Rhode Have new manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offaly2012
Junior A

Rhode Have new manager

Post by offaly2012 »

Rhode have a new manager since friday nights agm
Gerry hickey lost out to Pat Dingle Daly
Any thoughts?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Rhode Have new manager

Post by bracknaghboy »

offaly2012 wrote:Any thoughts?
No.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

offaly2012 wrote:Rhode have a new manager since friday nights agm
Gerry hickey lost out to Pat Dingle Daly
Any thoughts?
I'm intrigued - and the reason being that intentionally or otherwise, that post implies that:

(1) Gerry Hickey sought to retain the job,

and

(2) That there was a vote and that the club members voted to install Daly as the manager, thus removing Hickey from the post.

Is that correct?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

yes it went to a vote and daly got the job,only heard friday morning myself that dingle was in the running again(was also in contention last year).big shock but i think alot of gerrys supporters were not at the agm thinking he would be staying on and maybe not knowing that anyone else was in the running for the job.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Wow.

Well if that's the case, then it says one thing very clearly - there are a lot of people in Rhode very unhappy that the club didn't make a better fist of winning Leinster this year. I can't imagine any other situation that would lead to people voting against a championship-winning manager, particularly when we allow for the fact that Rhode were pretty much untouched in the county this year - nobody even came close to them. This would require an orchestrated move since you'd imagine that club members who hadn't been canvassed one way or another, but who just went along to attend their AGM, would stick with the status quo. For example if I felt that a club manager had done a good job with Ferbane, and the team went well and showed significant improvement on the previous year, then I'd be slow to vote against them even if we had the option of getting Mickey Harte or Jim McGuinness as the manager instead. In fact even by standing against Gerry Hickey, Dingle Daly has made a very clear statement that he feels he can do better. That's a brave statement if you ask me.

Perhaps there's more internal politics at play here and that could be a factor as well, but I wouldn't expect that to be shared here.

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

Ther was alot of talk the last number of weeks and it very unlikely gerry didnt here some thing but was not justified .

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I'm not really into the admin side of GAA clubs so much, but is it strange that the members vote on the manager at an AGM? I would have thought that the usual practice is to have the committee deal with this behind closed doors?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Your last line in your last post reflects the facts, local politics. Incredible that a coach could be ousted via an AGM after winning all before him. RHode were always going to be up against it against the Louth champions so thats not the reason.
This is good news for the rest of the contenders as Dingles record as a coach could be described as average at best!

Am really surprised at this, and to be honest am shocked that this could happen in a club like Rhode.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

llkj wrote:I'm not really into the admin side of GAA clubs so much, but is it strange that the members vote on the manager at an AGM? I would have thought that the usual practice is to have the committee deal with this behind closed doors?
That would be usual, yes - however while the GAA is democratic in theory, that kind of goes out the window when nobody wants half the jobs that are there and lads have to be browbeaten into taking on responsibility. As such you might have no option as a member to vote for a particular person to be on or off the committee, but you can table a motion on a certain issue. If something is voted and passed at the AGM, the club committee cannot then over-rule that.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Lone Shark wrote: but you can table a motion on a certain issue. If something is voted and passed at the AGM, the club committee cannot then over-rule that.
If the rules governing an AGM were applied correctly a notice requesting nominations for all electable positions and any motions must be sent to members at least 28 days in advance of the meeting. All nominations and notices of motion must be returned to the Club Executive 21 days before the meeting and no later than 10 days before the meeting the full list of nominations and notice of all motions must be sent to the members.

The Executive committee does not have to accept motions from the floor on the night if it so wishes.

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

From what im hearing Last year the committee excutive and non decided to form a committee on management which was to reccomend either or .on the night as laid out they couldnt as know one had packages together . gerry won the vote now year later you have a situation where when it went to floor and dingle got a proposal and seconder another proposal was made to leave it to excutive which was defeated heavily. there for it was taking out of excutive hands. and gerry lost but this is a different situation as the people at the agm are regulars at the agm every year so even thought it a bad situation no one was brought in just to vote that had never being at an agm before

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

club125 wrote:
Lone Shark wrote: but you can table a motion on a certain issue. If something is voted and passed at the AGM, the club committee cannot then over-rule that.
If the rules governing an AGM were applied correctly a notice requesting nominations for all electable positions and any motions must be sent to members at least 28 days in advance of the meeting. All nominations and notices of motion must be returned to the Club Executive 21 days before the meeting and no later than 10 days before the meeting the full list of nominations and notice of all motions must be sent to the members.

The Executive committee does not have to accept motions from the floor on the night if it so wishes.
Of course. Granted these rules can be haphazardly applied from club to club, but that's exactly how it should go.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

offaly2012 wrote:From what im hearing Last year the committee excutive and non decided to form a committee on management which was to reccomend either or .on the night as laid out they couldnt as know one had packages together . gerry won the vote now year later you have a situation where when it went to floor and dingle got a proposal and seconder another proposal was made to leave it to excutive which was defeated heavily. there for it was taking out of excutive hands. and gerry lost but this is a different situation as the people at the agm are regulars at the agm every year so even thought it a bad situation no one was brought in just to vote that had never being at an agm before
It's not that we thought lads were brought in out of nowhere - it's the idea that the floor would be so heavily filled with people who would be so keen to get rid of a manager who was quite successful by any reasonable measure is the surprising part.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Was this an ambush on the manager done by stealth?
If Gerry Hickey knew he was in danger of being toppled, could he have filled the room with his own loyalists and won the vote?

Maybe it was normal democracy at work - the majority within the club support the change.
But if it isn't the case, it could sour things in Rhode next year.

Chalky
Junior C

Post by Chalky »

"as the people at the agm are regulars at the agm every year"

I'm a regular reader of this site and do not post but I have to take umbrage with the above comment. This was a complete and utter ambush, There were lads at the AGM that you would never see at a Rhode match never mind an AGM !

A couple of other points I'd like to make.

- There was an unwritten rule so to speak that the Rhode manager went unopposed at the AGM if he decided he wanted to continue in the role. This was the case for all managers whether they had won or not won that years championship.

- This was completely divided the village which is really sad, the decision by Pat Daly and his cronies will be divisive and will cost the club in the long term by the loss of players, volunteers and lotto money.
- Gerry Hickey didn’t deserve to be treated this way, he has conducted himself with honour throughout this whole saga and deserved another crack after bringing the Senior, League and U21 titles back to the village this year.