Allianz FL Division 4 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
boomcha

Allianz FL Division 4 2013

Post by boomcha »

League Preview on the official GAA website for Offaly.

http://gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily ... 4-offaly-/

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Allianz FL Division 4 2013

Post by kingscounty »

Terrible long break after the Limerick game on the 10th of Feb to the next game against Clare on the 3rd of March! Hopefully we can take care of business in London this weekend.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXaiNBFVhk

McDonnell features in this video for about 30 seconds, just past the halfway mark.
Last edited by boomcha on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

while there is massive positivity and its great, i think we shouldnt be too expecting of this OY team. yes they have done well but we have no grounds to think we have made a massive jump just yet. we are in div 4 against a decent Tipp, Limerick and Clare teams. They will all be aiming for promotion, as will Leitrim having their great start to the year...Also, Dungarvan is no easy place to go at all and we'll do well to win down there.

Its a very young team with loads of potential but from what I see, there arent too many experienced leaders there yet that we might need when push comes to shove. something you need in any team. that will only come with time.....McDonnell has done really well and all the soundings are good with lads really giving their all in training.

However, Id be well happy to finish in top 4 of division for now and if this is the case, progress has been made in my mind...Tipp are on a role with their football just now, Limerick hammered us in championship 2 years ago and wont fear us at all while there will be a bounce in clare from Micko.......Not to mention Leitrim.....

Id like to see us competitive in all games and hopefully win at least 4 to put us in shake up for promotion. This ll start with a win in London but they wont be as bad as they have been previously. lot of good ball players in London with this recession.....Best of luck lads....
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I think we can be hopeful, we have Clare, Tipp, Limerick all coming to Tullamore. Fair point about the lack of experience, but Muller is solid in goal, Brian Darby, McConway have been around a while. Half backs young enough, and Alan Mc is probably answering the call in terms of experience in the midfield, but Brian Connor and Richie Dalton should cover that area well.
I think we can carry a threat up front, but must get a half forward line that gets in closer to the full line, and run better angles of support.
Cunningham, McPadden, Bernard Allen, are 3 guys who must make impacts when they come in. Also if Johnny Moloney is back , would position him at centre back and free Derek Kelly to the half forward line for a try out. Plus Ken Casey & Niall Darby to come back in when fit.
Whats the story with Mark Dunne from Rhode, is he part of the shake up

Remember, until last year where things were really bad, we were pushing hard to get out of div 3. So on that basis, I would fancy us to be well set for Limerick and Clare, who will both be in Tullamore. And Tipp are our last game, remember, we could well have beaten them last year down there ,(think we missed a few goal chances), and if promotion is on the cards there will be great support for our lads.
First things first though, London will be no pushover, but it will be like a home game for Offaly with the crowd that is going over,so good luck! And all the best to all who are heading over for the weekend, enjoy!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

should get off to a winning start on sunday best of luck to the team.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

We should easily win division 4 pulling up. Here's to a good start

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Allianz FL Division 4
London 1-5 Offaly 1-13 FT
Clare 0-11 Waterford 1-9 FT
Limerick 0-11 Leitrim 0-9 FT
Tipperary 0-16 Carlow 1-14 FT

Some good resuts for OY today. Firstly a +8 score difference is a good take home from London as a lot of teams will do well to match that especially in London. Clare losing at home to Waterford would be a surprise to many and would definitely help OY given that Clare were strong contenders last year. Also with Tipp and Leitrim losing, it means that these teams will now be under serious pressure to win games from now on......

Any report on the game itself. Who played well etc....
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly 1-13 London 1-5

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

On today’s evidence the bad days haven’t been left too far behind. Offaly were awful, particularly in the first half. Lots of short handpasses that made no ground, went sideways or didn’t take a defender out of the game. Once Offaly did reach the London 45m line (usually after about a dozen passes) they were clueless. The attacks were too slow and it allowed London pull 13 men behind the ball (which, in fairness, the whole country (except Offaly) does regularly.

London goaled a penalty in the first minute, and on the first attack Anton Sullivan kicked a free wide from the 20m line in front of the goal. Offaly got it very hard to gain possession, they forced very few turnovers and London won most kickouts. By the midway point of the first half, Alan Mulhall was reduced to chipping short kickouts to the unmarked Shane Sullivan, while London targeted Alan McNamee with theirs.

Offaly had introduced two subs by the 25th minute and Peter Cunningham made a massive difference when he came on, the second man in. Brian Connor mad a number of charges up the middle and Bernard Allen looked lively, but that was about the extent of it, and London were full value for their 1-4 to 0-5 half time lead.

London took almost 20 minutes before reappearing for the second half, and left their first half form behind in the clubhouse. Offaly dominated the second half, London hardly threatened into the (not overly-strong) breeze and Offaly made some good space for themselves in the second half. The game was over as a contest by the time Richie Dalton replaced Alan McNamee and Dalton energised the midfield sector. Sullivan scored a stunning goal ten minutes from the end to seal it, Cunningham was denied what would have been an equally stunning goal by an equally stunning save, Joe Maher made his league debut late in the game and Anton Sullivan saw a 20m free saved.

Overall impression – that was poor, disappointingly so.

As for the jerseys, from a spectator’s perspective Offaly wore Offaly jerseys when they faced the sideline and wore green jerseys when facing the goal. Alan Mulhall wore white, gold & green thirds on the front with white on the back. I actually found it very hard to distinguish the two teams betimes, given that London wore white jerseys and green togs. There was ALOT of green going on. Not sure Carroll Meats will be happy either – I didn’t notice that there even was a sponsor’s logo on the front. Now granted one wouldn’t be able to read the logo in any event (because it’s too far away), but not to notice the presence of a logo because the print isn’t bold enough is another matter.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

So they wore the new jerseys?

Does that mean they are now officially on board or was today a trial run with them?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

job done points on the board, good to see the forwards scoring well in the second half
without our best forward Niall McNamee, another win next sunday should put us in a good position. Tipp lost today which is a good thing also Clare were beaten.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Why did Niall not line out yesterday, and will he be back for next week.
Also looking at the rest of the results, its clear that its goin to be dog eat dog. Leitrim & Clare look likely to be the ones to disappoint based on yesterday, as Limerick were short a few and Clare playing at home.
Tipp and Limerick to push hard, hard to know what Carlow will be like. Rainbow will have them in good shape, and they have some nice footballers if they can get them all playing. That will be a huge win for them. Waterford and Leitrim away will hold the key.
Happy that we got a win without Niall, but hope he's back soon.
Yesterday may have been poor, but in fairness they were under pressure in the first game, and knowing a lot of people had made a big effort to travel out for the game, also the fact that they were without Niall will have added to that pressure. Having won without him will be a big boost to the lads, and also recovering after a nightmare start (outscored London by 1-15 to 5 pts outside the first minute).

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not having been in a position to travel to London, I'm loathe to make too much commentary on the game except to say that a bad start can happen to anyone and the lads clearly kept their heads. The substitutions seemed to improve things and many of the younger players like Cunningham and Carroll seem to have acquitted themselves well again. That's all good news and while we've a long road to travel, it's no harm take things one step at a time.

Congrats also to our lad Joe (Maher) on his debut.

Just on the point about the other results, Tipperary are the class act of the division so obvious Carlow's win over them is good news for everyone chasing promotion. That's not to say that Carlow will be a soft touch by any means. Anthony Rainbow is too competitive to let that happen and I genuinely have no idea what player in Offaly is fit to even come close to containing Brendan Murphy, who would be a nailed on selection in an All Ireland XV for me. Best player operating in our division by a country mile. However Tipperary are the only team currently in division four that I feel would also be very competitive in the promotion race at division 3 level and since we play them last, it could be very helpful if they're out of the running at that stage!

However I don't see Waterford's win over Clare as good news. Mick O'Dwyer pretended that he was going to make a push for the league with Clare this year but I find laughable the idea that a man of his age and with his track record would change his ways now. He doesn't care about the league, never has, and while I personally disagree with that approach when he's managing a team with zero chance of winning a provincial title this year, I'm also acutely aware of his standing in football history and how little my alternative opinion is likely to matter to him.

Waterford, on the other hand, have been sticky opponents for us before (our last two games against them were each two-point-margin matches) and under Niall Carew they are really flying. Huge numbers are reportedly training and working at a level that is much higher than normal for them, while that win yesterday came at a tricky away venue and without their suspended captain. I got a lot of my predictions for the weekend's league games wrong last weekend, but I did call Waterford to win that one (http://starbets.ie/author/kevin-egan/ for the doubters!!) and I'd be amazed if they're not in the shake up by the end.

Or to put it another way, I'd be gutted if we weren't good enough to beat Clare by at least four or five points in OCP. Waterford in Dungarvan on the other hand will be a very tough game and if you offered me a draw now, I think I'd take it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly 1-13 London 1-5

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Most newspaper reports of yesterday's match in London lazily list Shane Sullivan lining out at midfield. That never happened. Sullivan replaced Richie DAlton in the starting lineup but there was a considerable reshuffle.

Brian Connor (wearing 11) lined out at midfield alongside Alan McNamee. Graham Guilfoyle (wearing 7) was something like centre half-forward while Shane Sullivan lined out in the full-back line.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

any word on Nial McNamee fit for sundays game, they might need him again the Shannonsiders