Allianz FL Division 4 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
My Left Foot
Senior

Re: Allianz FL Division 4 2013

Post by My Left Foot »

just to join in the chorus - well done to all involved

After our two losses to Limerick & Clare I didn't see this coming so congrats on the hard work and never say die attitude ye displayed over the remaining games to make your own luck and get promotion.

A good opportunity now awaits to familiarise the team with Croke Park in a tight match and maybe get a trophy.

Its much better than a few challenge matches as the run up to championship begins.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Seeing as we are playing in Croke Park in a couple of weeks, I have a question regarding the pitch at headquarters. Every time there is a game there I always here people talking about 'the wide open spaces at Croke Park'. It was mentioned in this thread already and it was mentioned when K/K were playing in the club final, as two recent examples that spring to mind.

So, my question is: Is the pitch at Croke Park really that much bigger than say O Connor park or the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick (as these are the 2 teams that are playing their next)? The rules state that the following is the allocated dimension range:

Length - 130m minimum to 145m maximum
Width - 80m minimum to 90m maximum

Could it really be a case that Croke Park is one of the only fields around to meet the maximum dimensions, or is it a case that most inter-county grounds would be at the upper end of things and it is just a myth that Croke Park is any bigger than the rest?

LLKJ asks all the hard questions and demands answers!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I read the dimensions of of the major venues somewhere. As far as I can recall, most pitches where hurling gets played on - Semple, Pairc Ui Chaoimh are close to maximum size. Ones that would be shorter would be in predominately football counties. Looking at Castlebar and Ballybofey for example, there looks to be about 5 metres between 65s which suggests a length of 135 metres. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick might actually be one of the tighter ones.

Width wise it's harder to gauge. Ones like Birr and Parnell Park appear to be closer to minimum. When you see the sideline painted a couple of metres from a wall, it gives a clue that the venue is pushing to make minimum width.

Before redevelopment Croke Park was actually one of the tighter pitches to play on. I remember some Munster people saying that they felt that Offaly and Kilkenny had an advantage in always hurling on the tighter pitch. Munster counties were used to tearing around open pitches during the Munster championship and had to adjust. In fact in 1995 Ger Loughanne had the dimensions of Cusack Park in Ennis shortened to match the Croke Park in the All Ireland build up.

Remember in 1998, Clare didn't seem that bothered by the re-scheduled replay (game 3). The wisdom was that the fitter Clare would burn Offaly's aging legs on the bigger Thurles pitch. It was only afterwards that we heard the complaints.

Room with a view
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

Post by Room with a view »

It's a fair question " Is Croke Park more spacious than other GAA venues ? " Well in it's physical dimensions it is wider than many others though not O Connor Pk which is one of the widest and longest.Here are a few to ponder :Croke Pk 144.5 x 88 m , O Connor Pk 145 x90 , Hyde Pk 145 x 90 , all on the spacious side and then the following which are a little tighter : Parnell Pk 144 x 82 , Semple Stadium 145 x 80 , Healy Pk Omagh 142 x 86 . Turns out Thurles is one of the tightest width wise but of course all players testify to the good surface. So from an Offaly view point our teams are well used to lots of space in O Connor park as it's one of the biggest it seems. However Croke Park is still considered spacious as it is one of the widest and reasonably long too.I guess for football extra width is desirable from an attacking perspective but less width is desirable from a defensive perspective.The term " spacious " also refers to the feeling of space a player gets when they take to the field in Croke Park , one I was lucky enough to experience myself many moons ago.Because of the huge stands receding away from the field it feels very expansive ........ but is in fact expensive as many regular goers will attest ! :lol:

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Wow , can't believe that OCP is bigger than Croker. Where did you get you stats?

Also, does anyone have the stats on all Offaly's individual scorer totals. Sound.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

The main pitches are listed on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ga ... n_stadiums

While Birr is listed its one of the few that does not have its pitch size given

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

The wide open spaces of croke Park cliche always annoys me.I would say its an optical illusion caused by the cameras at Croke Park being far from the pitch and on TV one side looks along way away from the cameras also It just looks much wider and longer because the stands are so big and if you arent in the front 10 rows of the bottom tier you are a decent bit away from pitch side and so the far side looks further away than it would in O'Connor Park or other smaller grounds.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Jayz lads, its directions to Croker we need rather than dimensions!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Jayz lads, its directions to Croker we need rather than dimensions!!
Directions!
We should record a single and release it for the occasion.

"Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be. We're going to Dublin 3, que sera sera".

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

High School Musical wrote:
High School Musical wrote:Lar Corbett, Una Healy, Pat Shortt, Babs Keating, Frank Patterson, Michael Lowry, the Clancy Brothers, Nicky English, - vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Roz Purcell, can you hear me? Roz Purcell, your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!
In light of today's tragic news, it is now apparent that my choice of words yesterday evening would appear to be in extremely bad taste. I can honestly assure you all that I had absolutely nothing, whatsoever, to do with the death of Mrs. Thatcher and that it was merely a coincidence that I decided to use a quote made famous by its reference to her, only hours before her passing. As you're all aware, the 'Iron Lady' had nothing to do with Tipperary at all, or Offaly for that matter. Or even Rhode. Actually, she had very little interest in GAA full-stop. I can, however, promise you all that I won't refer to her again, going forward. At this stage, all I can do is offer my apologies to all those offended.
Ah HSM... I fear your witty comments and amusing antedotes are lost on the Philistines on this site.

Might I suggest a more artisan progressive site where debates are more feature heavy compared to content heavy sites such as this. Link below

www.hoganstand.com/offaly

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Jayz lads, its directions to Croker we need rather than dimensions!!
Directions!
We should record a single and release it for the occasion.

"Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be. We're going to Dublin 3, que sera sera".
We could do a Put me under pressure Italia 90 remix. Instead of soundbites from Big Jack such as "put em under pressure" and "we're going there to compete" we could use stuff from Babs Keating. One memorable one was "sheep in a Heap".

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Fargo Boyle wrote:
High School Musical wrote:
High School Musical wrote:Lar Corbett, Una Healy, Pat Shortt, Babs Keating, Frank Patterson, Michael Lowry, the Clancy Brothers, Nicky English, - vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Roz Purcell, can you hear me? Roz Purcell, your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!
In light of today's tragic news, it is now apparent that my choice of words yesterday evening would appear to be in extremely bad taste. I can honestly assure you all that I had absolutely nothing, whatsoever, to do with the death of Mrs. Thatcher and that it was merely a coincidence that I decided to use a quote made famous by its reference to her, only hours before her passing. As you're all aware, the 'Iron Lady' had nothing to do with Tipperary at all, or Offaly for that matter. Or even Rhode. Actually, she had very little interest in GAA full-stop. I can, however, promise you all that I won't refer to her again, going forward. At this stage, all I can do is offer my apologies to all those offended.
Ah HSM... I fear your witty comments and amusing antedotes are lost on the Philistines on this site.

Might I suggest a more artisan progressive site where debates are more feature heavy compared to content heavy sites such as this. Link below

http://www.hoganstand.com/offaly
Hmmm, hoganstand eh.......never heard of it. I'll check it out.

What, prey tell, is an amusing antedote? I've never taken one.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

I am just wondering about this Club FAithful set up? Paid me €20 and get a text telling me my support is vital to go to a match that I was going to anyway, 2) I get invited in for a cup of tea into the Club Faithful zone, (which is populated by all and sundry), and have to pay for the tea. (Don't mind really, but does this money go to County Board). Incidentally the player profile cards are a good initiative.
I got a text telling me that they are running a bus to the game. Right fair enough! Bus €15 by the way which is not bad. But there is no promotion of this game at all? No details out there on tickets, flyers going into schools, emails to clubs etc. And yes the clubs should be doing this, yes, but they are not.
Logged on to Offaly Gaa.ie and no details up about ticket arrangements, or when they are available.
We have a massive opportunity to promote Offaly GAA, (and the tickets are cheap enough, group packages through clubs 20e for an adult and 3e for kids), but ah sure doesn't everyone know where to get tickets. No details in the local papers last week about tickets being on sale.

Padraig Boland and Club Faithful were supposed to bring a more progressive approach but it appears more of the same.
Is there any interest out there? I know lads will say ah sure we are back there in a few weeks against Kildare in championship, but wont be 2000 at that from Offaly as when that comes around atitude will be "ah sure what chance have they? No point in going".

Aside from Club Faithful, and CB are any clubs making a day out and bringing a crowd up to it?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I am just wondering about this Club FAithful set up? Paid me €20 and get a text telling me my support is vital to go to a match that I was going to anyway, 2) I get invited in for a cup of tea into the Club Faithful zone, (which is populated by all and sundry), and have to pay for the tea. (Don't mind really, but does this money go to County Board).
You were stitched up like a kipper if you paid for your tea!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Well, got free tea there one day alright at the sponsors launch but in general you have to pay??? Although you could conceivably pick up the scalding hot tay and leg it as the frozen hoards pile into your spot at the counter!!! (Is that what you mean BNM??).

However I think you may have missed my main point?