New Offaly Jersey

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

New Offaly Jersey

Post by High School Musical »

Here it is lads & lassies, your new summer wear.
Can't wait to strut around Portlaoise (the Milan of mid-Leinster) in this bad boy during fashion week!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 12380 times

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: New Offaly Jersey

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I'd say you will be strutting and doing strange things in that jersey apart from Portlaoise...none of them GAA related i fear :shock:

esto fidelis
Junior C

Post by esto fidelis »

As far as I know this model was only proposed to county board delegates last night!
The design has a fairly radical change, no collar and is a long way from the traditional green and gold separated by a white hoop which the county has worn through good days and bad. I'm not sure that is something that should be changed! I would prefer to see a more simplistic, retro design like we used to wear in the 80's!
Good to see a more subtle Carroll's logo than the big red one that emblazoned the last shirt! Jerseys will not win games but could generate money for the county board.
What do you think of it?

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

First impression - I didn't like it. But I'll admit that it's "growing" on me as I've looked at the picture again a few times. I think the change of the way Carroll's is printed is a big improvement. I'm all for giving as much credit and return to generous sponsors, and I think this actually makes their name much clearer than a big red logo does.

I'm not sure about the dominance of the green colour on the back, but it does set off the number better than when that has to be spread over dark and light areas, so I'll credit the designer with that. Does this design match any other counties that have a three--colour-section jersey? If not, it will be nice to have something kinda unique. But then, our basic colour elements gives us that uniqueness anyway.

According to "TheScore.ie" http://thescore.thejournal.ie/what-do-y ... 6-Jan2013/ the Offaly PRO Andy Walsh said it got a "mixed reaction" when unveiled to the County Board and this design will be modified. Probably more go-faster stripes to be added.

I bet some sub-editors are already drafting some tasty headlines for the Offaly v Kildare "ham-fest" in the championship this year; hope we dont get HAMmered on the day, will McGeeney stick HAM-fisted to his tactics, will Nialler's HAM-string last the pace, will the Lillies be HAMpered by excessive expectations, .... I'll stop there.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A caveat here - from the perspective of a player trying to pick out a colleague through the sight of the corner of an eye . . .

With these jerseys, if your team-mate is facing you, he's wearing more-or-less the traditional tri-colour;
If he's got his back to you - he's wearing green;
If he's runing in the same direction as you - if he's on your left he's wearing white, if he's on your right he's wearing (mainly) gold).

That's going to cause some difficulty. It seems to me to be designed for the person who's going to buy it in the shops, not for those who are out on the pitch.

It will also probably cause a clash of colours, and require a change, if playing Limerick, and maybe Antrim too.

Get rid of it now. Before it's too late.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I like the look of this geansai from the front, however the traditionalist in me would prefer to see the back of the jersey changed.

The placing of the small gold bar followed by white then a vast expanse of green from the top down doesnt do the front of the jersey justice. A revision here, placing the green,white and gold in the long established format would be better in my opinion.

Change is good though and the Carroll's logo is an improvement on the current style.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I actually think the new jersey design is top class. Im a big fan although I'd say the player fit ones mightn't suit the more portly supporter. The lack of a collar will make it fairly radical. I'm sure the few gym monkeys we have on the panels would be delighted if it gets the thumbs up.

POTH you do make some excellent points on what the player's perspectives during a game would be so that has to be considered. We're definitely in for a change though as the current ones are priced at €25 on oneills.com.

With regards the changed strip we use for colour clashes I'd say we'll be keeping the current one for another while.

Be interesting to see what they go with.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Also it's interesting to know the font of the number has changed for the first time that I can ever remember.

High School Musical
All Star

For those with an interest in high fashion, like my good self, here's the full set of Offaly kits from 1990 right through to the present day. The 1994 all-Ireland winner is still a classic to me. Even the man himself, Snoop Dogg (that's snoop D-O-double G to you guys) liked it so much, that he asked me to appear in one of his video's while wearing it. Good times indeed.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (500.91 KiB) Viewed 11943 times

High School Musical
All Star

Eh, to be honest lads, I don't really know how to use t'internet very well.
Apologies

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I like the front of the jersey , but the back would have to be changed somehow to accomadate some white.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Feck it anyway i changed me mind now after looking at it , i like it. A change might do us good , or i might just get out my green jumper , white belt and gold trousers one last time for the 2013 fashion season. :D

High School Musical
All Star

kingscounty wrote:Feck it anyway i changed me mind now after looking at it , i like it. A change might do us good , or i might just get out my green jumper , white belt and gold trousers one last time for the 2013 fashion season. :D
That's the spirit!!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Goodman Kingscounty, I like it too, but I can see a huge stampede off to Weightwatchers for the next few months!! We'll be like brides getting ready to fit into the wedding dresses. With our big day out in Croker lined up

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Folks, folks.

Who comes first here? The players? Or the 'Off The Rails' brigade?

Actually I think 'off the rails' is a bit apt here.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.