Ferbane/Belmont U-14 1986

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Treasurer
All Star

Ferbane/Belmont U-14 1986

Post by Treasurer »

AZ, or anyone else from that area, while doing a bit of a clear out I came across a video of an U-14 final(?) from 1986, not sure whether is Ferbane/Belmont or just Belmont - does the memory stretch back that far to recall whether you participated? (Rather poor quality - the tape, not the hurling)

Is it worth money? :lol:

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Is it a football or hurling match treasurer?!

Loughers
All Star

U-14 final

Post by Loughers »

Was that against Birr? Is that the one with the mass brawl that was on the front page of the Indo? A few friends of mine were involved. Said the F/B boys were windy as f*ck. :)

Treasurer
All Star

U-14 Ferbane/Belmont

Post by Treasurer »

Hurling Turk - were you involved?

No Loughers, against Ballyskenagh.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I don't think I was involved!

azoffaly
All Star

Hurling

Post by azoffaly »

Who won?

Under 14 in 1986, let me see. I was too young then, although I might have been on the panel.Actually I have an Under 14 medal against Lusmagh in 1986 I think. We were 'C' grade at the time. It was probably just Belmont. What colour were we/they?

Our final was in Banagher, and we won by a few points. I was very young, marking John Troy :)

Treasurer
All Star

Colour

Post by Treasurer »

Green jersies AZ. Several of our 91 minors were playing, so thought it was close enough to your era. The tape actually cuts off before the game is over, but I think we won.

The Biff
All Star

Video stopped

Post by The Biff »

I suppose the tape stopped because of the inevitable row that probably broke out then. Choose the most likely explanation:
* the cameraman was embarrassed by it,
* s/he didn't want to have taped evidence of the row that the GAC might look for later,
* s/he wanted to join in the row.

I vote for the last one. :twisted:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Ferbane U14's

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ferbane v Lusmagh was in 1985. Think Jimmy Hiney went on a scoring spree and it was no contest in the end, played on a hot Saturday evening in September. Another in the long line of 'tales of woe' for the small parish in underage finals.