Rhode Have new manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Rhode Have new manager

Post by Lone Shark »

Chalky wrote:"as the people at the agm are regulars at the agm every year"

I'm a regular reader of this site and do not post but I have to take umbrage with the above comment. This was a complete and utter ambush, There were lads at the AGM that you would never see at a Rhode match never mind an AGM !

A couple of other points I'd like to make.

- There was an unwritten rule so to speak that the Rhode manager went unopposed at the AGM if he decided he wanted to continue in the role. This was the case for all managers whether they had won or not won that years championship.

- This was completely divided the village which is really sad, the decision by Pat Daly and his cronies will be divisive and will cost the club in the long term by the loss of players, volunteers and lotto money.
- Gerry Hickey didn’t deserve to be treated this way, he has conducted himself with honour throughout this whole saga and deserved another crack after bringing the Senior, League and U21 titles back to the village this year.
It did look like an ambush to an outsider all right - but needless to say we'd defer to local knowledge.

Just to pick up on these points - only paid up members can vote at an AGM. Anyone can attend and it's up to the chairman who can speak, but voting rights are strictly for paid members only. I doubt that lads paid Rhode GAA money back in the spring just for the right to vote for Pat Daly and never went to a match in the meantime.

Sadly, your point about divisiveness in the club is all too true. Certainly if I was a player or a volunteer happy with the way things are being done, I'd be slow to take up the yoke and get cracking again in 2013 after a decision like this.

I'm not a big fan of "unwritten rules" though. Such traditions and customs can get both manipulated and abused, as may have happened in this case.

As an aside, welcome to the board chalky - always good to have new contributors.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

I think it was unfair what happened but chalkey your first point I cant agree with .the other side could have said the same that attended the agm when gerry was put in.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I guarantee you Lone Shark that all who were present were allowed to vote. I would think it is rare that the list of paid up members is pulled out to verify who can or cant vote in many clubs.

And yes this will have an effect on the club in Rhode.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Just a point to note; the standard club constitution will state that only members that pay their dues prior to the 31st of March shall having voting rights at that years AGM. Previously this was 31st of August but was amemded in recent years.

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I guarantee you Lone Shark that all who were present were allowed to vote. I would think it is rare that the list of paid up members is pulled out to verify who can or cant vote in many clubs.

Not true in Rhodes Case

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

yes only fully paid up members can vote.i think there was 81 at the agm this year compared 150 lasy year i think(dont quote meon that)in the end i think there was only 7 or 8 votes in it.it was an ambush pure and simple.dont think it was anything to do with rhode's leinster campaign because it was a game that rhode just didnt perform,which can happen any team.dingle's track record as a manager is poor and he has alot to prove but by the time the spring comes around i think the supporters will back him and the team .A division in the club could come this time nxt year if the team is not successfull.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

This is a disgrace, I am a Rhode man through and through and could not beleive this was allowed to happen, the Executive should not have allowed this, the general rule is that you put your name on a notice board that it is your intention to run for a particular post in the club and on the night of the AGM a vote is taken, most clubs do not allow members vote on the managers post. Gerry was ambushed alright, no doubt, I know Dingle well but his record as a coach/manager would leave me very unsure of his ability to bring this Rhode team up another rung in the ladder, also I feel that he has his favorites, the Rhode executive should have a ggod long look at them selves and go aswell This has brought shame to the Rhode club to treat a man like this, Gerry, you did a great job and Dingle you're under serious pressure to deliver not just in Offaly but way further.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Very surprised when I heard about this, hard to believe a manager who won so much wouldn’t get a second year. In my own club he’d be given the freedom of the town! But I would make one observation and its this……why didn’t any of the players speak at the agm and put forward the case for retaining their manager? I'm sure this would have been possible and appreciated by the outgoing management team. I’m also not exactly sure why the executive are being asked to resign, it was a democratic vote. If the executive over ruled the vote then you’re heading into dictatorship territory, at that stage you’re in real trouble. Anyways best of luck to Rhode next year, they are a great club and it would be a pity to see them divided over something like this. On a positive note for all other clubs, it might just give them a chance to compete with them :D

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

summerindublin wrote:This is a disgrace, I am a Rhode man through and through and could not beleive this was allowed to happen, the Executive should not have allowed this, the general rule is that you put your name on a notice board that it is your intention to run for a particular post in the club and on the night of the AGM a vote is taken, most clubs do not allow members vote on the managers post. Gerry was ambushed alright, no doubt, I know Dingle well but his record as a coach/manager would leave me very unsure of his ability to bring this Rhode team up another rung in the ladder, also I feel that he has his favorites, the Rhode executive should have a ggod long look at them selves and go aswell This has brought shame to the Rhode club to treat a man like this, Gerry, you did a great job and Dingle you're under serious pressure to deliver not just in Offaly but way further.
If you were at the AGM you know why the Executive could not stand in

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

Square Cab wrote:Very surprised when I heard about this, hard to believe a manager who won so much wouldn’t get a second year. In my own club he’d be given the freedom of the town! But I would make one observation and its this……why didn’t any of the players speak at the agm and put forward the case for retaining their manager? I'm sure this would have been possible and appreciated by the outgoing management team. I’m also not exactly sure why the executive are being asked to resign, it was a democratic vote. If the executive over ruled the vote then you’re heading into dictatorship territory, at that stage you’re in real trouble. Anyways best of luck to Rhode next year, they are a great club and it would be a pity to see them divided over something like this. On a positive note for all other clubs, it might just give them a chance to compete with them :D

Your bit about the Players Square cab if you knew anything about the AGM would know by the crowd attended that from the most players at the agm voted against current manager and from talk the week before were not happy with current manager

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

summerindublin wrote:This is a disgrace, I am a Rhode man through and through and could not beleive this was allowed to happen, the Executive should not have allowed this, the general rule is that you put your name on a notice board that it is your intention to run for a particular post in the club and on the night of the AGM a vote is taken, most clubs do not allow members vote on the managers post. Gerry was ambushed alright, no doubt, I know Dingle well but his record as a coach/manager would leave me very unsure of his ability to bring this Rhode team up another rung in the ladder, also I feel that he has his favorites, the Rhode executive should have a ggod long look at them selves and go aswell This has brought shame to the Rhode club to treat a man like this, Gerry, you did a great job and Dingle you're under serious pressure to deliver not just in Offaly but way further.
Just to pick up on this post:

(1) I don't know this "general rule" that you speak of, but in GAA rules, it's only committee positions that you must be nominated for in advance. Footballing positions such as senior team manager would not be included in this.
(2) If a motion is moved and passed at an AGM, no committee member can do the first thing about it except implement it. The committee is there to run the club but an AGM motion passed by the membership of the club must be implemented, regardless of whether they agree with it or not.
(3) When you say most clubs do not "allow members vote on the managers post", that is incorrect. In most clubs it is left up to the committee to appoint a manager, usually through a sub committee set up for that purpose. However if a motion is made at an AGM for Duine Eile to be appointed and Duine Eile is happy to do so, then again, the committee has no power here. They must proceed and make that appointment.

Rules are rules and they may seem contrary, but the committee has to be answerable to the members and this is how that works out in practice.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sniper
Junior B

Post by Sniper »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:
I guarantee you Lone Shark that all who were present were allowed to vote. I would think it is rare that the list of paid up members is pulled out to verify who can or cant vote in many clubs.

Offaly 2012 wrote:
Not true in Rhodes Case
Whats not true in Rhodes case? That all present were allowed to vote or this will have an effect on the club? You are wrong on both counts.
Offaly 2012 wrote:
Your bit about the Players Square cab if you knew anything about the AGM would know by the crowd attended that from the most players at the agm voted against current manager and from talk the week before were not happy with current manager
I'm from Rhode and heard no such talk from any players in the lead up to this. Since Friday night Ive heard plenty of players talking. None of it complimentary towards the people in the clique that you are obviously in. It may have been common knowledge in the corner of one bar in the village that some mischeif was brewing but it certainly was not in the public domain.
Offaly 2012 wrote:
the other side could have said the same that attended the agm when gerry was put in.
Last years managerial contest was for a vacant position. Everyone in the club knew who was in the running. Its been said there was 150 at it, I may be wrong but I thought it was closer to 200.But anyway, some members came to vote for family or friend on both sides. The result was decided by those with no affection for either but who made their choice by who they felt would be the best manager for Rhode. Plain and simple. This was not the case this year. Nobody except the devious brigade was expecting this and some of those that came along to oust a decent man with a wonderful track record, wouldn't know the difference between a size 4 or size 5. I doubt they even realised the repercussions of what the were brought along to do. Im sure some of them are feel a bit embarrassed now though.
Chalky wrote:
There was an unwritten rule so to speak that the Rhode manager went unopposed at the AGM if he decided he wanted to continue in the role. This was the case for all managers whether they had won or not won that years championship.
It wasn't an unwritten rule Chalky. It was a thing called manners and respect for the guy who was devoting much of his spare time, free of charge to his own club. Sadly those two traits are missing from a few peoples characters.
Funny I never heard these guys complaining and trying to oust Gerry Hickey from the under 12s/schools teams over the last 30 or so years. Hang your heads in shame boyos.

offaly2012
Junior A

Post by offaly2012 »

well you must not have being out much

brian fantana
Intermediate
Club: rhode

Post by brian fantana »

Just on this subject, I seen the article in todays tullamore tribune and i was not aware kevin corrigan was in attendance at the rhode agm.He made some comments which included one which really p****ed me off, he said that there was a larger than usual turnout from senior players at the meeting, that is totally untrue, at last years agm there was way more players present. comments like this can really stir things up, hes obviously trying to say that the majority of senior players wanted gerrry out also untrue. comments like these will not help matters in Rhode, but i suppose thats the idea, alot of people in Offaly would like to see unrest in the home of the champions and maybe give other clubs a better chance at the dowling. on a side note gerry hickey was very hard done by here. he only lost 2 games out of 22 last year.

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

no i dont think i saw corrigan either,some chancer.