Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2013

Post by puzzled »

Its back to business for club hurlers this weekend
Birr v K/K friday 7.30 banagher,K/K 3-5 points
Tullamore v Drumcullen saturday 5.00 Birr Tullamore 5-7 points
Seir Kieran v Brosna Gaels saturday 6.30 Birr Seir Kieran 8-11 points
Coolderry v Belmont sunday 2.00 Birr Coolderry 3-5 points
St.Rynaghs v Shinrone sunday 3.30 Birr Shinrone 4-6 points
Kinnity v Lusmagh sunday 7.00 Rath Kinnity 5-7 points

puzzled
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2013

Post by puzzled »

Odds for the weekend games
K/K 4/5 draw 8/1 Birr 11/10
Tullamore 2/9 draw 11/1 Drumcyllen 10/3
Seir Kieran 4/9 draw 10/1 Brosna Gaels 7/4
Coolderry 1/10 draw 14/1 Belmont 5/1
St. Rynaghs 4/5 draw 8/1 Shinrone 11/10
Kinnity 2/7 draw 10/1 Lusmagh 11/4

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

According to paddypower.com the odds for the St. Rynaghs v Shinrone game are in fact the other way around with Shinrone favourites at 4/5 and Rynaghs at 11/10. This leaves the unusual situation of having Rynaghs at 9/2 for the Championship outright and Shinrone at 8/1. Anybody care to explain this one to me?
Anyway, the other games-wouldn't be at all surprised to see Birr beat Kilcormac as it's always difficult after a long All-Ireland campaign to peak for the first round of the championship. Fancy Tullamore to take Drumcullen by 6-8 points depending on how much of the ball Dooley sees and how many frees Tullamore give away as Conor Gath won't miss a whole pile. Clareen should account for Brosna Gaels based purely on talent but they will be made work hard for it. I think Belmont will put it up to Coolderry a lot more than the betting suggests. I can't see where Coolderry's scores are going to come from without Murray and Eoin Ryan. Once Carroll is kep quiet the rest of them aren't capable of racking up big scores. However, the won't give away much at the other end so I expect them to win a low-scoring game. I think Shinrone will have the upper hand on Rynaghs, especially after their U-21 success over them. Rynaghs, by all accounts are missing a good few from last year and Shinrone's win in the U-21 will give them a nice boost coming into championship. I think Kinnity will just about scrape over Lusmagh in what is a hugely important game for both sides, even at this early stage of the year.
Anybody care to agree/disagree?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I was given 4/5 Rynaghs by PP as their opening line, I suspect that most likely there is a glitch, or else a mountain of money has come on for Shinrone straight away due to the absentees from the Rynaghs team.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Birr v K/K Should be tight enough , il go for Birr to shade it by 2 or 3 points. Tullamore v Drumcullen : Il go for Tullmore by 4 points. Seir Kieran v Brosna Gaels: Seir Kieran to win by 5 +. Coolderry v Belmont : Coolderry by 7 or 8 points. Rynaghs v Shinrone : il go for a draw here. Kinnity v Lusmagh : again il go for a draw.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Just a few early season hurling predictions:
Senior Champions Kilcormac/Killoughey
Relegated Lusmagh
Intermediate champions St.Rynaghs
Relegated Clara
Junior Champions Ballinamere
Relegated Edenderry

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Birr v k/k Birr 3 points.

Tullamore v Drumcullen tullamore 5 points.

Seir Kierans v Brosna Gaels seir kierans 2 points.

Coolderry v Belmont Coolderry 6 points.

Kinnitty v Lusmagh kinnitty 2 points.

St.Rynaghs v Shirone Rynaghs 5 points.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

SHC round 1 form guide

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The last five championship meetings between this weekend's opponents (where possible)

Birr v Kilcormac-Killoughey

2006 – Birr 0-18 K-K 1-10 (semi-final)
2007 – Birr 0-15 K-K 0-10 (Final)
2008 – Birr 0-17 K-K 0-13 (semi-final)
2010 – Birr 3-24 K-K 2-16
2012 – K-K 1-11 Birr 0-13 (semi-final)

Tullamore v Drumcullen

2000 – Tullamore 2-17 Drumcullen 2-10
2006 – Drumcullen 1-18 Tullamore 1-10
2007 – Tullamore 2-17 Drumcullen 5-6
2008 – Tullamore 2-19 Drumcullen 0-9
2012 – Tullamore 2-15 Drumcullen 1-13

Clareen v Brosna Gaels

2010 – Brosna Gaels 3-9 Clareen 1-13
2012 - Clareen 3-15 Brosna Gaels 1-13

Coolderry v Belmont

1995 – Coolderry 0-12 Belmont 1-8
2005 – Coolderry 2-16 Belmont 0-9 (quarter-final)
2009 – Coolderry 1-23 Belmont 0-9

St Rynagh’s v Shinrone

2006 - St Rynagh’s 2-21 Shinrone 3-13 (playoff)
2009 - St Rynagh’s 0-16 Shinrone 1-11
2011 - St Rynagh’s 1-15 Shinrone 0-13 (quarter-final)
2012 - Shinrone 2-11 St Rynagh’s 0-10
2012 - St Rynagh’s 3-12 Shinrone 0-15 (semi-final)

Kinnitty v Lusmagh

1985 – Kinnitty 3-17 Lusmagh 2-2
1991 – Lusmagh 2-15 Kinnitty 0-8
1999 – Lusmagh 0-17 Kinnitty 1-9
2004 – Kinnitty 3-13 Lusmagh 2-9
2007 – Kinnitty 4-12 Lusmagh 0-11 (quarter-final)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Birr v KK very close call il say KK by two points.

Tullamore v Drumcullen. Tullamore by seven points

Seir Kieran v Brosna Gales. Seir Kieran by four points

Coolderry v Belmont. Coolderry by nine points

Shinrone v Rynaghs . Shinrone by six points.

Kinnitty v Lusmagh . Kinnitty by ten points

Birr v KK is by far the closest call could go either way.
Imo all the rest are pretty clear cut.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when Tellamore last played a Senoir hurling championship match in Birr?

They certainly haven't played there since Birr was closed owing to the work carried out on the pitch (2007). I've had a look at the early pages of this site and I can't find evidence of them playing there in either 2005 or 2006. So it's 2003 at the latest. And is it possible they haven't played there since the 2001 semi-final?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Played a few times at least since the 2001 semi final. Drew with clareen there about 10 years ago, beat drumcullen one time and definitely played ballyskenagh too. Think that was the last time and that's maybe 6-7 years ago!

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Birr v K/K - Birr by 4 points
Tullamore v Drumcullen - Drumcullen by 1 point
Seir Kieran v Brosna Gaels - Seir Kieran by 5 points
Coolderry v Belmont - Coolderry by 8 points
St.Rynaghs v Shinrone - St. Rynaghs by 2 points or Draw
Kinnitty v Lusmagh - Kinnitty by 5 points or Draw

Is Currams back yet and if so how long is he back in training?

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Birr v Kilcormac/Killoughey - Birr being tipped here by a lot, but you dont go from within John Sextons whistles of an All-Ireland, to being seen as underdogs to a Birr team not operating at the same level as of years back all of a sudden. Birr, like many clubs seem in a period of transition, and they will see KK as a team they can take and hearld the beginning of a new generation. However, judging by their leinster league semi- final defeat to Coolderry, their team looks neither settled or blessed with firepower up front against a very strong KK rearguard. Take Dylan Haydens scoring out from centre-field and the flaws are there to see. Thing is, hayden is a fine hurler capable of turning the tide in games like this, different story running against Damien Kilmartin who will surely be detailed in putting the shackles on him. Their are arguments on saying KK will be at their most vunerable here, first game after a tiresome All Ireland campaign, injuries sustained, getting cleared up. But I would envisage a hungry team looking to stamp authority at an early stage this season. They have adequate reserves in Trevor Fletcher, Chris Guinan, Dylan Murray of called upon and I feel they will be galvanised and wont want to be pushed over here. KK by 4-7 points.

Tullamore v Drumcullen.
The past few encounters have gone the way of the townmen, their latest a dead-rubber game in terms of championship progression, but one which saved tullamore the relegation final game in which Drumcullen sent Shamrocks down. Lazy journalism will depict this as a shootout from placed balls between Conor Gath and Shane Dooley. If it comes to that, one would fancy Tullamore. However, Tullamore have other forwards capable of lighting up the day, Shane Dooley was held from play in their last encounter, Brian Hogan stepped up with four from play, along with Shane Kelly starring at centre-back. Both are unbeaten in Division 1 league, and both look to be building younger teams and it will be intersting to see where both are at. Danny Maher, Dermot Gath and Harry Ryan are tidy efficient backs and they will be looked at to shackle Tullamore's dangermen, much emphasis will be on where Dooley places himself, at this level a player of his ability can turn the tide in an instant. Where Drumcullen will have to make progress is in midfield and half forward line. They will look to Ray and Conor Gath, Alan Maher, and keep an eye for young Paraic Guinan to get scores and win frees. Discipline is key here, ill upset the applecart and say Drumcullen by 3-6.

Coolderry v Belmont
The tie I am most looking forward too. Do not envisage this being a stroll for coolderry. Coolderry have onr of the stronger back six in the SHC, but in my view the belmont forward unit can be very potent, slick, skillfull, and more importantly, paceful. Add David Cox, who has been on of the most outstanding club hurlers the past two or three seasons, and they will cause Coolderry headaches. Add in the loss of Eoin Ryan and Damien Murray, and there has the makings of a great game. Coolderry of course have the craft and experience and will really look to push hard to bring Sean Robbins back to this group one more time as they know this generations peak is not going to last forever. How belmonts backs perform will have a huge bearing on the game, I Brian Carroll roams expext hik to pick up 1-4 or 5 from play alone. Someone will have to be in his shorts. If belmont are in this with 50 mins passed, I expect the youth and pace of the egans, cox et al, to see them over the line. But if Coolderry grab a lead at halftime, I can see only one winner. Expext a rip roaring match which should see goals, Ill go for a draw here.

Kinnity v Lusmagh
Like the tullamore v drumcullen game. Many will see this as a big relegation 6 pointer, however the winner of both would also fancy themselves for a quarter final spot. Could be a long year for the losers. Lusmagh come fresh from thier IHC win, but without many of the men who made it happen. Eoin Kellys loss to this team is seismic. They will look to Sean Gardner, Alan Kelly, Paddy Cahill to make names for themselves. Austin Lynch was always handy, and needs a big game against a Kinnity team who has been under the radar since their county final appearence. Kinnity have youngsters coming and dont be surprised to see a few new youthful faces, add this to the experience of the Coughlan Brothers, Dempsey, Stephen Molly and James Rigney and I can see them pulling away in the 3rd quarter to win by 8-12. We will see a true reflection of where kinnitys stall is set after this one.

Seir Kieran v Brosna Gaels
Something of a rivalry devloping here as there has been nothing separating these two the past few seasons. Brosna Gaels claiming their most notable first senior scalp over the Clareen men. Much here depends on Joe Bergins availability after an unfortunate injury. He plays, Clareen win. Brosna Gaels, down a few regualrs at present if the grapevine is to be believed, can trouble ANY team in the SHC om thier day, their workraye, physicality and their hurling ability make them a nightmare team to play any day (ask KK last year). However if the likes of Lynam, and Devery are missing from their forward unit they could struggle. Clareen have threatened the last few years but havent made the breakthrough. The age profile is their, so is the talent. I cant see them losing here. They have enough score getters in Bergin, Caroll and Hynes. James Scully works his socks off. Eanna Murphy, Brian Mulrooney, Dermot Mooney and Sean Coughlan all have inter county experince and form a decent backline, add in James Mulrooney who has been utilised in a number of roles the last few years, I can see a strong Seir Kieran showing. Clareen by plus 6.

Shinrone v St Rynaghs
Along with KK, here are the two conyevor belts of underage talent in recent years. Shinrones culminating in that fantastic u21 final win against the saints. I can see Shinrone having a similar result here. For a team who reached last years county final many might think that unfair, but missing the likes lf Diarmuid Horan, Fergus Shortt, Conor Hernon and Ciaran Flanerry, would hurt any team, especially a youthful one which Rynaghs have been building. Shinrone however have strengthened from youth. Conor Doughan, the two Clearys, Donall Morkan and young Jordan Fogarty who may or may not be thrown into adult hurling have serious abilty. Their slick they work hard and there is a new steel about them. Del and mark morkan are as good as what is in the county, and they seem hungry. Daithi is saying all the right things and their time could soon be coming. Shinrone to win by 5-0 points, something like 3-13 to 2-11

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Excellent preview, alltheway. Original thoughts, and certainly better than what I expect to read in the local paper when I get home at the weekend.

I'm interested you see Belmont competing with Coolderry, and you back that opinion up with your reasons why.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thanks for that, llkj. I've checked the 'database' and I can't see where Tullamore and Clareen ever drew. I see where Tullamore beat Clareen by a point (1-15 to 3-8) in 2003's first round while a year later Clareen beat Tullamore by a goal, 0-16 to 1-10. Am I right in thinking Shane Dooley lined out in opposition to Joe in either or both of these? I note Tullamore did draw with Shinrone in the first round in 2004.

Prior to 2007, Drumcullen beat Tullamore in 2006, while the last time Tullamore beat Drumcullen before that was back in 2000.

Tullamore last played Ballyskenagh in 2007. That was in Kinnitty. From memory, the match was called off owing to torrential rain in the hour before the match was due to start. The year before that, Tullamore met Ballyskenagh three times the one year (and all in the space of 6 weeks!), first in the group, next in a playoff for a quarter-final place and finally in a relegation playoff! Perhaps one of those was played in Birr? If so, 2006 would be the last time Tullamore hurled a Senior championship match in Birr.
llkj wrote:Played a few times at least since the 2001 semi final. Drew with clareen there about 10 years ago, beat drumcullen one time and definitely played ballyskenagh too. Think that was the last time and that's maybe 6-7 years ago!