Offaly v Waterford, SH qualifier, 22nd June 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly v Waterford, SH qualifier, 22nd June 2013

Post by Toxicity234 »

1 James Dempsey
2 Chris McDonald 3 David Kenny (Capt) 4 Dermot Mooney
5 Rory Hanniffy 6 Ger Healion 7 Derek Morkan
8 Brian Carroll 9 Kevin Brady
10 Colin Egan 11 Derek Molloy 12 Ciaran Slevin
13 Shane Dooley 14 Dan Currams 15 Joe Bergin

Its good to See Morkan and Currams back. let hope they are up to the pace of the game from the start.
Mahon and Cleary dropping out. I feel sorry for both of them.
and Parlon it a shame to miss a big game through injury.

I'm a big fan of Shane Dooley but he was a passanger for Kilkenny game. He want to step up to the mark on Saturday. I know Slevin was poor as well but Slevin was play his 2nd Championship game, His first at this level, Dooley is an old head in Offaly terms.

We gave away 11 point from frees last day. Its look like a lot but it not that bad, we need to improve on this but only just a little, every team is going to get 6-8 point from frees in a game. if we can defend well on keep Waterford to around 16-18 point we be half way to a win.

Healion will hold the Middle which is what we need. So if his man go out the field Carroll or Brady get close to him. Its a tough job for the midfielders.

after scoring 4 goals the last day you can expect Waterford to get numbers back into there Full back line, If they do that we will have space in the half forward line to pick off points, If we pick off these points the half back will have to follow there men and we be able to open up Waterford.
The Subs when they arrive must make an impact. Cleary, Mahon,Tom Carroll etc must all make an impact.
I think we'll get a win on Saturday.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

From reading all these comments i can get a sense of confidence in the team which was lacking for many years. I think they will go out and put everything in this game. They cant stand back. The physicallity shown in the game against kilkenny must be matched but i cant see waterford getting as many frees simply because i dont think they have the power to run at the offaly backs to the extent that kilkenny did.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Optimistic but VERY nervous - we have to be much more competitive for 70 minutes than against KK
I still make Waterford marginal favourites but we have to see this as a fantastic opportunity to beat a higher ranked team and open up the summer for ourselves with no one to be feared apart from KK and Tipp when on better form.
The panel from 1 to 27 have to grasp this opportunity tomorrow, back themselves, be physical but controlled and disciplined, and get the win no matter what.
Weather forecast not great so physicality to win meelees / 50:50's and get ball in hand could make all the difference on a wet day.
C'mon the faithful !!

uibhfaillian fear
Junior C

Post by uibhfaillian fear »

Is this match on the telly?

Backoftheoakwood
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by Backoftheoakwood »

New on here lads, have enjoyed reading your posts over the last few months and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here. Hopefully I can contribute to the debates also.

The match is not on TV which is a pity as I always like to record the games and look back over them when I come back from attending. The team in my mind is stronger than what lined out against Kilkenny. Molloy I think will be a much better option at centre forward than Mahon who has always seemed lost and out of his depth on the county scene. Mahon in fairness has a great engine but is severely limited in his hurling ability,Where as Molloy has always been well able to take scores and drive at defences. Had a very good game against them in 2008 I remember.

Del for Parlon is an obvious switch with him coming back...hopefully he'll be up to speed. Read on here he was pretty rusty against the U21's. Parlon is a loss though as he is always an option to throw in the forwards aswell. Currams for Sean Cleary is another obvious switch and hopefully he can deliver and use his physique. Cleary might be an option to use if we need someone with a bit of pace and skill though....wouldn't write him off at all and am expecting better things from him in the future.

Not convinced with starting Slevin again though. Fair enough he was dangerous for Kilcormac, but he was very soft in competing for ball the last day and missed 2 long range frees aswell as messing up a 1 or 2 chances of points in open play. Don't like to pick on lads but I hope he proves me wrong and Baker right in justifying his selection.

Pretty happy wit the rest of the team....Dempsey was immense the last day and more of the same from him. Chris Macdonald was a revelation, cleared an amount of ball, stuck to his man and was always giving the option to the man under pressure which led to him getting a lovely score. We need a big game from Kenny, if he can keep them out from getting goals we will have a great chance as they don't have the players of old to take scores like Eoin Kelly did in 2008. Mooney is the one I worry about back there, I thought it was his side that got exposed to often for the Kilkenny goal chances aswell as a couple of points and frees. Hoping he can tighten up back there. The half back line I thought done well the last day.....Rory was very solid....Eoin Larkin wasn't in the game at all apart from taking frees. Healion played well but got caught for pace when isolated but he'll be better suited to mixing it with Prendergast than Richie Power. Should go well I hope. Have already spoken about Del.

The Midfield is going to be where this game is won and lost. Kevin Brady has been immense for Coolderry in Midfield. Thought he done fairly well the last day bar a couple of aimless balls he hit. If he can up his game and play the way he is more than capable of and the way we have all seen him play for Coolderry it would go along way to winnning the battle here. Brian Carroll had one of the best games I have seen him play for Offaly in a long long time the last day. More of the same is needed. I recall him having an excellent game that day in 2008 against Waterford aswell, got some great scores. If they can take the loose ball that Kevin Moran and (Id assume Shane O'Sullivan will be moved out there aswell) Co usually get and turn it into scores and chances for our forwards this would be a major boost for the rest of the team.

The half forward line really need to up their game in my opinion. I've already spoken about Slevin and Molloy. Nit sure what Baker is going to do with Egan...wheather to leave him out on the 40 to be under our own puck outs or keep him on the edge of the square is up for debate. With Bergin, Currams and Dooley in there it could be an idea to leave him out so we could win some ball in the half forward line.

This is a huge game for Offaly and a win would breath confidence and enthusiasm into the county again...This year and last Kilcormac and Coolderry have done us proud on the Club scene and if the County team could kick on from that it would be the shot in the arm that is needed.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Welcome. Good to add to the Coolderry contingent already on board.
Backoftheoakwood wrote:New on here lads, have enjoyed reading your posts over the last few months and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here. Hopefully I can contribute to the debates also.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hoping we fight for every ball like our lives depend on it.

Would love to see Shane surprise us and the Waterford backs by mixing it up and getting out in front of his marker, win some frees and create some confusion.

Too many close calls have gone against us over the years.

Hopefully the doubt over whether we are for real will drive the boys on.

To the players, good luck tomorrow ... we're all behind you.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Monsoon here in Tullamore this morning which might interest those of the punting community.

Really looking forward to this one. A lot of our side featured in 08 when we could have taken a very good waterford side in at their prime when some light-touch defending on the day let us down.Our physicality has improved immeasurably since.

Listening to John Mullane speaking on de wireless before the Clare game and talking to a WD amigo of mine, you get the sense they are at a low ebb at the moment.

Thought they showed little heart for the fight when Clare upped it in Thurles. They were stuggling to get into the game big time but for a goal against the run of play.

The players should be feeling a sense of occaision about this one. Its set up for a great contest.

Another big start is crucial.

Hon' de Faithful!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i agree with Baker that we will have to hurl like the first half again kilkenny plus put in a second half
if we are to beat Waterford. the goals cover up alot of the display again the cats even doe it was great to get 4 again that kilkenny side .

but 9 points is a poor return for championship hurling theses times, if the goals don't come today
can we see offaly scoring maybe 18 to 20 points they need to win this game :?:

the 3 changes are good and makes the team stronger even doe Cathal Parlon is in hard luck as he hurl
a fine game wing back the last day.

this is the day for this offaly team to stand up and be counted, we have only maybe the win over Limerick in 2008 to look back on for this team last years win over wexford and thats it laois as well
a few seasons ago.

so Joe Bergin,Dooley,Currams,Brian Carroll, Hanniffy,Kenny, Kevin Brady know today is last chance saloon for them as a defeat today will more than likely be the last for most of them.

Waterford are not the side they were! but they are not to bad either they are a big side and will have no fear of this offaly side and they likes of Brick Walsh, Nagle, Kevin Moran and Pendergast
are top intercounty players and have been around a while and know how to win tight games.

if we are to win today we have to cut out the fouling and giving away the frees that we gave the last day. David Kenny will have to put in a good display for 70 minutes he wouldn't be my choice for fullback and has been found out a few times now at championship hurling at fullback! but thats only my opinion yes he would do a job in the halfback line but not fullback for me.

waterford will target Dermot Mooney today and not because he is a clubman of mine but i can't see why Paul Cleary isn't giving a spot in the fullback line he done well when he came on twice again kilkenny he is good in the air plus a good strike and reader of the game could see him early on in this game.

the fullforward line of Dooley,Currams,Bergin, if they all hit form are the best in the game and if we can get a good 70 minutes from Dooley and Currams we could be on our way to victory.

Egan and Molloy can win ball in the air and both are strong its a while since Derek Molloy put in adisplay in a offaly jersey hope its today. Slevin is lucky to start today and was not at the races the last day and was left on to long the last day, maybe he hits it off today if not he has to go early.

Carroll Brady midfield hurl well the last day but ran out of gas still like to see Carroll near the goals
as he can chip it with a few points most days and we will need them today. we can bring in Conor Mahon,Tommy Carroll,Sean Cleary, if we need legs to finish it out and the 3 all can add to the game
if call in.

So can we win yes if our big name players turn up as you can bet waterfords will, if we can hurl for the 70 minutes we can do it, but if we foul and don't hit points today i fear waterford will win by a few points, so i go for offaly by 4 points .......COME ON THE FAITHFUL.................... :D

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Conditions will be very wet and windy which will make it hard to score and hold onto ball, I think it will be tight game, im going for a draw something like Offaly 2 -12 Waterford 1-15.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A milestone game for Offaly.
Are Offaly a team who only muster up a 40-50 minute patch of serious hurling every year or a more resiliant force.
We'll know more by 9 tonight

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Best of luck Offaly hopefully we can put in a 70 min performance and not a 30 or 35 min like so often in d past. Think we can do it

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Poor performance in the second half.At half time we were well in the game being only 4 points behind with a big wind advantage in the second half but why we decided to play with a 2 man full forward line in the second half when we had the wind is beyond me.Our forwards can't win ball in the air and insist on pulling wildly rather than putting their hand up for the ball.Also David Kenny who I thought was outstanding was continually left completely isolated one on one with the full forward with no support, thankfully we got away with it tonight but this isn't the first time this has happened in the last few years and you's have to wonder why.No variety in our puckout strategy was disappointing aswell.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

an independent leix view on the game.

travelled over not knowing what to expect, as could not figure out where either county stood in the pecking order.

last sunday, laois/galway was a fascinating game on many fronts, none more so the tactical battle. truthfully the first time I saw a laois team prepare and execute a plan along modern day tactics. save for the god of joe canning, a monster shock would have occurred.

this offaly Waterford game was the polar opposite. I have no doubt now whatsoever that baker is clueless as an intercounty manager, as my best guess at his gameplan for offaly was to somehow try to be in contention coming into the closing stages and perhaps rob a win if Waterford froze.

the final scoreline is deceptive, if the Waterford forward line had converted even 1/3 of their second half goal chances, we were easily looking at a double digit win.

Waterford were better than I thought they would be, fitter in the end than offaly, and in brick they have the best centre half playing hurling today.

my read on the first half, was the wind was worth 6 points, and my recall of that near 42 minute half was offaly benefitting from schoolboy defending for the soft goal which allowed you to stay in touch. both deise midfielders missed golden goal chances, incredibly failing to hit the target. offaly were doing best when bypassing the half forward line and going direct into the full line, where I thought the deise looked more than shaky.

the second half Waterford owned, Kenny was heroic at full back, though how Waterford missed a series of goal chances beggared belief. from an offaly perspective, your midfield and half forward line mostly disappeared, and the supply to the full line was poor. walsh was like a magnet for every puckout and OY had no one to test him, putting shane Dooley out on him for ten minutes was some farce.

if you are looking through rose tinted glasses you could say that if currams had bagged the goal late on(o keeffe sublime stop), OY could have pulled it out of the fire, it would in effect have been daylight robbery.

Dempsey, Kenny , healion (for 50 mins), and currams were the only OY players that covered themselves with distinction. no class players(at this level) in midfield or half forward line, and it seems that Dooley and joe bergin tend to exercise themselves for 5 or 10 minutes and thereafter workrate drops. rory hanniffy has been a great soldier, his legs seemed to have run their course late on this evening.

very tough times ahead for OY, the spirit is still there, the class no longer.......the poverty of the OY subs compared to WD was noteworthy.

ps,

I thought that there was a lovely atmosphere, especially with the surprisingly big deise support. OCP is a great venue, it is now the ONLY big game venue, in play, in OY.

good luck to your U21s against KK midweek.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Suckin Diesel, your post is harsh but true in many aspects. On waterfords misses goal chances, to be fair, the second half was down to some brilliant defending and (some good refereeing and the 2 midfielders went for goals that would be goal of the season contenders at them distances). I hate this whole business of blame the manager but yes we were tacticless (if such a word exists).
To put Shane Dooley (who had done nothing from open play) on Brick Walsh and was limping badly was a farce.
Why not put Mahon standing with the Brick and just try and keep him out of it?
Zero puck out strategy, with 15 to 18 puckouts landing on Colin Egan. How did Brian Carroll stay on the pitch, he had clearly thrown in the towel with 15 mins to go.
Jake Dillon caused a lot of problems wandering all over the pitch and with better point taking of their chances alone they could have won by 7 or 8 such was the dominance near the end, but Currams should have caught that ball and stitched it, the pull first time left it at a great height for O'Keefe to save, and Dooleys follow up was pretty tame.
Mahon caused a lot of problems when he came on and (some for us as well) but you cant fault him for effort. He, too as clearly struggling with injury.

Where too from here? Hard to know, it is very sad for many of this team who have hurledfor many years now without a top team victory under their belts. If it is the end for Rory, he hurled really well, and was up against it, then who could blame him. For Brian Carroll, despite 2 points, he was well outplayed/outfought. Aside from that , Kevin Brady's legs were gone mid second half, but despite pucking 2 points, they were the clear winners of the midfield battle.
We were outclassed tactically with simple run and switch balls causing havoc. Ollie probably will go now, and we are starting from scratch. But for now the battle for me is hat we do at grass roots level. For 10 years now we have been huffing and puffing at senior level while the underage scene is crumbling.
Clubs and all stakeholders need a plan to work off to maximise the resources we have to change things around in how we prepare at underage to see more complete hurlers coming through.
It was a poor night too as a decent crowd had turned up and a win would have really lifted the mood among the GAA fraternity, (what apetite now for a game v Tyrone next week?) and after exiting the Leinster Champ in both codes in a week, again same too happen in qualifiers :(
I'll leave it to the hurling experts from here, was a very sad man last night, and up early now to clear the head with a long walk.