Offaly Vs Kilkenny Leinster Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Vs Kilkenny Leinster Hurling Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Kilkenny team is usually announced around 9pm on a Friday night. On the basis of recent lineouts, I’d expect the following from them –

Eoin Murphy,
Paul Murphy, JJ Delaney, Jackie Tyrell
Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan, Kieran Joyce
Michael Rice, Lester Ryan,
Cillian Buckley, Richie Power, Eoin Larkin
Colin Fennelly, Richie Hogan, Aidan Fogarty.

Now to parse the Offaly team as chosen –

1 James Dempsey
We can presume he will be sound

2 Chris McDonald
3 David Kenny
4 Kevin Brady
McDonald might do OK on Fogarty, Richie Hogan will be a mahoosive problem though. I wonder is Baker gambling that Walter Walsh will be at 13 – I doubt he will (it would be great if he was), and Fennelly is a whole different kettle of fish. This whole line is a worry, when stopping Kilkenny scoring goals is such a key part of the equation.

5 Rory Hanniffy
6 Ger Healion
7 Cathal Parlon
I wonder will they line put like this. Perhaps Dermot Mooney will go to 7 with Parlon going into attack. I’d prefer to see Hanniffy at midfield, marking Michael Rice. Healion won’t be going to full-back (not to pick up Richie Hogan anyway), won’t be on the wing and there is already a surplus of attackers, so I am inclined to believe this, for beter or worse. None of them will be found wanting under the puckout. After that . . ?

8 Conor Mahon
9 Dermot Mooney
Looking at the half-forward line, I’d expect Mahon to go to 11 with Carroll going to midfield. A midfield of Carroll and Mooney (or Parlon, or anyone else) is a bit too attack-minded for my liking, especially in the company of Michael Rice and Lester Ryan.

10 Colin Egan
11 Brian Carroll
12 Ciaran Slevin
When Mahon is included and Carroll withdrawn to midfield, his line looks interesting. Colin Egan will win his share of puckouts off the red-helmeted one. Mahon will wire into Brian Hogan (who, along with Rice is Kilkenny’s key man). Slevin is unproven at this level, but I wouldn’t fear for him or anything and everyone has to start somewhere.

13 Shane Dooley
14 Joe Bergin
15 Sean Cleary
I do hope Dooley and Bergin line out here. Close to goal, behind their men. Let the ball in quick, long and high. They’re on two good men but there are no easy targets for the picking here. I also hope Dooley is on frees. Parnell Park, 2010? Croke Park 2010? Switching freetaker would be a no-brainer. Baptism of fire for Cleary whose job will be to sweep for breaks around Bergin and Dooley, and to stop Murphy clearing.

To do well, Offaly need to pick off their scores at every available opportunity, whether goals or points. That’s where a confident freetaker is required.

Stopping Kilkenny scoring goals is, naturally, crucial. Remember the half-time score in 2005 was something like 4-12 to 0-11. Or 15 scores to 11, if you like, but four goals to none was the vital statistic. The difference two years made – half-time score them was something like 0-14 to 1-10 and we were standing up to acclaim Offaly’s efforts at half-time. Second-half fadeouts were the norm them – John McIntyre’s half-time talks a likely factor.

To hang in there, Offaly need to take the game in five-minute segments. Hang in there, go score-for-score and keep out the goals. Chances are Kilkenny will go for the jugular early on and that Colin Fennelly and Richie Hogan will put the head down and go for goals. Which is why Offaly’s full-back line does not confidence inspire.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

If its a dummy team ... with KK ... methinks a futile exercise that will only pique their focus.

If they line out as selected (which as POTH says is in Bliztzkrieg … almost Kamikaze… formation), at least he can point to some departure from the tactics which haven’t worked since what … 1998?

In defence of Ollie Baker, what option does he have but to bring something fresh to the mix? If the players are on board with it then maybe it’s worth a rattle.

Who can we say of the starting 15 are out-and-out naturals in their positions as selected? McDonald, possibly Kenny, Egan, Slevin..?
It’s a real pity Del Morkam is out. He’s been such a consistent performer against the quality teams.

The decision to keep Rigney out has probably come back to bite Baker but he had no option if he wanted to preserve the integrity of the system he himself had put in place. Looking at the O’Hara/Walsh Barney in Sligo, one thinks that managers generally, especially in counties challenged with numbers are going to have to be less black and white around these issues from now on.

I anticipate one of the KK wing backs will be sweeping in behind their fall back line under the high delivery’s knowing Dooley and Bergin will be playing the breaks behind.

I really hope the lads keep the heads up on Sunday. The full back line should almost take the field with a mentality that KK will have two green flags raised by half time. That way if they have none or one going into the OCP dressing rooms they can feel like they are well in the contest.

Any players reading this – best of luck lads – were proud of ye - do yourselves and the county proud!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Nothing to lose here.

Let's go get 'em boys!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

1 James Dempsey

2 Chris McDonald 3 David Kenny 4 Kevin Brady

5 Rory Hanniffy 6 Ger Healion 7 Cathal Parlon

8 Conor Mahon 9 Dermot Mooney

10 Colin Egan 11 Brian Carroll 12 Ciaran Slevin

13 Shane Dooley 14 Joe Bergin 15 Sean Cleary

WTF???
Is Bakers on a one man mission to Destory us? They are good hurlers on that team but that some rubbish line up.
To name that team is an insult to the All Ireland Champions and its an insult to Offaly hurling because everyone know they not going to line out that way.
This is another sign of Bakers tatical brain having a fart.
Can anyone remember Parlon Playing wing back for club or county ever.
young Cleary hasn't had a full Leage game yet and he up aginist Tyrell,

I just reading a few of the early comment about Carroll going to midfield but if you think about this for a second you relise that were set up for the same Baker game plan as always. Carroll won't hurler in midfield he hurler in front of the full back line. Like we played aginist Limerick. This plan has never worked for us but try and try and try. and the worse thing about this plan it will leave one of the Kilkenny midfield on his own. But its ok Rice or Ryan won't destory teams by themselves :cry:

Baker starting his second Championship and the team has taking massive step back. i Question if he know anything about hurling at this stage.

We going to lose by 20 to 30 points sunday. And Baker Comment after the match will be along the line that "aw sure no-one could keep up with Killkenny when they play like that" And "its a privilage for these Offaly lads to be on the same field as Killkenny".

Baker Management has being a disaster for the county and worse still it has come at a time were Club hurling in the county should be on a high after Coolderry and Kilcormac/Killoughey Club runs. The county board need to have a long hard look at it self after appointing this man. The county board look like there more intrested in paying off O'connor park than help Offaly teams in both codes.

If you lose by more than 20 points Baker should leave and Owens or Hogan should be ask to step in on a short term.
Baker will never management another county team for the rest of his life, no other county would mad enough to hire him.
Kevin wrote:Nothing to lose here.

Let's go get 'em boys!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!
I agree with you i hope every hurling supporter in the county get out on sunday to support the lads who are playing.
But there a lot to lose here. THIS IS OFFALY we have always had pride in oursleves. Baker has done more to erosion away the values of Offaly that any manager i have seen. the last one to this much damage was John McIntyre.

Last year Galway scored 5-23. i can see Killkenny topping that. can anyone here see Offaly scoring 3-15 this year?
“Common sense is not so common.”

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Godd man Toxicity, well thats fairly likked the buzz that was building!
I aint a hurling expert but would be inclined to agree with a lot of what you say.
Kevin Brady in the corner, not on.... Carroll in midfield, anonymous against Wexford last year, Parlon might do a job there, Young Cleary, tough on him, but might work and he just needs to go out and hurl freely.
Think he has to try Healion at CB as dominated all and sundry, but will be difficult. Hanniffy will be expected to sweep up.
Mahon needs to go on the rampage around the middle and ensure plenty of broken ball.

Best of luck to all the lads, and the management. Go out and give it a right lash!!

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

TOx - give us your best 15 and tactics that you feel could put us within sight of KK at the finish

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Let's wait and see folks.
I'm guessing there will be a hell of a lot of switches.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Toxicity234 wrote:1 James Dempsey

2 Chris McDonald 3 David Kenny 4 Kevin Brady

5 Rory Hanniffy 6 Ger Healion 7 Cathal Parlon

8 Conor Mahon 9 Dermot Mooney

10 Colin Egan 11 Brian Carroll 12 Ciaran Slevin

13 Shane Dooley 14 Joe Bergin 15 Sean Cleary

WTF???
Is Bakers on a one man mission to Destory us? They are good hurlers on that team but that some rubbish line up.
To name that team is an insult to the All Ireland Champions and its an insult to Offaly hurling because everyone know they not going to line out that way.
This is another sign of Bakers tatical brain having a fart.
Can anyone remember Parlon Playing wing back for club or county ever.
young Cleary hasn't had a full Leage game yet and he up aginist Tyrell,

I just reading a few of the early comment about Carroll going to midfield but if you think about this for a second you relise that were set up for the same Baker game plan as always. Carroll won't hurler in midfield he hurler in front of the full back line. Like we played aginist Limerick. This plan has never worked for us but try and try and try. and the worse thing about this plan it will leave one of the Kilkenny midfield on his own. But its ok Rice or Ryan won't destory teams by themselves :cry:

Baker starting his second Championship and the team has taking massive step back. i Question if he know anything about hurling at this stage.

We going to lose by 20 to 30 points sunday. And Baker Comment after the match will be along the line that "aw sure no-one could keep up with Killkenny when they play like that" And "its a privilage for these Offaly lads to be on the same field as Killkenny".

Baker Management has being a disaster for the county and worse still it has come at a time were Club hurling in the county should be on a high after Coolderry and Kilcormac/Killoughey Club runs. The county board need to have a long hard look at it self after appointing this man. The county board look like there more intrested in paying off O'connor park than help Offaly teams in both codes.

If you lose by more than 20 points Baker should leave and Owens or Hogan should be ask to step in on a short term.
Baker will never management another county team for the rest of his life, no other county would mad enough to hire him.
Kevin wrote:Nothing to lose here.

Let's go get 'em boys!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!
I agree with you i hope every hurling supporter in the county get out on sunday to support the lads who are playing.
But there a lot to lose here. THIS IS OFFALY we have always had pride in oursleves. Baker has done more to erosion away the values of Offaly that any manager i have seen. the last one to this much damage was John McIntyre.

Last year Galway scored 5-23. i can see Killkenny topping that. can anyone here see Offaly scoring 3-15 this year?

I dont know what it is about our people but we are so negative the whole time. No matter what anyone tries to do it is knocked. I am sure that Baker is doing his best given the resources available to him. The team will most likely not line out exactly as picked but It wont be far off id say..... Parlon has played recent challenges at half back and has done well by all accounts. Morkam and Cleary being unavailable has really dented the options but thats where it is. You cant knock management even before a ball is thrown in. We saw what happened westmeath football team v dublin when they went all negative trying to stop Dublin rather than play to their plan. Its the same with us and bear in mind kk have won by 10 or more against us every time since 02 so this is maybe trying something different... What do you want?? If plan A doesnt work for ten years, keep trying plan A.......

Id be more on the county boards case for putting proper structures in place in underage to create an impression of professionalism so that the best players want to play for their county from a young age. As it is under the present stewardship, county underage teams dont have the best players in and are getting hammered consistently as a result. You think getting hammered by laoise in minor this year is bad. Wait till you see what is coming down the tracks.....

If the right structures were there, the best players in the county would want to be involved, hence a greater chance of success, hence more young lads would aspire to make the county development teams leading to a better club championship and higher standards overall. A rising tide lifts all boats. We would not then be in a situation where loads of lads declined the opportunity to hurl for the county this year, eg Barry Harding, Dylan Hayden, Stephen Egan and numerous others....
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Sorry, should be "killed" rather than "lliked" or whatever earlier.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Look lads cut the bullshit at least till Monday morning get out and support the team , the team is picked we all have our views , the sun is out , ham sambos at the ready , mug of hot tae with the head burnt off me on the hill side what more could we ask for , goodluck to all involved.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Did not see a list of subs in the online publications.

Does anyone have that info?

Thx.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

hadn't much chance to beat them, but with that 15 forget about it, if they do line out as picked which
i take they won't we will be in Kellys on the hill at half time.

Baker two years and this is the line up for sunday its a joke, Parlon wing back is he taking the piss
Cleary first game and throw him into the lions pit again the cats.

doesn't matter whos in the fullback line kilkenny will go to town on that back 3, Kevin Brady corner
Dave Kenny fine hurl don't get me wrong but as last year again Galway and again wexford in wexford park a few years ago he is not a fullback.

Ger Healion gives it 100 per cent but this is not club hurling Richie Power or Mick Rice or who ever is centre forward will bring him on a tour of O'Connor park sunday and with the weather so good offaly
are going to be open up big time i fear.

yes we know Brian Carroll will be back in the fullback line hitting balls into where he should be we have seen this the last two years under Ollie, Wexford last year was a joke won't work sunday.

Midfield two of Mahon and Mooney does Baker even watch club or offaly hurling, kilkenny by what ever they are in the mood to beat us by, hope the god i am pure wrong but with that line up
we would get it hard to beat laois never mind the all ireland winners :oops:

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

KK team named. POTH was very close. TJ Reid in half forward line only difference.

Eoin Murphy
Paul Murphy
JJ Delaney
Jackie Tyrrell
Tommy Walsh
Brian Hogan
Kieran Joyce
Michael Rice
Lester Ryan
TJ Reid
Richie Power
Eoin Larkin
Colin Fennelly
Richie Hogan
Aidan Fogarty

biffo1991
Junior C

Post by biffo1991 »

Right lads stop the bull shite and get behind the lads...

This is from the horses mouth

i) Brady is going playing at midfield and Mooney going to the corner

ii) Parlon WILL be playing where named.

iii) Mahon and Carrol will swap

Ye heard it here first lads, straight from the horses mouth my source is.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There was little sign of a forthcoming big event as I drove through Tullamore earlier this evening (and I don’t mean a sandwich competition). Only two pubs have Offaly flags displayed, and one of those has the look of a flag that is permanently erected. Even the pub that is the hub of the mighty ‘club faithful’ betrays no sign of support for Offaly. Nor does the fast food restaurant (which sponsors the town’s GAA club), where rugby flags dominate.
bracknaghboy wrote:Can anyone confirm if this game is still going ahead or not. I know there is a sandwich competition taking place in the vicinity of O'Connor Park on Sunday but I've heard nothing about this proposed hurling match since the draw was originally made last October. Its starting to resemble a Division 4 club football league game fixed for a Sunday morning and you've no idea a hour before hand if it'll go ahead or not.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.