Fr Manning Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
manfromdelmonte
All Star

Fr Manning Cup

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Group 1
Westmeath V Longford
Sligo V Cavan

Group 2
Roscommon V Offaly

Round 1 Saturday, 13th July

Group 2
Leitrim V Kildare

Tuesday 16th July

Group 2
Kildare V Roscommon

Round 2 – Wednesday, 17th July

Group 1
Longford V Sligo
Cavan V Westmeath

Group 2
Offaly V Leitrim

Round 3 – Wednesday, 24th July 2013

Group 1
Sligo V Westmeath
Longford V Cavan

Group 2
Leitrim V Roscommon
Offaly V Kildare

Finals – 7th August 2013
only the best...

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Fr Manning Cup

Post by Lone Shark »

I was in at this tonight - Roscommon won by a point, 1-9 to 0-11. Offaly started slowly, conceded the first two scores, but they got into it for the rest of the first half and with the half back line in very good form, they took control of the tie. They went 0-6 to 0-4 in front and it could have been a lot more - they tried to walk the ball in very close at times and Jordan Hayes also hit the bottom of the post with a goal attempt. Then a blocked down shot was worked all the way down the field by the Rossies and a couple of missed tackles allowed them to get a goal, giving them a one point half time lead they didn't deserve.

That said if Offaly were good enough to win it they could have and they just couldn't get ahead in the second half. Roscommon went three up, 1-7 to 0-7, and Offaly got three good points to level, but they were now struggling at midfield after winning that sector in the early stages. Again some silly turnovers cost them two scores and though they got a late point to give themselves a chance of a draw, the equaliser never came.

It's hard not to get wrapped up in a game like that, but stepping back from it and looking at it objectively, this is a good competition and I hope Offaly continue to treat it with respect - more than a few local people were keen to point out to me that we played a big part in the debate over whether or not it should be scrapped by making a hames of our attempts in this competition last year. Also, a lot of players showed up very well. All of the starting backs were decent, with PJ Daly and Gavin Smith particularly impressive, and at midfield Ciarán Maher was probably the best individual - a little bit slow in his delivery and he faded a little, but good in the air and got on a lot of ball - real promise.

Up front not too many forwards made headway, Shane Tierney and Ryan Heavin (0-4 each) were the big scorers, no other forward really got into the game. Excellent match though, good learning curve and anyone available should make the trip to Clara next Wednesday evening for the second round, it would be well worth watching.

Team:

Kevin Kinahan (Na Fianna); Conor Dunne (St Vincents) (0-1), Cathal Mangan (St Vincents), PJ Daly (St Vincents); David Dempsey (St Vincents), Gavin Smith (Gracefield), Adam Keyes (Shamrocks); Ciarán Maher (St Broughans), Clint Horan (Na Fianna); Dylan Hyland (Na Fianna) (0-1), Lee Hyland (Edenderry), Shane Tierney (St Vincents) (0-4); Jordan Hayes (Edenderry) (0-1), Ryan Heavin (Ferbane/Belmont) (0-4, 1f), Luke Dignam (Clara).

Subs: Brian Ryan (St Vincents) for L Hyland, Tom Corcoran (Ballycumber/Tubber) for Horan (Blood), John Corcoran (Ballycumber/Tubber) for Kinahan, Aaron Moore (Tullamore) for Dignam, Conor Owens (Ballycumber/Tubber) for Hayes.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

The Leitrim fixture is put back to August sometime, as far as I know, will put up the date when I know for sure. Kildare next, they're physically very imposing, but a full strength Offaly could beat them. Conor Dunne was called up from the 15s squad, had an excellent game last night.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I was there too as i had a neighbour and son of a friend in action and there were a number of club lads involved. I never knew that there was such a competition in place but its great that OY players are getting exposure to this level of competition. It was played at a very high tempo and Offaly probably shaded the first half but had plenty of wides and missed chances due to bad shot selection and poor forward play. The backs as said already did well except for the rossies goal where their lad ran from outside the 45 unchallenged to score......

The second half, Offaly seemed to dominate in territory but were very exposed at the back as Roscommon got a few scores on the break. In the last 10 minutes OY were all over the ros and could have had at least 2 goals while we hit the post and missed easy chances towards the end as the crowd and intensity lifted. I thought the referee made some shocking calls in this one that went against offaly and he did his best to help the ros blowing up early in 30 mins after at least 3 minutes injury time should have been played. A lot of the Offaly support around me were very unhappy. That said this is development and to that end, I was impressed with Daly at corner back and Maher at midfield while others to do well were Tierney in forwards and Smyth at the back. I was very impressed with how the Offaly lads moved the ball at times but sometimes they just gave the wrong ball and it all broke down. Roscommon would generally be strong at underage and are winning minor connaught on a consistent basis so to be competitive here in a game we should have won was encouraging even if disappointing........

Apparently offaly were missing a few stronger players that may have made a difference but i wouldnt be fully up to speed on this age group....I am told that Colin Kenny from Ferbane is still U16? and eligible but he wasnt togged or on the bench... For Offaly to win in these competitions, we need to have everyone up to the level involved.
jimbob

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Kildare 5-14
Roscommon 2-7

Big test for Offaly Saturday week, but capable if all players are fit and available.

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Match vs Kildare tomorrow at 11 in Cappincur.

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Offaly 0-13
Kildare 0-11
Terrific result, kicked the last 4 points to win by 2.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

12pts to 11 in favour of Offaly.
Great performance.
Kildare warm up more professional
Kildare physically stronger
Kildare trying kick out plan, (which failed miserably, especially in the first half)
Kildare a lot of comfort on the ball, but once Offaly stopped the overlap and upped the work rate we were well in the game.

I dont know a huge amount about the team,
Keeper, Kinahan very good presence, kick out, and made a great save
Full back, Mangan, good second half, no 2 was excellent in the second half
Half Back, Red head Smith lad at centre back and 2 wings solid.
Tierney, Hyland, and No 15, (a small red headed chap who dropped into the half back line were good. Tierney very lively all through, but forwards link up play was poor in the first half.
Tight first half Offaly up 6 to 5 at half time, (Tierney unlucky with a great goal effort that came back off the post), Kildare went 2 up mid way during the second half, but Offaly brought on Jack Murphy from Rhode who worked on keeping their centre back from coming up the field and was invloved in a lot of good link play. From here on Offaly backs turned a lot of ball and worked the ball patiently down the field a drew a number of fouls from Kildare, whose sheer size went against them.
It was a chink of light for the underage set up but would not get carried away. Physically, (whilst not the be all ) we were behind, with some weak links, and we need to develop these lads over the next 2 years.Kildare had a number of set plays and were trying stuff, which may reap dividends in 2 years time at minor. SOme of our forward play was really poor. But there wasa enough to suggest that if the will is there, we have potential too.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Went to the game this morning to support the lads and my nephew who was on the panel and was delighted with result and effort shown. This particular bunch are doing fairly well im told in their matches to date and would be one of the better teams in Leinster. Kildare at this level would be considered one of the best in the country and are extremely well organised with former Offaly and Westmeath senior manager Brendan Hackett in charge so to beat them was a good feat.... Kildare in size were humongous and would easily pass for a strong minor team. This is possibly McGeeneys influence with strength and conditioning being financed right down through the levels in Kildare.... Most were over 6 ft and built quite solid. That said, the Offaly lads were not found wanting in the physical stakes..... and from what i have seen and know, these Offaly lads have been on strength programmes since under 15, and having seen what is involved, it is pretty impressive and i was pleasantly surprised to see..... Alan Mulhall would be overseeing this process so hats off to them and their management on this.....

As for the game itself, Kildare were a little robotic at times and lacked a bit of craft that would have seen them through given their sheer size and power...Offaly however stuck to their task manfully and with Aaron Moore picking up a lot of breaks were just about the better team in first half....Offaly had a good bit more football than Kildare and could have won by more if they had converted two good goal opportunities. As it hotted up in 2nd half and we fell behind by two, it was fantastic to see us kick the last 4 scores to win a high intensity clash....

For me all of the Offaly lads acquitted themselves very well but Aaron Moore, Shane Tierney and Adam Keyes were excellent and Clint Horan had a serious second half at corner back...... One glaring observation for me was the absence of any Ferbane players on the team. To me they would be the strongest team in the county at this age and their absence is neither helping their own young lads develop or Offaly chances of success. I wonder is it that Ferbane are not playing ball with the development squads or that management just simply choose to ignore some special talent that is in that club......Id be shocked if there was nobody from ferbane good enough to make that Offaly team.....

That said the lads that played showed real pride and played their part manfully and it was heartening to see the lads beat the lillies back home with their tails between their legs..... Anyone in attendance would have thrived at the buzz and atmosphere around Cappincur afterwards and them young lads made me a proud Offaly football fan once more....
jimbob

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Match v Leitrim fixed for half 7 Thursday evening in Clara. Kildare beat Leitrim by 9 points on Monday, but by all accounts didn't have it all their own way, this is a highly rated Leitrim team.

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Big win against a very understrength Leitrim, 8-17 to 0-3; final next Wednesday night in Longford vs Westmeath.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Great stuff..... Ive seen this team in action twice this year and i have to say, they seem to play a nice brand of football and seem well organised.... good to have some positivity about an Offaly Football team as we havent had much to shout about of late.....
jimbob

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Leitrim rested their first 15 for the Ted Webb cup final which is played in Connacht
only the best...

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

A neighbour of mine in Dublin whose son is on the Dubs team at this age group was telling me about this Offaly team. They have met a few times over the years and last year Dublin beat Offaly. The Dub management were delighted with this win as they rate our lads very highly. He also said that OY had two of the best players he has ever seen at this age level. Hope this squad can stick together and get a competitive minor team together..

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Final vs Westmeath at 7:45 tomorrow evening in Pearse Park, Longford, after the shield final between Kildare and Sligo.