Hurling Managers and predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Hurling Managers and predictions

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Interesting times in Birr.
Time to order a family size popcorn bucket and gallon of coke and watch how it plays out!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Johnny Pilkington has got the Birr job.
It could be the right marriage for both parties.
Or perhaps not. Let's wait and see...

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Word on the street today is that Padraig Horan got the St.Rynaghs job,dont know what the rest of ye think but this is a massive step backwards for Rynaghs as far as im concerned! They wont be hurling in the county final this year!

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

puzzled wrote:Word on the street today is that Padraig Horan got the St.Rynaghs job,dont know what the rest of ye think but this is a massive step backwards for Rynaghs as far as im concerned! They wont be hurling in the county final this year!
I presume that this is the same Padraig Horan who managed Birr to win an All Ireland Club Title. With St Rynaghs having had a very good under 21 team and a good intermediate team last year, they must have a great chance. Have St Rynaghs appointed any selectors yet ????.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

I presume that this is the same Padraig Horan who managed Birr to win an All Ireland Club Title. With St Rynaghs having had a very good under 21 team and a good intermediate team last year, they must have a great chance. Have St Rynaghs appointed any selectors yet ????.[/quote]

How many years ago was that? The major difference between this current Rynaghs team and the Birr team that he trained was the quality available to him and its quite obvious that Rynaghs are miles behind in this department!

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

St Rynaghs were in a strong position to win last years county final when they led by 4 points (I think) at half time under a management that never really won any major title. Surely they must have an even greater chance under a manager "who has been there and done it". The current St Rynaghs team must have potential when they were able to beat Coolderry last year. An experienced man on the sideline might just be the difference.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Sharp Eye wrote:St Rynaghs were in a strong position to win last years county final when they led by 4 points (I think) at half time under a management that never really won any major title. Surely they must have an even greater chance under a manager "who has been there and done it". The current St Rynaghs team must have potential when they were able to beat Coolderry last year. An experienced man on the sideline might just be the difference.
I would have thought Dinny Cahill would fit the bill of an experienced man on the sideline and also one that would not be blinded by any connections within the club,possibly the same advantage that Padraig Horan had years ago when he trained Birr,something does not seem right that a management team would walk away after getting to a county final perhaps they see something you don't?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

puzzled wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:
I would have thought Dinny Cahill would fit the bill of an experienced man on the sideline and also one that would not be blinded by any connections within the club,possibly the same advantage that Padraig Horan had years ago when he trained Birr,something does not seem right that a management team would walk away after getting to a county final perhaps they see something you don't?
I cannot remember Dinny Cahill winning any major adult title as a team manager. I presume Dinny Cahill used local club members as selectors and I trust that they would have input into team selections. I know that St Rynaghs made progress last year, but they did suffer defeats to Shinrone & Belmont for the first time in their history. Management may have felt that they brought this team as far as possible and that somebody else is needed to bring the team to a higher level.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Horan will do well with Rynaghs. He has a good record as a player and manager. He is known as a great leader and very very well respected. And a big plus for them is he will get the most out of Diarmuid which alot of managers have failed to do.

Rynaghs are expected to win a championship and lets be honest about that. They have had far too much success at underage to not win it. These lads are at the right age now to go on and be dominant in Offaly hurling.

Last year Rynaghs left a final behind them. They fell to pieces when it was there to be won. They will tell you that themselves. There is loads of hurlers in the club. Look at the Junior team they put out the year before last. Their third team and it had hurlers that would make senior team in alot of clubs. Maybe that is a problem for them too. A couple of lads on that team should have played higher level hurling. Likewise last year and as a good hurling man from Banagher put it to me, they would have won thje senior if they had'nt left a few lads hurling intermediate that would have been the difference for the seniors.

For me they will win the senior championship if they have the ambition to go flat out for it with their best players and stop being content trying to win a junior or intermediate.

middleman
Junior B

Post by middleman »

timber wrote:Horan will do well with Rynaghs. He has a good record as a player and manager. He is known as a great leader and very very well respected. And a big plus for them is he will get the most out of Diarmuid which alot of managers have failed to do.

Rynaghs are expected to win a championship and lets be honest about that. They have had far too much success at underage to not win it. These lads are at the right age now to go on and be dominant in Offaly hurling.

Last year Rynaghs left a final behind them. They fell to pieces when it was there to be won. They will tell you that themselves. There is loads of hurlers in the club. Look at the Junior team they put out the year before last. Their third team and it had hurlers that would make senior team in alot of clubs. Maybe that is a problem for them too. A couple of lads on that team should have played higher level hurling. Likewise last year and as a good hurling man from Banagher put it to me, they would have won thje senior if they had'nt left a few lads hurling intermediate that would have been the difference for the seniors.
For me they will win the senior championship if they have the ambition to go flat out for it with their best players and stop being content trying to win a junior or intermediate.
This is something that has always struck me with Rynaghs and 1 or 2 of the bigger clubs, theres always one or 2 playing on their junior or intermediate teams that you would wonder how their not playing at a higher standard, is it just a lack of interest and they are just content to play the lower grade or is there something underlying in these clubs??

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

middleman wrote:
This is something that has always struck me with Rynaghs and 1 or 2 of the bigger clubs, theres always one or 2 playing on their junior or intermediate teams that you would wonder how their not playing at a higher standard, is it just a lack of interest and they are just content to play the lower grade or is there something underlying in these clubs??
Successful Management Teams pick their teams on form. They get the best 15 on the pitch. That is what is called player management. Danny Owens and his selectors did not take the easy option after winning the County-Final. They have made changes to the team and as a result have now qualified for the All-Ireland Club Final. Ciaran Slevin has shown that winning teams have a totally reliable freetaker who will not let you down on the big day when the pressure is on. Best of Luck to KK in the Final, Danny Owens and selectors have proven that they deserve their great success.