O'Byrne Cup 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

O'Byrne Cup 2013

Post by DAF »

Hard to believe the GAA season is back already but Offaly's opening O'Byrne cup match is on on Sunday at 2pm in O'Connor park against Laois.Does anybody have any idea of the Offaly team?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Casey and Darby back for Offaly by 'late March'

Friday January 04 2013

OFFALY'S footballers will start the new season without Ken Casey and Niall Darby after recent surgery but new manager Emmet McDonnell is hopeful they will be available again by the middle of the Allianz League.

Both players went under the knife after being dogged by persistent groin problems.

Casey, who lined out at centre-forward for the Faithful County last summer, had to have surgery for a Gilmore's Groin problem, while defender Darby has been suffering from the problematic osteitis pubis condition, which also results in recurring groin pain.

"They both had surgery in December and are already working away on their rehab and we are hoping they will be back by late March and in time for the fourth round of the league," McDonnell said.

He is making his own inter-county management debut next Sunday when Offaly take on Laois in their Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup opener.

The 33-year-old from Kinnegad has taken over the mantle of youngest inter-county manager in the country this season.

While he has no experience at senior level, he has already earned quite a reputation with St Mary's, Edenderry, where he is a teacher.

McDonnell managed the Offaly school to Leinster and All-Ireland senior 'B' titles in 2007 and the Leinster senior 'A' title in 2009. They won the Hogan Cup last year.

Rising Offaly stars Anton Sullivan, Sean Pender and Derek Kelly were coached at the school by McDonnell. Another St Mary's graduate is Paul Cribbin, the young Kildare player who subsequently went to Collingwood in the AFL but is now back and available to Kieran McGeeney this season.

McDonnell has not yet finalised his O'Byrne Cup panel but said "10 or 12 of the lads we're working with would have come through the school team with us".

He said 19 of last year's panel are also involved again this year, including county top scorer Niall McNamee.

"The only thing I am looking for at the moment is that the players are honest and committed and that's certainly been our experience so far," he said.

Offaly have home advantage in Tullamore for Sunday's O'Byrne Cup opener but the venue for Westmeath v Athlone IT clash has been switched to Moate.

- Cliona Foley

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 42205.html

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

The Offaly team to face Laois in the O'Byrne Cup has been named.

The derby clash at Tullamore is new manager Emmet McDonnell's first competitive game in charge of the Faithful County and he has opted to go with the following personnel:
Alan Mulhall;
David Hanlon, Paul McConway, Sean Pender;
Brian Darby, Derek Kelly, Graham Guilfoyle;
Alan McNamee, Richie Dalton;
Ross Brady, Brian Connor, Eoin Carroll;
Matthew Mitchell, Niall McNamee, Anton Sullivan.

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

Anybody know the full panel?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i thought he might used the O'Byrne cup to look at young new players, i think only
Eoin Carroll would be the only new face in that team, where has Mick Verney gone was suppose to be going well with them, and the lad from Gracefield Allen.

i think we won't learn anything new from that side that we already know best of luck
to them on sunday would be nice to start the new year with a win over the neighbour :wink:

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

townman wrote:i thought he might used the O'Byrne cup to look at young new players, i think only
Eoin Carroll would be the only new face in that team, where has Mick Verney gone was suppose to be going well with them, and the lad from Gracefield Allen.

Verney = Torn hamstring

Allen = Broken jaw

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

offalyman08 wrote:
townman wrote:i thought he might used the O'Byrne cup to look at young new players, i think only

Verney = Torn hamstring

Allen = Broken jaw

any idea when they will be back.I was looking forward to seeing the two of them play, Verney in particular as I havenever seen him play football

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

offalyman08 wrote:

Verney = Torn hamstring

Allen = Broken jaw
thats a pity was looking forward to see them, Allen i think would make a fine halfback

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Any word on the opposition team for tomorro ??

A win would be a boast !!!!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Looking at this starting 15 & the lack of change in this starting 15 from last years panel must surely be the best indication that there is a cronic lack of talent in the county!!
The Untouchable

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Full time: Offaly 1-11 Laois 1-8

Happy with that, A good start/

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Offaly 1-11 Laois 1-8

Offaly were by far the better team and could afford to miss a penalty.Performance in the first half was excellent and although Offaly slipped in the second half it was an improvement on last year at least the players look fit this year.

The positives were Niall McNamee who loos to have a real spring in his step and he scored ome lovely points,Brian Connor who finally looks to be fit,Paul McConway and Brian Darby were excellent in defence and Paul McPadden was very lively in the forwad line and scored a nice goal.

The major negaative for me is the gap between our midfield and full forward line, we had no half forward line today they played far too deep and this meant that McNamee and McPadden were too isolated for most of the game, the half forward line need to have a starting position further up the field or else add more pace to it so they get get in to support the full forward line quicker.Also we are too reliant on Niall McNamee and I would suggest we take him off the frees (if we can find a free taker) as him being both our number 1 forward and free taker heaps a huge amount of pressure on him.

Where are Bernard Allen,Niall Smith,Michael Brazil and John Maloney.I didnt see their names on the panel today.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

DAF wrote:Offaly 1-11 Laois 1-8

Offaly were by far the better team and could afford to miss a penalty.Performance in the first half was excellent and although Offaly slipped in the second half it was an improvement on last year at least the players look fit this year.

The positives were Niall McNamee who loos to have a real spring in his step and he scored ome lovely points,Brian Connor who finally looks to be fit,Paul McConway and Brian Darby were excellent in defence and Paul McPadden was very lively in the forwad line and scored a nice goal.

The major negaative for me is the gap between our midfield and full forward line, we had no half forward line today they played far too deep and this meant that McNamee and McPadden were too isolated for most of the game, the half forward line need to have a starting position further up the field or else add more pace to it so they get get in to support the full forward line quicker.Also we are too reliant on Niall McNamee and I would suggest we take him off the frees (if we can find a free taker) as him being both our number 1 forward and free taker heaps a huge amount of pressure on him.

Where are Bernard Allen,Niall Smith,Michael Brazil and John Maloney.I didnt see their names on the panel today.
The 3 boys are on college duty and Niall Smith isn't involved.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Its a worry that this is pretty close to the 15 that may start in the championship. Its great to get a win but I cant see what is there being good enough come the serious games.

Young McPadden did well but Ive seen some pretty average club players give him very little. I know its a building process but the talent that we are looking to for the future would be a worry.

Its the same old reliables putting in good performances. Nialler would make any team in the country if fully fit. Pure class. Darby played well again but he is never going to gain the few inches in height that goes against him when the action gets serious at intercounty level. Good to see McConway doing well. Was a great talent but went off the rails a bit. Hopefully McDonnell can get the best out of him.

Maloney is a decent prospect. Would like to see him progress when he gets back to full fitness.

My biggest concern is the lack of talent. Its fair to say its alot easier get a county call up these days than it was through the late 90's and up to mid to late 2000's.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good win and a great start for the new manger, Laois are never bad and have been playing
in division 1 plus finish the year strong. and never come to tullamore to lay down so good
display belive it could have been 8 points if they took there chances.

hope they keep up the good work into the league they are playing during the week in gracefield in the next round should get a good crowd at that.