O'Byrne Cup 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Re: O'Byrne Cup 2013

Post by DAF »

Last edited by DAF on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

timber wrote:Its a worry that this is pretty close to the 15 that may start in the championship. Its great to get a win but I cant see what is there being good enough come the serious games.

Young McPadden did well but Ive seen some pretty average club players give him very little. I know its a building process but the talent that we are looking to for the future would be a worry.

Its the same old reliables putting in good performances. Nialler would make any team in the country if fully fit. Pure class. Darby played well again but he is never going to gain the few inches in height that goes against him when the action gets serious at intercounty level. Good to see McConway doing well. Was a great talent but went off the rails a bit. Hopefully McDonnell can get the best out of him.

Maloney is a decent prospect. Would like to see him progress when he gets back to full fitness.

My biggest concern is the lack of talent. Its fair to say its alot easier get a county call up these days than it was through the late 90's and up to mid to late 2000's.

Paul Mc Conway off the rails? I think he was just unlucky with injuries in fairness

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Lets be fair about this lads. Some of ye are being a little harsh.
1) Yes, there is a lack of talent in Offaly at the minute, but there are some young lads with potential who are u21, and McDonnell is working away in the background with them. Some may come into the squad for the championship, but the important thing is that they get a fair chance at their grade.

2) The lads that are listed in college, plus Eoin Rigney, will all be good additions to the squad, plus the likes of Verney and Allen. Pity about Niall Smith who would be a good addition in midfield. But the reality is that lads like him and Johnny Brickland (who has pulled out already) would be there instead of Alan Mc and Ross Brady around the midfield and half forward line. They are not, and all the best to the lads that are there.

3) While we may not have the best talent in the province, we have a young enthusiastic manager there who seems to be getting the full backing of the players, who from the efforts of yesterday have put in a big effort so far. If they can maintain this over the next 2 to 3 years and integrate a few younger players, then we will really see the benefit.

4) Club Faithful seems to be making an impact, I noticed a bigger crowd there yesterday. Not huge, but I think it has awoken many of us from the slumber that exists, and for me it was uplifting to see our lads taking the game to a Laois side (who had a fairly experimental team out, and looking at the size of them, have been doing some serious weights), who may not have as much work done as Offaly.
It was important to get the win and give that group a lift. In fairness it deserves plenty of support and hopefully will gain some momentum over the coming months.

With regard to the players, we were quite solid at the back, (Mulhall pulled off a great late save), worked hard around the middle. I agree, no half forward line, (apart from young Carroll, who had a solid game in loose play, (great pass for the goal, and pass to Niall for the penalty). Brian Connor will improve with games, and might be a better option at midfield. Mitchell started well,but faded. Anton had an off day. Nialler was super in the first half, Laois adapted their tactics in the second half and we need to be more flexible when this happens. McPadden did well, but had a couple of good opportunities. He's young and will learn, size will always be an issue.

Happy, it's progress , and well done to the lads. Keep it up men!! :wink:

Finally lets think back to our recent excursions into the O Byrne Cup against DCU & Kildare?? Feeling any more optimistic now?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good win. The balance was right. There is no use experimenting for the sake of it and losing.
Would we rather McDonnell gave anyone and everyone the jersey and then be on Midlands Radio trotting the 'rebuilding' and 'young team' excuses to explain defeat.

The most important thing now is to create momentum. Take everything from the Fitzsimons Cup to the O'Byrne Cup as an opportunity to build up a head of steam.

When Tommy Lyons was in charge in '97 he started off by winning the O'Byrne Cup and then every game in Div 4. That winning momentum took us to Croke Park in the last Sunday of August. There was no guff about needing look at players and long term plans.

I think there is more to be gained from working with the existing group of players and maximising their potential than scouring the county to find undiscovered diamonds.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Well said BNM. On another note, I thought I was in a new Bewley's under the stand yesterday - 5 beans for a coffee and ham sandwich - no mustard!!! Club Faithful have a word please!

Club Faithful
Junior B

Post by Club Faithful »

Offaly team to play AIT
1 Alan Mulhall
2 Brian Darby
3 Eoin Rigney
4 Sean Pender
5 David Hanlon
6 Derek Kelly
7 Graham Guilfoyle
8 Alan McNamee
9 Richie Dalton
10 Ross Brady
11 Brian Connor
12 Eoin Carroll
13 Matt Mitchell
14 Niall McNamee
15 Anton Sullivan

Club Faithful members will have their supporters zone in ex Offaly All Ireland Winner Padraig Dunne's Pub 'After Dark' in the square in Portarlington after the game where we will be hosted for our cuppa and a chat.

Lets keep the crowds coming and give the lads as much support as we can. We are also grateful for Padraig Dunne for hosting us after the match. A great Offaly Gael...

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

A win is a win, and in our case almost a rare thing. Well done to the lads.

We've even made the national media ....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 46408.html
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

dropped in to gracefield tonite good win on a very cold night, two changes from the team
that was named, Peter Cunningham and Keith McGuinness came in for Alan Mac and Richie Dalton.

good displays from Brian Connor who scored a good goal as did Peter Cunningham
Niall McNamee was quiet enough and missed about 4 frees again tonite
it was strange to see Shane O'Sullivan coming in at corner forward for the second half.

Westmeath next sunday they will have to up their display a bit from tonite to take
the points in which i am sure they will for another derby.

good crowd tonite to for such a cold one, best for offaly were the 3 goal scores Brian Connor, Peter Cunningham, and Eoin Carroll,

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Another good win... Horrible cold foggy night to play football( even colder to watch it)
But I think it's plain to see... We're going to have to carry a free-kicker...even let Mulhall up from
The goals to kick them all....will be the difference in the close games... Onwards and upwards
Tho great spirit and effort being shown by the lads..uibhfhaili abu

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Good solid start, hopefully keeps going. It would be great to see the Faithful on a good run. Alan Mulhall should be taking the place kicks. One of Offaly's best performers over the last year or two, and probably the most consistant free taker in the county.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

But I think it's plain to see... We're going to have to carry a free-kicker...even let Mulhall up from
The goals to kick them all....will be the difference in the close games... Onwards and upwards
Shocking to think that a county that has claim to two of the best free takers of all time, Matt Connor and Tony McTeague, can't find one who can do it for us! Do players not practice them?

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

Well done lads
We carried shaper in tommy lyons era as our free taker and it worked, we badly need a consistant free taker though

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the thing is McNamee is a good free taker i think if he left it on the ground he would be better. its early yet and he has been out of football for a while i think come summer or in a few rounds of the league he will have his eye in, if not did Ken Casey not take them underage.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

townman wrote:it was strange to see Shane O'Sullivan coming in at corner forward for the second half.
Shane Sullivan may have replaced a forward, but he most definitely did not come on as a corner-forward. Shane spent the second half playing just behind Derek Kelly.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

The Magpie wrote:
townman wrote:it was strange to see Shane O'Sullivan coming in at corner forward for the second half.
Shane Sullivan may have replaced a forward, but he most definitely did not come on as a corner-forward. Shane spent the second half playing just behind Derek Kelly.
yes true but just before the throw in for the second half he came into the corner forward
he was just in front of me as i was on the standside on the path, offaly then played a 2 man full forward line as Shane moved out.