Offaly Vs Kilkenny Leinster Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Vs Kilkenny Leinster Hurling Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Match was shown in full on Setanta Ireland. Some thoughts –

Television doesn't represent human skin colour very well but Shane Dooley appeared to be carrying sunburn on his arms and on the back of his neck.

I’d be interested to see the proportion of possession because it’s possible Offaly had more of it than Kilkenny.

What did Cody say at half-time? I’d say he told them to run at Offaly through the centre of the defence. For Kilkenny’s first score of the second-half, TJ Reid cut in from the right wing and ran straight through the centre, something he didn’t do at all during the first half. Michael Rice and Lester Ryan frequently joined the attack during the second half, having stayed between the two ‘65s in the first half.

Kilkenny often ‘engineered’ frees by ‘turning’ when tackled making it appear that they were swung around. Still, Alan Kelly’s decision to spare Cathal Parlon a second yellow card balanced out many of the incorrect calls he made in Kilkenny’s favour.

Offaly sent oceans of ball into their full-forward line and could have scored another four goals. I am not exaggerating. Then again, Colin Fennelly might twice have goaled only for James Dempsey’s save on one occasion and dropping a pass on another.

The media herd deduced Kilkenny quickly to Offaly’s third goal with four quick points. That isn’t true. Offaly had a few half-chances of scores and it took Kilkenny about three minutes to score again (though they did hit some wides). It took Kilkenny about three minutes to score again. Kilkenny appeared to me to be in a mild panic during this stage. They wouldn't have expected Offaly to be still in the game at this stage. Cody is picked up on the touchline camera screaming at ‘Richie’ to do something (it’s not clear which Richie incurred his wrath).

Small things like – Joseph Bergin’s scuffed shot early in the second half. I think he was going for a goal similar to his first-half goal. And he had an angle on the defender to take him on and head for goal. Had Offaly picked off an odd few more scores? What if Daniel Currams’ goal reduced a five-point gap to two instead of what it did?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Television doesn't represent human skin colour very well but Shane Dooley appeared to be carrying sunburn on his arms and on the back of his neck.
??Relevance of this? am i missing something?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Relevance,
Akin to a club player turning up on a championship evening scalded after working on the bog. Manager goes ape, "The turf could have waited a day!! Jayz , will ya look at ya , scalded? How are ya goin to knock the shite out of that corner forward and ya in that state?"

Presume this is the implication, but despite Shane not playing that well, he is not naive enough to have gotten sunburnt in the lead up to the first round of the championship. I doubt this is the reason.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Match was shown in full on Setanta Ireland. Some thoughts –

I’d be interested to see the proportion of possession because it’s possible Offaly had more of it than Kilkenny.

What did Cody say at half-time? I’d say he told them to run at Offaly through the centre of the defence. For Kilkenny’s first score of the second-half, TJ Reid cut in from the right wing and ran straight through the centre, something he didn’t do at all during the first half. Michael Rice and Lester Ryan frequently joined the attack during the second half, having stayed between the two ‘65s in the first half.

Kilkenny often ‘engineered’ frees by ‘turning’ when tackled making it appear that they were swung around. Still, Alan Kelly’s decision to spare Cathal Parlon a second yellow card balanced out many of the incorrect calls he made in Kilkenny’s favour.

Offaly sent oceans of ball into their full-forward line and could have scored another four goals. I am not exaggerating. Then again, Colin Fennelly might twice have goaled only for James Dempsey’s save on one occasion and dropping a pass on another.

The media herd deduced Kilkenny quickly to Offaly’s third goal with four quick points. That isn’t true. Offaly had a few half-chances of scores and it took Kilkenny about three minutes to score again (though they did hit some wides). It took Kilkenny about three minutes to score again. Kilkenny appeared to me to be in a mild panic during this stage. They wouldn't have expected Offaly to be still in the game at this stage. Cody is picked up on the touchline camera screaming at ‘Richie’ to do something (it’s not clear which Richie incurred his wrath).

Small things like – Joseph Bergin’s scuffed shot early in the second half. I think he was going for a goal similar to his first-half goal. And he had an angle on the defender to take him on and head for goal. Had Offaly picked off an odd few more scores? What if Daniel Currams’ goal reduced a five-point gap to two instead of what it did?
Watched that game, despite an ad break in the first half! Offaly missed a few frees in the second half, and had the ball Eoin Murphy dropped, gone in, rather than be scooped out, who knows what would have happened, the KK backs were tested on Sunday, and Offaly exposed a few chinks.
Would the Richie be Richie Kavanagh? sorry couldn't resist!

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

Now i have waited a few days to put my bit in the debate about the match.lads a lot of us are giving out about the ref,is this the same ref that should have sent of Cathal Parlon off, the first yellow card could have been a red and then when he was on a card he pulled dangerous and got away with it.I was sitting that end of the stand,then also nobody has mentioned that as a Kilkenny forward was about to shot on goal there was a hurl thrown at him and neither ref or umpires coped it. Now i know lads are going to throw different things back at me but just saying not all calls went against us.We had a game plan and stucked with it, we never let Kilkenny run at our defence,maybe had to pull them down sometimes but better to give away a free than have them running through on goal.a few lads had good game and have being mentioned already (Brian,Chris) but Ger Healion was the man for me,as a few of us i was a little worried but silly us held the middle and very little got by him and his distribution to the forwards was very good. It was great to hear the offaly supporters chanting Offaly midway through the second half but the team deserved it and hopefully it lifted them and also the cheers as the team headed off at half time.Well done Offaly from a proud Offaly supporter.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Same as BB.

I was in the front of the stand taking refuge from the Gobi desert on the terrace and was sure Parlon would walk after his slap down on Reid.

Kelly gave us a a get out of jail card equal to the one Jimmy Cooney gave Mick Duignan when he attempted to remove Alan Markam's torso in '98.

The fan in Kelly possibly came out as it was goodnight Irene at that point had Parlon walked and everyone knew it. A KK man next to me sportingly acknowledged that it was better for the game not to show red.

In fairness to Parlon, the first dig was a total brianfart on his part and he instantly recognised it and was doubled over apologising. I think this stood to him when Kelly considered the carta dearg for the second slap. He was talking the pi55 in the 2nd half shoving lads after that though!

On a more general point, great to see the backs hitting clearances on the front foot. A bit more cuter in dealing with the movement of the and KK attackers and more competitive on the floor and in the 'scrums' we could have been looking at a closer finish than it was.

A few have been men enough to give Baker his due credit. Thought he got most things spot on on the day. Having been critical of Ger H in the county colours in the past I too will step up and salute a really fine effort from the KK man.

Great that we were served up a worthy but beatable opponent in WD. We can be under no illusion but that WD are favourites and we must bring the ferocity of the KK game with us. WD did show real evidence of stagnation vs Clare but do have some key players that wont fear us.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

blue biffo

The hurley thrower was Yellow Carded as was David K for a late hit in the same move and a free straight in front given after the forward shot wide.

So we got 2 Yellows & KK a handy point for a wide.

A little improvement in discipline needed along with the spirit, tactics and ability and WW might get a tougher exam