Underage scores

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Underage scores

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

U-14 Hurling League: Birr 11-12 Kinnitty 0-2, Ballinamere/Durrow 2-15 Shamrocks 2-1, Kilcormac/Killoughey 10-8 Coolderry 1-1, Na Fianna 7-5 Clara 0-0.

Some set of scores there! Fair bad beatings being taken by young players, not doing any good for the game I would think.

townman
All Star

Re: Underage scores

Post by townman »

it is only under 14 level like,

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:U-14 Hurling League: Birr 11-12 Kinnitty 0-2, Ballinamere/Durrow 2-15 Shamrocks 2-1, Kilcormac/Killoughey 10-8 Coolderry 1-1, Na Fianna 7-5 Clara 0-0.

Some set of scores there! Fair bad beatings being taken by young players, not doing any good for the game I would think.
I think that tends to be par for the course at that level. I know in an ideal world there would be plenty of close, competitive games but that's not always how it works out. I recall when I was hurling at that under-12 and under-14, we reached two semi-finals, in both cases racking up some big wins along the way - but when we met Kilcormac/Killoughey, Rynaghs or Birr, we got blown away. That's simply the way it goes really.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

That was always the way and thats the way it has to be??? Is that the rationale. I picked this as an example, look , to me what it highlights is that that Birr should be putting out a second team, Rynaghs the same, and these guys playing the Ballinameres or Shamrocks. Real concern about the replies, but I'd say not to many here involved in the promotion of hurling, (or football).
Gogames were put in place to try to encourage more players, it will take a few years for this to kick in. But to me as these teams would have played against each other at u8, 10 & 12 they should be paired off in groups that give some level of competitiveness. If we can't agree that beatings of 11-12 to 0-00 (give or take) are pointless (for both teams) then we are on the road to oblivion!!
No commentary on Gallens All Ireland win.

Have asked it before, have any of ye any involvement in underage?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

That was always the way and thats the way it has to be??? Is that the rationale. I picked this as an example, look , to me what it highlights is that that Birr should be putting out a second team, Rynaghs the same, and these guys playing the Ballinameres or Shamrocks. Real concern about the replies, but I'd say not to many here involved in the promotion of hurling, (or football).
Gogames were put in place to try to encourage more players, it will take a few years for this to kick in. But to me as these teams would have played against each other at u8, 10 & 12 they should be paired off in groups that give some level of competitiveness. If we can't agree that beatings of 11-12 to 0-00 (give or take) are pointless (for both teams) then we are on the road to oblivion!!
No commentary on Gallens All Ireland win.

Have asked it before, have any of ye any involvement in underage?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

A further observation on this,
7 minor hurling league games fixed for during the week, 4 walkovers? What the heck? Explain this chaps?
:(
Ah sure, tis only minor? Whats the problem?

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Seems to be a hurling problem the vast majority of football games are being played

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

cut up them sticks for kindling!! :wink:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

star player
Junior C
Club: kinnitty

Post by star player »

its always d same at under 14 level the bigger areas always have the stronger teams but once it gets to 16s and minor it evens out I have seen this with my own club who beat birr and banaghar last year in minor. in the previous before they would beat us by home and same with our 16s who beat birr and banghar also.
I woundnt mind the scores of a ew under 14 matchs it usually balances out at minor level

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

5 more walkovers ( u14 hurling , 4 of them). Drumcullen og beat Ballyskeanach by 52 points?

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Physicality matters an awful lot more at U12 / U14 level. I remember seeing a team from my own club get hockeyed at that age but the went on to win minor. Children progress physically at different ages and this tends to even out by minor grade at which stage real skill and technique are more important. There are some clubs fielding 15 14 year olds against 15 12 year olds which makes a huge difference. For example my own club coolderry I don't think there is one hurler at U14 level that is actually 14!!

Regarding the walkovers have leagues at underage level is only really a new venture and to be honest I think there isn't a lot of appetite for these. They provide a lot more games yes but they also put a lot more strain on the parents / trainers to organise transport etc, often an hour plus away. There is already a lot of additional choice for kids now with soccer and rugby so it is hard to get them every week

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

"There is already a lot of additional choice for kids now with soccer and rugby so it is hard to get them every week"

And so the apathy continues, our u14's had 3 league games,(dual players would have 6, maybe semis or final) then into championship in a couple of weeks time, hardly an overdose, but Backofthenets point about league games being an hour away is relevant, where possible league fixtures should b within 30 mins drive.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Interesting to see that the Clara minors, who had not a single player on the county minor team got to the league final...

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

boomcha wrote:Interesting to see that the Clara minors, who had not a single player on the county minor team got to the league final...
Good point boomcha but its the div2 minor league final that Clara are in,so its hardly that huge of an acheivement considering they would not have played Birr KK St.Rynaghs or Shinrone all of which form the vast majority of the county minor team!

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Sorry, forgot to specify that i was referring to the minor football league.