Offaly minor Hurlers 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Offaly minor Hurlers 2013

Post by townman »

well just get a thread started on this won't be long till April 20 when offaly will be away to Carlow.
whats the minors like or who if any are the ones to watch this year for offaly minors.

joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly minor Hurlers 2013

Post by joe bloggs »

I'm afraid they won't be at the races if the schools results are anything to go by. However I think there are a few potential senior panelists for next year or the year after in Nolan, Kiely and Doughan
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

is k/ks Kiely minor again is this his 4th year an offaly minor :shock:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As far as I know, he's just out of U16 and is Minor again next year. 2013 would be his third year as a county Minor. And as a K-K Minor too.

Up to yereselves but I'd thread warily as far as heaping pressure on the chap goes. I note he had some injury problems prior to Christmas and his contribution to Coláiste Naomh Cormac was limited to lining out in goals. I do hope he has gotten over that injury and I wish him well but I personally wouldn't go putting the lad under avoidable pressure.
townman wrote:is k/ks Kiely minor again is this his 4th year an offaly minor :shock:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

did he not play again i think it was carlow or wexford in 2010 and took the frees from the back line
i think he was 15 that day, could be wrong now, maybe it was 2011 so minor in 2014 again would be
his 4th year.

i like this lad has the right cut about him, hurl well in last years minor final again shirone, and was outstanding fullback in the minor final of 2011 again ST.Rynaghs even doe he did get the line at the end
of the game as i said theres a bit of cut about him you need to make it as a defender at intercounty level.

he was hurt for most of offalys minor games last year coming in as a sub again wexford, and Meath.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

yeah, Kiely has everything the only thing he really needs to remember is the discipline. Other than the fact he is so young and you don't want to burn him out, I can see him walking onto the All-Ireland finalists starting 15 when the time is right.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

boomcha wrote:yeah, Kiely has everything the only thing he really needs to remember is the discipline. Other than the fact he is so young and you don't want to burn him out, I can see him walking onto the All-Ireland finalists starting 15 when the time is right.
i have seen him a few time in the last few years and his discipline has being a problem but seeing him this year it is as if someone over him has had a word with him and have got through to him and it has improved a lot.The other thing about him is he seem to be that big since he was 14 other lads are catching him now, we all played with and against lads like that but never really made it after,another Killcormack man comes to mind John Rigney.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

yeah kiely is a minor again next year. he is the right fit for a centre back. he has the attributes to play in the spine of a team as he is tall and very physically strong

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

This game is down for next saturday in O'Connor Park, again Carlow any word on a team.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Offaly boss seeks alternative venue

Offaly minor hurling manager John Leahy has requested that Saturday's Leinster championship first round clash with Carlow be taken out of O'Connor Park.

The game is fixed for 7pm in Tullamore, but Leahy is hoping it will be moved to an alternative venue in the Faithful County as he fears the pitch will be cut up by the two All-Ireland U21FC semi-finals which are taking place in O'Connor Park earlier in the day.

The Kilcormac/Killoughey clubman - who has informed the Offaly county board that he would be more than happy to play the hurling game before the football double-header - believes it would be unfair to expect the Offaly and Carlow minors play on a pitch that would have hosted two games just a couple of hours earlier.

Leahy feels his team will be in a no-win situation this weekend.

"If we win it, we will get no credit and if we lose it we will be blasted so it's going to be a difficult game to play. I would definitely prefer to be going in and playing the likes of Wexford, Kilkenny or Dublin," he told the Tullamore Tribune.

"Carlow will be a tough challenge and they are working hard down there. The particular team that we are playing were 'Team of the Week' in the DJ Carey School of Hurling back at that time so they have a good attitude and they will be well prepared as well."

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

durra1 wrote: "If we win it, we will get no credit and if we lose it we will be blasted so it's going to be a difficult game to play. I would definitely prefer to be going in and playing the likes of Wexford, Kilkenny or Dublin," he told the Tullamore Tribune.
Some motivational material for Carlow!
Any sort of win over them would do.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Sad to see this sort of nonsense being trotted out. Stick to the cliches and the soundbytes John, you are a politician after all.

I know he doesn't mean disrespect to Carlow, and he goes on to clarify the merits of Carlow. But for me, yes, we should be beating Carlow, but if we win 1pt to 0 I would be happy enough. We have shipped some terrible defeats and we should know where we stand in the pecking order and take it from there.
John Leahy is long enough on the scene to know that there will be very little credit dished out for a first round win, but similarly, if we lose the harsh reality is will there be uproar? Probably not!

Don't worry about the high stool merchants who will say "Jayz boys, hear we only bet Carlow be a goal last night?", irrelevant.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Offaly Minor team has been announced. They will line out

1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr)
2 Rian Kelly (St Rynagh’s)
3 Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
4 Craig Taylor (Birr)
5 Daniel Doughan (Shinrone)
6 Conor Doughan (Shinrone)
7 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
8 Emmet Nolan (Birr) (captain)
9 Donal Mahon (Lusmagh)
10 Alan Spain (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
11 Dylan Murray (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
12 David Kelly (Belmont)
13 James Kilmartin (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
14 Colm Daly (St Rynagh’s)
15 Jordan Fogarty (Shinrone)

Subs;
16 Oisín Mahon (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
17 Jamie Coyne (Tullamore)
18 Ronan Hughes (St Rynagh’s)
19 Conor Molloy (Coolderry)
20 Adrian Cleary (Shinrone)
21 Harley Dalzell (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
22 Conor Freeman (Carrig & Riverstown)
23 Pádraig Guinan (Drumcullen)
24 Eoin Carroll (Shinrone)
25 Shane Ryan (Seir Kieran)
26 Danny Spain (Brosna Gaels)
27 Johnny O'Toole (Shamrocks)
28 David O'Toole (Shamrocks)
29 Scott Feenane (Birr)
30 Eoin Parlon (Coolderry)

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Wan North Offaly rep on the bench .... Plus ça change.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Arra, that's 'cos they're all going to Naaavan for the Minor football.
durra1 wrote:Wan North Offaly rep on the bench .... Plus ça change.