O'Byrne Cup 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013

Post by kingscounty »

Good performance and big improvement on the o byrne cup game last year which Kildare won 0-17 to 0-04. I thought he should have moved Pender off Johnston as he couldnt handle him at all, maybe put Darby back on him or something, Pender was behind him and gave him to much room to score . There is to much pressure on Niall and he shouldnt be expected to hit frees and penalties , maybe he wanted to hit the penalty but after hitting one wide a few weeks back someone else should be put on peno duty. He needs more support upfront , at one stage in the first half he was in the corner with the ball and 3 Kildare defenders on him and he had no support at all. Kildare are 3 divisons above Offaly and today we gave them a good rattle , hopefully the boys can keep up the hard work and reap the rewards in the league.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

jimbob17 wrote:I thought he should have moved Pender off Johnston as he couldnt handle him at all, maybe put Darby back on him or something, Pender was behind him and gave him to much room to score .
Agree with the above, Johnston was the difference, gave Pender a torrid time, management should had made a move here. The sooner the better that management take Nialler off frees and peno's the better, I thought that Anton or Cunningham or Young should have taken it. Offaly played well but its still January, it will be a totally different game in the championship but i'm looking forward to it, yesterday proved that we have better players than Kildare once we have our fitness. On another note should the ref not have given Conway a straight RED. Anyway Roll on the summer..........

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Very good battling performance from the lads yesterday with plenty of heart and commitment on show. Big improvement on where we were this time last year and it’s nice to be competitive again. However I wouldn’t be getting too carried away. As stated by BnM already, Offaly are closer to their performance ceiling than most other teams at this stage of the year. Come the summer, we will still be closer to the Carlow’s and Wicklow’s of this world than the Dublin’s, Kildare’s or even Wexfords. I realise that we’ve got to aspire to bigger things but we’ve also got to keep things in perspective. If we managed to win promotion I would see it as a successful year (which won't be easy!), a win in the championship or the qualifiers would be bonus territory

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

Paschal Kellaghan was covering match on Midlands 103 and one thing of many things he said stood out for me he said people keep talking about that offaly are 3 years behind kildare thats nonsense I dont believe that

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

summerindublin wrote: On another note should the ref not have given Conway a straight RED..
and are Offaly not lucky yer man who got the yellow for the elbow picked up by the linesman, didn't get a straight red for isn't that that punishment for 'striking'? Kildare very lazy in first half, Offaly bossed midfield, which is a good start. Lots of ifs and buts, Kildare camped around Mulhalls goal for minutes just before the missed penalty. Dalton made some great runs but woeful end results. It's progress definately, but let's see what the league brings first. It was entertaining and that was enough for mid January.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/20 ... g-process/

encouraging signs for Offaly football. From management, players and supporters alike.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

[quote="Archangel Dalton made some great runs but woeful end results.[/quote]

Dalton did not play, do you mean Guilfoyle?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Probably referring to Shane, with an itchy elbow trying to find a place to scratch it. Should keep it away from the opponennt in those circumstances, especially with the standside linesman watching intently !!!! Propably Tomas Connor's fault for standing so close !!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I get directed to this. A good article from the Irish Post in the UK.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/index.php/co ... -principal

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

With Kildare winning against Dublin it goes to show that Offaly have really put in the training this year so far and with a bit of luck last week we should have at least got a draw from Kildare.