway all put it up to Kilkenny at different time but not consistently. That is the highest level so we can only pick player that have retired from these county over the last 5 to 6 years.
That leaves us with Donal Og Cusack, Sean Og Hailpin, Ollie Canning, Noel Hickey or Eddie Brennan. Have i miss anyone. Add in a any name you can think of.
So that our short list.
Of that list how many of these super intercounty hurlers has manage any team at any level and how many would come manage Offaly?

Plain of the Herbs and Lone Shark your some of the best poster on this website.
i can see your point about Brennan experiences with Kilkenny being a huge asset to Offaly but surely you can see the point in have a manager that has actually manage before?
Brennan as part of a management team but not a manager. not yet.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

what we all seen to be saying is that recent managers have not got the best out of offaly and we need better . my worry is that we get an other ollie baker whos first love will be always be clare and offaly were a challange but he had a great year , clare winning would have been ever clare man dream which is fair enough . e brennan want to see kilkenny winning next year and j dooley want offaly.
i worry that we would pick a manager because he was a great player or had played recently then brian whelahan or brendan murphy might be the right men surely that is not enough or is it?
too many good players have opted out over the last few year because lads know when things are not right .i hope this mess wont encourage lads like d currams c mahon to opt for football because d owens was not considered and maybe r hannify and p cleary hang up their boots . that why it needs to be sorted if their someone who want the job and can get more out of offaly get out there and find him quickly i dont care where he from but if he is there he will need good selectors which we have not had either . fitness is also a problem we need to create a centre back because g healion j brady p cleary dont have enough pace . r hannify want to play to much hurling and has no timber for centre back . we have no real good corner backs but the rest of the team we have lots of option. whoever get the job it not going to be easy

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'll throw it out there.......

Cillian Farrell managed Meath seniors for the last 3 years. Is he better equipped than Eddie Brennan? Would he have anything to offer? I honestly don't know, however it would be good to have someone from this end of the county involved in some capacity my opinion.
I await my earbashing.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

bracknaghboy wrote:I'll throw it out there.......

Cillian Farrell managed Meath seniors for the last 3 years. Is he better equipped than Eddie Brennan? Would he have anything to offer? I honestly don't know, however it would be good to have someone from this end of the county involved in some capacity my opinion.
I await my earbashing.
Would agree 100% with you about having someone from this end involved in some way , might bring new ideas and freshen the thing up a bit, even with underage or something. There hasnt been a whole lot of progress with any Offaly team over the past while when numerous greats from the far end took charge.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Toxicity, you are making it up to suit yourself if the Slevin example I used is an example of good management. For me it is an example of a player taking ownership. Which is fine, that’s leadership. But Owens’ lack of input is striking and it is Owens’ suitability to manage an inter-county team that is being debated..

Implementing tactics and gameplans is one thing. Counteracting an opponent’s tactics is quite another. Danny Owens has never stood in a dressing room as part of a team who successfully counteracted a team playing a running game. I’d prefer someone with some experience of being part of this.

Look at the Offaly team currently. Offaly have one of the physically strongest teams in the country. At least 10 of the outfield hurlers who started against Kilkenny last June are comfortable catching the ball. Gaining possession is one facet of play I couldn’t fault Offaly on this year. And I don’t think Offaly could have played the game any more directly against Kilkenny. They must have created about 20 goal chances that day. Given physical strength, ability in the air and having any combination of Bergin, Dooley and Egan close to goal that appeals to me as the best way to go presently.

That’s a big change since 2006 when Gary Hanniffy was the only attacking player who could catch a ball and the whole thing fell asunder when Limerick moved Mark Foley to nullify him. Meanwhile Kevin Brady was the only defender who could catch a ball consistently.

If you think the old Offaly played a style of hurling similar to hockey you are mistaken, because that never happened. And as I have pointed out before, giving the ball away and chasing after it like dogs chasing cars will work if the opposition turn possession over easily. That doesn’t happen any more.

Dermot Healy did change Offaly’s hurling style. Ask anyone around then. Or read any of the several tributes paid to DH by hurlers he improved.

Another reservation I have regarding Danny Owens is Danny Owens’ position as a County Councillor. The local elections will be contested next year (unless the Government of the day defer them as happened previously) and the campaign will be in full swing as Offaly build up to the Leinster quarter-final in Kilkenny. It would be impossible for Owens to manage the Offaly team while spending his evenings knocking on doors around Tullamore and its environs.

Owens’ profile being enhanced in the media by virtue of a position as Offaly hurling manager is quite another issue and one which cannot be ignored. As I drove to Tullamore for the recent hurling semi-finals I heard John Leahy on radio give what I felt was a political broadcast, taking a populist line on the ‘hurling in Birr issue’.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Where do I start?

Aah, feckitt, it brought a smile. Thank you.
bracknaghboy wrote:I'll throw it out there.......

I await my earbashing.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I would like to see an Offaly Born Manager with Inter-County Management experience manage the Offaly Senior Hurling Team. Former Offaly players such as Pat Fleury, Padraig Horan & Kevin Martin have the experience and "Drive" to bring a Leinster title to Offaly within 2 years.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A possession game and intelligent use of possession are slightly different things.
15 short passes is unlikely to be the best use of the ball, no more than the Offaly habit of just hitting away everything quickly in the general direction of our forwards. The Offaly 'quick ball' game worked years ago when backs were the slowest players on the field, could be caught flatfooted and when games were decided on an aggregation of 1-1 individual match ups.

Kilkenny don't play a possession game per se, but they use the ball intelligently. Their movement off the ball is masterful, yet they make the game look simple.
One great catch, one offload to a man who has drifted into space. And then a decisive clearance, or a playmaking ball, or a shot. Why over elaborate when you can skewer your opponents so efficiently?

Offaly now have catchers, but we still don't have that sort of support play. Look at our gameplan against Waterford. Hit it down to Colin Egan and then...and then...nothing. No support runners, no drifters, just onlookers.
This again stems from a disregard of possession that has been a feature of Offaly hurling in recent times. Whether it's coaches urging players to play hockey hurling, or roaring at fellas to 'get rid of it', 'drive it', 'let it off', players aren't being trusted enough and allowed develop the more sophisticated aspects of their game, like off the ball movement and support play.

We need someone who can coach our lads to improve on this sort of intelligent link play. Sadly, I'm not sure that expertise exists within Offaly. Maybe there are exceptions, but look at how unsuccessful we have been in coaching the 'Offaly way' outside of Offaly.

Our options are, an expensive proven option, or a less expensive punt on a fresh coach who isn't long out of the game. That's why I'd be happy to give Eddie Brennan a shot.
The players would respect his ilk far more than some of the throwback local names being bandied around.
There are fellas who have managed for years and who will still never be good enough.
What club and county teams did Brian Cody manage before he took the Kilkenny job?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just to pick up on a few of the points raised here:
Sharp Eye wrote:I would like to see an Offaly Born Manager with Inter-County Management experience manage the Offaly Senior Hurling Team. Former Offaly players such as Pat Fleury, Padraig Horan & Kevin Martin have the experience and "Drive" to bring a Leinster title to Offaly within 2 years.
Two aspects to this that would cause me to raise one eyebrow at the thought. Firstly, the reason that most of our county players are county players is because they don't show the drive when they get handed the jersey, they show the drive when they're miles away from it but they work hard towards their goal. If I was a former Offaly player and I wanted to manage Offaly, I'd be making sure to be involved in management and to be adding skills to my range all the time. In fairness to Padraig Horan, he was managing his native club this year and he's always involved. I'm not saying I would or wouldn't endorse him for the job, but at least he's involved in the game now. Kevin Martin had a club championship and intercounty experience under his belt two years ago, but I genuinely don't know what he's been doing since then? Ditto Pat Fleury - is he doing anything beyond analysis?

Secondly, we have to go back to the point about how the game has changed. Five years ago is a lifetime in the sport right now, Kilkenny changed the game utterly, while Cork, Dublin and Clare all innovated this year to unseat them. The rules are interpreted differently to how they were a decade ago, it's a very different sport now. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but recent experience, either playing or managing, strikes me as imperative.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Toxicity, you are making it up to suit yourself if the Slevin example I used is an example of good management. For me it is an example of a player taking ownership. Which is fine, that’s leadership. But Owens’ lack of input is striking and it is Owens’ suitability to manage an inter-county team that is being debated..

Implementing tactics and gameplans is one thing. Counteracting an opponent’s tactics is quite another. Danny Owens has never stood in a dressing room as part of a team who successfully counteracted a team playing a running game. I’d prefer someone with some experience of being part of this.
I'd actually take that one step further - I've never seen the K-K hurlers under Owens do anything different, bar maybe change a player or two in the corners. Because they've got so many of the best players in the county and because they've been injury free, it goes back to what we said at the start of the thread - this bunch, right now, require little or no managing. That's all very well when you have the best team in the competition, but we're not so foolish as to think that Offaly are the most talented group of hurlers in Ireland and they just need someone to get out of their way. That's all he does with K-K, and as I said earlier in the thread, that's not a criticism - he's doing what works.
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Another reservation I have regarding Danny Owens is Danny Owens’ position as a County Councillor. The local elections will be contested next year (unless the Government of the day defer them as happened previously) and the campaign will be in full swing as Offaly build up to the Leinster quarter-final in Kilkenny. It would be impossible for Owens to manage the Offaly team while spending his evenings knocking on doors around Tullamore and its environs.

Owens’ profile being enhanced in the media by virtue of a position as Offaly hurling manager is quite another issue and one which cannot be ignored. As I drove to Tullamore for the recent hurling semi-finals I heard John Leahy on radio give what I felt was a political broadcast, taking a populist line on the ‘hurling in Birr issue’.

I'm not sure about this. Firstly, any person has personal and professional issues to keep on top of, Owens is no exception. On the one hand, you can understand why so many people involved in intercounty GAA are teachers and students, because they have the time to give to their craft, but on the other, overachievers in life tend to overachieve in sport. Rest assured that yours truly is not about to say that FF councillors are the benchmark for professional success, however in keeping with the old adage "if you want something done, ask a busy person" I wouldn't hang a man for the ability to keep a lot of balls in the air. That said, the county board should be able to lay out exactly what's going to be expected of the manager, time wise, and to make sure that he keeps to that. You don't want to get into a situation where the county board takes it for granted that the task will be given at least 25 hours per week of Owens' time, but he thinks differently. If everything is laid out on the table at the start and Owens is willing to commit to doing everything that needs to be done, I wouldn't let that be an issue.

On the topic of using the manager job as a platform, I think that's an issue for electoral fairness, rather than an issue for Offaly GAA. That's something that Midlands Radio 3, the local newspapers and his rival candidates will have to watch closely. He'll get plenty of airtime, particularly during the league, and it's up to the journalists talking to him to be concise and report what he says on hurling matters, but to cut out any waffle about "love of county" designed to serve a different end. Again, that's not to say he would do this, but the John Leahy point was well made.

I also heard that bit from Leahy by the way, en route to the same games. It was hugely frustrating, not a word said about the teams, about hurling, about tactics, about key battles, but instead a load of rhetoric about what field of grass should be used. If Midlands 103 had any sense, that should have been the catalyst to bump him down the pecking order and to give Joe Troy more airtime instead. I find him very informative when he's covering games and at least he talks about the game of hurling, as opposed to the politics of it.
Bord na Mona man wrote: Kilkenny don't play a possession game per se, but they use the ball intelligently. Their movement off the ball is masterful, yet they make the game look simple.
One great catch, one offload to a man who has drifted into space. And then a decisive clearance, or a playmaking ball, or a shot. Why over elaborate when you can skewer your opponents so efficiently?
Funnily enough, I think this went out of their game a little bit in the last few years. They put such emphasis on every man's ability to win their own ball that they tended not to look too hard at where they were hitting the ball - once there was a wasp coloured jersey in the area, it's up to that man to win it. He swung timber all round until the sliothar was his, and Brian Cody glowered at the ref to make sure the whistle was swallowed. I simplify of course, but that was Kilkenny playing to their strengths. The skill was in the fact that these monsters in the battle for loose play turned into precision surgeons when the ball was in their hand.

The offload often came about because it took two or three tacklers to dispossess, so players knew to drop off and wait for the (often dodgy) handpass.
Bord na Mona man wrote: Offaly now have catchers, but we still don't have that sort of support play. Look at our gameplan against Waterford. Hit it down to Colin Egan and then...and then...nothing. No support runners, no drifters, just onlookers.
This again stems from a disregard of possession that has been a feature of Offaly hurling in recent times. Whether it's coaches urging players to play hockey hurling, or roaring at fellas to 'get rid of it', 'drive it', 'let it off', players aren't being trusted enough and allowed develop the more sophisticated aspects of their game, like off the ball movement and support play.

We need someone who can coach our lads to improve on this sort of intelligent link play. Sadly, I'm not sure that expertise exists within Offaly. Maybe there are exceptions, but look at how unsuccessful we have been in coaching the 'Offaly way' outside of Offaly.
Again, I'm not altogether sure what this "Offaly way" is. There's a bit of the Holy Ghost about it - there's widespread acceptance in rural areas that it exists, but people would struggle to define what it looks like.

What I mean is this - a typical Clare score this year was struck on the run from around midfield, usually after a couple of handpasses, or perhaps swept over from out on the flanks by an inside forward sweeping out in an arc and shooting on the turn after taking a short pass. The typical Kilkenny score came from a great catch down one of the wings, usually a swashbuckling run of eight steps or so and either shrugging off the tackler or laying it back.

Cork this year used the full width of the pitch, playing plenty of diagonal balls and evading contact where possible. They'd prefer to strike the ball from a difficult angle under no pressure rather than go down the middle through traffic - which would be in stark contrast to Dublin, who liked to go for scores from close range, driving with purpose at defenders until they go to within 30m of goal.

These were the "bread and butter" type scores for these teams. I've no idea what Offaly's "plan A" point looked like, and I don't know if the players knew either. For that matter, is there such a thing with K-K?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Some excellent points on this thread......

Going back to the issue of manager, i think the eddie brennan idea is ridiculous..... no experience and we are willing to take a punt on a novice.... would Kilkenny take a chance on Brendan Murphy managing them.... i think not!! Perhaps have some involvement as a coach but really you should earn your stripes as a coach before you are considered at this level.....

There are a few out there and a good joint team incl manager and selectors could be made from the following: Managerial candidates: Danny Owens, Ger Coughlan, Liam Hogan, Ken Hogan, Vincent Teehan, Kevin Martin & Cillian Farrell?????

selector/coaching options: any of the above plus Johnny Dooley, Johnny Pilkington, Damian Fox, Brian Whelehan, Steven Byrne, John Troy, Aidan Hanrahan, Donal Franks, Jimmy Dunne, Cillian Farrell, Joe Errity, Adrian Cahill.

Why on Gods earthly world can we not have pride in who we are, value our own hurling knowledge and masses of experience which other counties envy and use them to garner a bit more respect in ourselves and our jersey..... Isnt it what Cork Kilkenny and tipp do the whole time!!!!!

People look at Clare and what they have achieved in a short space.... there is no reason why this Offaly team couldnt reach an all ireland final with a backroom team using some of the above and backed up with proper resources in relation to physical fitness and nutrition etc.... That is as basic as what clare did but with a good backroom and a talented bunch of players with the right attitude and masses of committment working under a non partizan regime, see what was achieved..... No more than cork or Limerick with young teams this year.

Dont tell me that if we were properly organised and resourced, then we couldnt achieve a bit more..... I hate the way we keep feeling sorry for ourselves. Only we can change this and it can be done using the knowledge within the county in my opinion as we are the people who know our own hurlers best....
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

jimbob17 wrote:Some excellent points on this thread......

Going back to the issue of manager, i think the eddie brennan idea is ridiculous..... no experience and we are willing to take a punt on a novice.... would Kilkenny take a chance on Brendan Murphy managing them.... i think not!! Perhaps have some involvement as a coach but really you should earn your stripes as a coach before you are considered at this level.....

There are a few out there and a good joint team incl manager and selectors could be made from the following: Managerial candidates: Danny Owens, Ger Coughlan, Liam Hogan, Ken Hogan, Vincent Teehan, Kevin Martin & Cillian Farrell?????

selector/coaching options: any of the above plus Johnny Dooley, Johnny Pilkington, Damian Fox, Brian Whelehan, Steven Byrne, John Troy, Aidan Hanrahan, Donal Franks, Jimmy Dunne, Cillian Farrell, Joe Errity, Adrian Cahill.

Why on Gods earthly world can we not have pride in who we are, value our own hurling knowledge and masses of experience which other counties envy and use them to garner a bit more respect in ourselves and our jersey..... Isnt it what Cork Kilkenny and tipp do the whole time!!!!!
You're just name checking every Offaly man who lifted a fertilzer bag full of hurleys on the sideline at this stage.
If our hurling knowledge was the envy of other counties then we'd surely have more success stories than sackings when it comes to Offaly managers working in other counties.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

This is why I log onto uibhfhaile.com - for debate of this quality – some excellent contributions.

BNMM make a fair point – who have we exported to coach the ‘Offaly Way’? The likes of JP, BW, MD, CF and KM to club sides in Leix, Galway and on the inter-county side to the likes of Meath and Westmeath. Pad Joe passed through the LK revolving door for a while.

We are not in ‘wave a magic wand and t’will all be alright’ territory like we were pre-Diarmuid Healey in 1979. In 1981 we beat Leix and KK and low and behold we were in an all-Ireland final – different world!! We need to get our structures right within the county and specifically coaching at underage level and I’ve harped on about this on the minors thread already.

Lone Shark –for a large ball man- has made some very good points on this thread. It’s worth asking what this ‘Offaly Way’ is and why some of us get all misty-eyed about it.

I feel Owens is being written off in some way as an ogre of a different generation - as if he wouldn’t be capable of assemble a backroom team and to delegate duties and rolls. I have to say, in the modern game, I’d have no issue in the example given in the KK v Clareen game of CS consulting a tactical coach over a manager. That’s good delegation in my book.

Gone is the day when one man is responsible for ever call made on or before match day. Someone on the wireless was making this point recently that Jason Ryan and Jim Gavin on the size of their management teams. How could they begin to manage and get through to everyone in that kind of a set up without delegating left, right and centre?

I have to say I reject this notion of ‘you have to have hurled with the current generation to coach them’ or ‘you have played in the modern era to coach tactics’.

JBM ( or someone in his set up through good delegation) had the foresight to retain David Matthews - holder of the national 800 meter record - as fitness and conditioning coach. This was a pivotal appointment in my book and turned a team who OY competed against in PUC in the last two seasons into genuine all Ireland contenders. You could see how they could stretch the legs at crucial points in the games against KK, Dublin and drawn AIF which is classic endurance-running stuff. Yet JBM hung up the hurl for club and county in 1986. Accepted, JBM is a Cork icon but players are very quick to turn on a coach if the set-up was wrong regardless of pedigree.

To put a suggestion out there - what would be wrong with a Danny Owens/Francis Forde coaching ticket with someone from DCU High Performance Centre who happened to be looking to build up the coaching CV a bit? In this case, Owens would have little to do with conditioning or tactics – the latter which seems to exercise most folk about his appointment. His remit would be man-management, player welfare, meeja and integration of the coaching and tactical programme into everything else which in my view is the essence of good management.

Lord knows our options are limited at the moment following the latest episode of ‘Carry on … Offaly County Board’

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

great post durra just one thing i feel d owens is very hands on as a manager i rember he told c slevin to put the first 6 puckout down on top of p maher in the thurles game and told c mahon not to try catching them just break them and thats what happened and c mahon completely destroyed maher .that tactics most modern managers would keep the ball away from maher

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

MIchael Cleary from Tipperary was a name being bandied about this morning.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

what are the cb at .
cop on county board talk to d owens e coughlan j errity j pilkington b whelahan k martain even david franks or a fogerty . it starting to look like anyone will do except d owens.
we need better than m cleary no tipperary man has improve offaly before now .
far away fields are greener????