SFC Qualifier Draw - Offaly vs Tyrone

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: SFC Qualifier Draw - Offaly vs Tyrone

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

See this is down for 3pm on Saturday. Ain't around for it anyway, but hard to see a big crowd turning up for it at that time.
The downer after the hurling will keep a few who may have been tempted away too. Pity.
Micky Brazil gone to the States as well.
Regardless of what happens now though, real need to see committment from our best players to the panel over the coming months and prepare for Div 3 as this is where we need to see progress.

I think Offaly will turn in a decent display on Saturday, as we have nothing to lose but ultimately Tyrone will have too much for us.
But as I say no pressure on the lads, go out and enjoy the game, try a few things off the cuff and who knows?

Best of luck!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Micky Brazil gone to the States as well.
It's always disappointing when lads leave like that mid-campaign.
And aside from the lads that have left, I'm sure several other players have been contacted and have pending offers which is hardly good for focus.

tkmax
Junior C

Post by tkmax »

Havn't heard anything about Alan Mulhall being a doubt and can only hope that the previous contributor has got bad information as this would be a serious blow to our chances of even keeping the margin respectable. The fact that we conceded only a handful of goals in the league was due in no small part to the performances of Mulhall between the sticks and he was sensational against Kildare in Croker again, denying the lillies three goals with some top class goalkeeping.
The loss of Connor, one of the few players we have with a big physique, together with Maloney and Brazil is understanable but from an Offaly prospective extremely worrying given the previous "losses" of Dalton pender and Brady. In a county that just is not producing enough quality players to compete, the loss of any player is generally felt more acutely than would be in most other counties.
As has been mentioned though on a previous thread, the display against Kildare was very heartening and the lads played with some pride and spirit and that always goes a long way. For the 1st time this year we seemed to play with a bit of abandon and weren't shackled by the overly defensive system employed throughout the league. I think the better the opposition the more the manager has to trust his players (particularly our backs) to play their positions and not try to compensate for perceived weakness by overcrowding the 1st third by dropping back the half forward line.This, in my view only creates confusion while at the same time removing all bar the remotest of chances of getting decent ball into our own full forward line.
Unfortunately, given Tyrone's experience and quality I just don't see where an upset might come. In any event I hope for the players and manger's sake, who have put the hours in by all accounts, that they come away from O'connor park on saturday having put in a credible performance and with renewed hope for next season.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Could the county board not have done more to keep these players with the panel until after the Tyrone match.We probably weren't going to win even with Brian Connor ,John Maloney and Michael Brazil but they would have certainly helped alot.I don't want to see us getting humiliated.

I don't blame the players for taking the oppurtunity to go abroad but would a few weeks make a difference, we'll never improve if our best players decide to leave before July is here, it seems unfair on the players who have been training all year although I stress I can't blame the players for wanting to take the oppurtunity to go to America but I wonder are their team mates all that happy about it.

I assume the match is on a 3pm in order to suit Tyrones supporters.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

DAF wrote:Could the county board not have done more to keep these players with the panel until after the Tyrone match.We probably weren't going to win even with Brian Connor ,John Maloney and Michael Brazil but they would have certainly helped alot.I don't want to see us getting humiliated.

I don't blame the players for taking the oppurtunity to go abroad but would a few weeks make a difference, we'll never improve if our best players decide to leave before July is here, it seems unfair on the players who have been training all year although I stress I can't blame the players for wanting to take the oppurtunity to go to America but I wonder are their team mates all that happy about it.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you suggesting should have been done? I take your point and it is a shame from Offaly's point of view, however you have to remember that these lads all have to be gone for 60 days once they leave. If they left it until early July, that would leave them in danger of missing a county quarter final or a relegation final with their clubs - which in fairness would be a big issue for them all as well.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Lone Shark wrote:
DAF wrote:Could the county board not have done more to keep these players with the panel until after the Tyrone match.We probably weren't going to win even with Brian Connor ,John Maloney and Michael Brazil but they would have certainly helped alot.I don't want to see us getting humiliated.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you suggesting should have been done? I take your point and it is a shame from Offaly's point of view, however you have to remember that these lads all have to be gone for 60 days once they leave. If they left it until early July, that would leave them in danger of missing a county quarter final or a relegation final with their clubs - which in fairness would be a big issue for them all as well.

I'm not sure what could be done.I didnt realise they had to be out there for a certain amount of time, I was curious why a couple of weeks here or there made a difference and couldnt the county board have asked them to hold on for a bit.

I suppose there is nothing that can be done about the situation in this instance,

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

why bother their arse training all winter then fcuk off come championship, would they have left if
we had to beat kildare :?:

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

Its been confirmed David Brady broke a bone in his hand training Monday night..Things are looking increasingly bad for us..He had a great debut against Kildare and will be a loss no doubt as well as missing out on the experience of playing a decent team like Tyrone.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Re: Players going to America.

We'll assume that in most cases the management aren't aware of a player planning to leave the panel mid-championship.
Ideally a manager wants some sort of advance notice, so he can plan around it.

He should ask any players planning to go to the US or elsewhere to inform him of this by a certain date in the Spring time. Make it clear that any player who doesn't flag it at this point and then leaves later in the year will automatically rule himself out of the panel for the following year.

It might be harsh, but it lessens the chances of mid-summer surprises before key games.

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

Currams, Dooley, Mahon and Sean Ryan called into squad! This will be interesting especially Dooley who is a very fine foortballer.

offalyguy
Junior B

Post by offalyguy »

lostinjuniora wrote:This will be interesting especially Dooley who is a very fine footballer.
Has he any chance of featuring on Saturday?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Dooley is about a stone or 2 overweight he would be at nothing again the pace that tyrone are at.
Sean Ryan was there before didn't make it and won't, Currams was there last year its turning into
a joke at the moment, 4 hurlers go straight into the football squad :oops:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

No wonder you are lostinjuniora if you think adding Shane Dooley to the football squad for this game,at this time, makes any sense!

Oh wait, me phone, sorry lads have to take this, (Paul Mollen looking for me!!)

In general not bad thinking with Ryan, pace, and may feel there is something in it, Currams also. But Mahon & Dooley were clearly carrying injuries last week?
And Dooley has never played intercounty football?

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Taken from Hoganstand

Tyrone Senior Football Team v Offaly

O'Connor Park, Tullamore - Saturday 29th June @ 3.00pm

1. Pascal McConnell - An Baile Nua
2. Ryan McKenna - Eaglais
3. Danny McBride - An Srath Ban
4. Cathal McCarron - An Droim Mór
5. Conor Clarke - An Omaigh
6. Peter Harte - Aireagal Chiaráin
7. Conor Gormley - An Charraig Mhór
8. Colm Cavanagh - An Mhaigh
9. Sean Cavanagh - An Mhaigh
10. Matthew Donnelly - Trí Leac
11. Mark Donnelly - An Charraig Mhór
12. Ciaran McGinley - Aireagal Chiaráin
13. Darren McCurry - Éadan na dTorc
14. Martin Penrose - An Charraig Mhór
15. Connor McAliskey - Cluain Eo

16. Michael O'Neill - Cluain Eo
17. Aidan Cassidy - Eochar
18. Kyle Coney - Ard Bó
19. Kevin Gallagher - An Baile Nua
20. Conan Grugan - An Omaigh
21. Plunkett Kane - Oileán a'Ghuail
22. Jonathan Lafferty - Urnaí
23. Tiernan McCann - Coill an Chlochair
24. Aidan McCrory - Aireagal Chiaráin
25. Joe McMahon - An Omaigh
26. Justin McMahon - An Omaigh

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:No wonder you are lostinjuniora if you think adding Shane Dooley to the football squad for this game,at this time, makes any sense!

Oh wait, me phone, sorry lads have to take this, (Paul Mollen looking for me!!)

In general not bad thinking with Ryan, pace, and may feel there is something in it, Currams also. But Mahon & Dooley were clearly carrying injuries last week?
And Dooley has never played intercounty football?

Dooley is one of the best club players in the county so it makes no less sense than adding another good club player to the panel who hadn't been involved up to now.He won't start but may be a decent option from the bench.