offaly minor footballers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimmyswinninmatches
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

offaly minor footballers

Post by jimmyswinninmatches »

any one have a list of the panel or how are they getting on? whos involved with padraig farrell?

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Re: offaly minor footballers

Post by lostinjuniora »

JJ Malone from Na Fianna/Ballinagar is a selector anyways

jamserdolan
Junior C
Club: ferbane/doon

Post by jamserdolan »

darragh keenaghan is the only player offaly minors has this season .micky butler and christian brazil is there only other hope

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

While I know that OY minors wouldnt be as strong as in previous years, there are certainly some good players outside of these and if well organised should be able to make a good team. Clara would have at least two decent players to offer. Vincents would have two or three aswell to add to that. There would be another 3 or 4 between Ballinamere Durrow and Mucklagh and that is not including a few Edenderry lads (at least 3) and Eoghan Lowry from your own club Ferbane.....Butler is too slight just yet imo even if he is very accurate. This minor team is all about getting the best lads involved as they might not have been involved as much thro the development squads as they could have been due to school and club committments.....

There is absolutely no reason why this group couldnt reach a final this year if the house is in order and players commit and train to play....
jimbob

jimmyswinninmatches
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

Post by jimmyswinninmatches »

I have heard that offaly minors are playin ait first years next week in a challenge match, which will be a good test for offaly as i seen them play carlow i.t just before christmas,

Ballyduff
Junior B

Post by Ballyduff »

Offaly Minor Fotballers had a good win against Louth yesterday in Ardee winning 2-11 to 2-09 in the first round of Leinster Minor League. Playing Laois next Saturday in a home venue yet to be decided.

Team:
Dylan Buckley Eirn Rovers
Jim Hendy Bracknagh
Ken Hogan Tullamore
Michael Keogh Raheen
Alan Heffernan Shamrocks
Oisin Cusack Durrow
Ross Mangan Edenderry
Mark Kirwan Gracefield
Adam Mangan Kilclonfert
Adam Shelly Tullamore
Jamie Evans Gracefield
Darragh Keenaghan Ferbane
Alkan Geoghegan Ballinamere
Dean Mc Donagh Tullamore
Rory McNamee Rhode

Subs used:
Gordan Quinn (K/K) for Rory McNamee (Injured)
Paddy Dunican Shamrocks for Alan Heffernan
James Lawlor Raheen for Ken Hogan
Ciaran Farrell Edenderry for Dean McDonagh

TheBoyWonder
Junior C
Club: None

Post by TheBoyWonder »

Only one substitute used in the recent game v Kildare. Now, why was that? They made 10 changes. Maybe it's a c clever plan to protect the lads from defeat at all costs and not break their spirit too soon...

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I know this probably belongs on a thread of its own but just to comment on the U-21 side for tonight it looks like a very strong squad on paper

With a few more additions to the team ( Leon Fox, Rory Mcnamee, Ciaran Cahill Eammon McCabe) there is a team that can challenge anyone in the next few years

Just on the point of this years minors, with all due respect to them there doesn't seem to be a whole lot there save for young Mcnamee and possibly young McDonagh chap from Tullamore

Also can someone tell me what has happened to Gracefield over the past number of years?!

I've always felt that they are a club with a big History and a big enough catchment area that they should be producing better players than they currently are

When i used to play against them at u-10s and u-11s they used to have big strong lads twice the size of us on their team

I'm just slightly miffed that they aren't a more competitive team at least at underage level given their catchment area or am i overestimating the resources available to them?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

They have brought in a goalkeeper from Na Fianna called Jay Dunne who will most likely be number one for the championship opener. he is a potential u21 and senior goalkeeper in the years ahead if he continues to play football. they have the potential to go far as individuals but im not sure if they are good enough as a unit

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Shelly leads the fightback as rejuvenated Offaly rout Royals

OFFALY 6-10 MEATH 3-8 LEINSTER MFC – 22 APRIL 2013

OFFALY staged one of the comebacks of the year to send Meath tumbling to the losers' section in a dramatic opener at Pairc Tailteann.

Meath, with three of the side that started last year's All-Ireland final against Dublin, seemed to be coasting to victory after opening up a nine-point lead by the 25th minute as their dominance paid off.

They still enjoyed a 3-8 to 2-4 advantage following a Daire Rowe point on 39 minutes but failed to score again and were routed by a rejuvenated Offaly who notched 4-6 without reply in the final 20 minutes to leave the Royals shell-shocked.

The Faithful County led for the first time when full-forward Adam Shelly turned his marker and blasted to the net on 53 minutes and, by that stage, the momentum was only going in one direction.

Corner-forward Alan Geoghegan then added two points and the siege on the Meath goal continued as Shelly struck for his second goal on the stroke of 60 minutes.

Then in added time Offaly added salt to Meath's wounds with a point from substitute Gareth Byrne and a sixth goal from Geoghegan.

Livewire corner-forward Joey Wallace gave the hosts an early boost with the game's opening score, a goal on seven minutes. Wallace finished to the net after a James McEntee effort rebounded off the crossbar.

Surrendered

Rowe then fired to the net on 18 minutes having been placed by Wallace after the Offaly defence surrendered possession.

They could have had a third goal when Wallace was again the provider but Shaun Byrne's attempt was kept out by 'keeper Jason Dunne at the expense of a '45', which Niall Lyons pointed.

Offaly, who played into the stiff breeze in the opening half, threw themselves a lifeline on 26 minutes when midfielder Patrick Dunican got on the end of a delivery from Rory McNamee to flick to the net and leave it 2-6 to 1-3 at the break.

They got a further boost, courtesy of an Adam Mangan goal on 36 minutes and the goal-fest continued as James McEntee netted at the other end two minutes later.

The Meath challenge collapsed after that and Offaly took full advantage, punching holes in a porous Royal rearguard.

SCORERS – Offaly: A Shelly 2-0, A Geoghegan 1-3, P Dunican 1-2 (0-1f), J Evans 1-1, A Mangan 1-0, R McNamee 0-3, G Byrne 0-1. Meath: J Wallace 1-3, D Rowe 1-1, N Lyons 0-3 (1 '45, 1f), J McEntee 1-0, N Kane 0-1.

OFFALY – J Dunne; K Hogan, J Lawlor, M Keogh; J Hendy, D Cusack, A Heffernan; P Dunican, D Byrne; D McDonagh, A Mangan, J Evans; A Geoghegan, A Shelly, R McNamee. Subs: D Keenaghan for McDonagh (34), G Byrne for Shelly (59), C Brazil for Keogh (59).
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 11888.html
MEATH – J O'Sullivan; T McGovern, C Bird, S Lavin; N Kane, G Harper, R O Coileain; R O'Grady, K McCabe; S Byrne, N Lyons, D McGovern; D Rowe, J McEntee, J Wallace. Subs: D Dillon for Lyons (43), K Traynor for Kane (52), D Toner for Byrne (55), A Neary for Harper (57), J McLoughlin for T McGovern (59).

REF – S Johnson (Louth)

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

super win , did i see that they wore a new white jersey against Meath? 8)

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done lads, great win and hopefully this side will build on the victory as they were being widely written off in advance.
ALso Kingscounty , Did you see it, was it white, can you believe your own eyes??? :roll:

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Well done lads, great win and hopefully this side will build on the victory as they were being widely written off in advance.
ALso Kingscounty , Did you see it, was it white, can you believe your own eyes??? :roll:
well to be honest i just seen a pic on website just kinda got the back view of it as it was an action shot that showed the meath jersey more so. :o

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

The draw for the Leinster MFC quarter-finals was made on Wednesday night.

All four games will be played on Saturday 11 May before a two month break to allow for the State exams.

Leinster MFC quarter-finals
Kildare v Offaly, Newbridge, TBC
Dublin v Wexford, Parnell Park, TBC
Westmeath v Wicklow, Mullingar, TBC
Laois v Meath, Portlaoise, TBC

Semi-finals - Saturday 6 July
Kildare or Offaly v Dublin or Wexford, TBC, TBC
Westmeath or Wicklow v Laois or Meath, TBC, TBC

Final - Sunday 20 July

Tough draw for Offaly after beating Meath in Navan, Meath now have the better draw???

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Hope to get to St. Conleths this Saturday to see the minors beat the Lilies, should be a good game, the Lilies really fancy themselves to win at least a Leinster this year, whats new, When they played in the league Offaly conceded a few late scores after tiring to lose by3/4 points.