Club Transfers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Club Transfers

Post by The Biff »

I just spotted this item on Hoganstand.com. What's the story behind it? Sounds a bit bizarre. Conspiracy Theorists need not apply. Even if we cant handle the truth, we still want it.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=186156

Durrow Seven staying put
22 February 2013

Seven young Durrow footballers have been refused permission to transfer to neighbours Tullamore.

The Offaly Management Committee last week turned down requests from Conor Martin, Geoff Scully, Jerome Scully, Diarmuid Egan, Oisin Cusack, Robert Hand and Alan Geoghegan to join the county town side. All seven had featured for Tullamore in their surprise 2012 minor championship success, but won't be eligible to play for them this year after Durrow/Ballinamere decided to enter a team of their own in this year's minor championship.

Ballinamere's Alan Hensey, who was a key member of last year's Tullamore minor team, was granted a transfer to the Blues on the basis that he's living in the town.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Re: Club Transfers

Post by durra1 »

A serious matter down around our parts Biff…

Durrow and Ballinamere players lining out for Tullamore is not a recent thing and at its most successful, least bitter emanation were those from both clubs who were part of the successful Tullamore teams in the SHC in the 50s.

Parish rule-Nazis are welcome to cut me in two here, but there’s been an elastic interpretation of the ‘Kilbride’ parish catchment area vis-a-vis Ballinamere/Ballykilmurray over the years. On the civil parish register, Durrow always stood apart and arguably has done so for over 1363 years going back to the days of St Columba himself in 650 AD but you’ve had quite a lot of cross-over throughout the latter years.

On the football side of things, Durrow stood alone and apart for many years. Ballinamere was always considered a hurling oasis due to the strong work being done by the likes of Fr. Rory O Brien back in the day.

There were successful transfers from Durrow to Tullamore down through the years, most notably John and Paul Rouse who played underage for Tullamore while still resident in Durrow parish.

On the other side, you’ve had many of the likes of Paul Kinnarney whose father is from Durrow but he never lived in Durrow.

As we all know, where you’re dealing with a player of average quality the likes of where a you go to bed at night, where you go to mass, where you go to school or where his granny went to school matter.

When a key player , or in this case a raft of players are at issue, suddenly 15 local Frank Murphy’s frantically run for rule books.

The whole basis for assessing a transfer application has in my view been completely thrown out the window by modern urban development.

I think the future for the GAA is like everything in life, giving personal choice back to the individual.

Personally, I’ve always favoured the idea of the , improperly termed, ‘parish team’, along the lines of the Tullamore hurling team of the 50’s where the best players of Durrow and Ballinamere in all codes, can if the wish, choose to play with Tullamore and play at the highest level and put themselves in the best position to play senior football / hurling and possibly get onto a county panel.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I would suspect that taking 8 players from a Durrough minor panel would not leave very many.

So in that I would support the decision by the Clubs' Delegates.

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

The Biff wrote:I just spotted this item on Hoganstand.com. What's the story behind it? Sounds a bit bizarre. Conspiracy Theorists need not apply. Even if we cant handle the truth, we still want it.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=186156

Durrow Seven staying put
22 February 2013

Seven young Durrow footballers have been refused permission to transfer to neighbours Tullamore.

The Offaly Management Committee last week turned down requests from Conor Martin, Geoff Scully, Jerome Scully, Diarmuid Egan, Oisin Cusack, Robert Hand and Alan Geoghegan to join the county town side. All seven had featured for Tullamore in their surprise 2012 minor championship success, but won't be eligible to play for them this year after Durrow/Ballinamere decided to enter a team of their own in this year's minor championship.

Ballinamere's Alan Hensey, who was a key member of last year's Tullamore minor team, was granted a transfer to the Blues on the basis that he's living in the town.
Aaron Hensey,

Always living in town, think his mother from ballinamere