All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Indeed, look, Danny Owens is kicking himself this morning. Not alone with the difficulty of trying to replace Currams, but also grappling with the personal loss to the player himself. Tis mighty unfortunate, but just think its harsh to accuse them of stupidity. In one way I would say its a brave decision to play match like that. The lads get a game and a chance to sharpen the touch, also it allows the management to try a couple of different tactical ploys, subs who may be needed on the big day may get some game time. But then this happens? As a matter of fact, how did he sustain the injury does anyone know, a fall, or a wild pull?

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

Unfortunate, will have to work that little bit harder now, very hard to replace,was playing exceptional last few games.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Looking at the overall picture, a match against Kilkenny U21s prior to facing St Thomas's makes sense to me, on the basis of a similarity of styles to an extent.

A match against a Division 2 outfit wouldn't offer the same quality of opposition (we're talking Wicklow, Kildare, Westmeath, Leix here now). And they'd be fighting for places too. And there's more chance of a lad sledging like fook . . .

If anything, I'd have an issue with the timing of the match, but a broken arm sustained four weeks before the Final is still going to rule the chap out. What's the alternative? Wrap them in cotton wool, don't play any matches and train away. That'd be worse, they'd arrive in Croke Park without an ounce of sharpness. You pays your money, you takes your chances . . .

Remember K-K have had 5 weeks between the semi-final and the Final. Contrast that with 1998 when Birr had exactly half that time between the replayed semi-final and the Final.
Lone Shark wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: Any of the lads could go over on an ankle or a hamstring at any stage.
True. And if that's what happened, I'd agree with you that it was just unlucky. Neither am I saying that I've a huge problem with the idea of playing a match, though I certainly wouldn't advise it. However in a situation where your own team is settled, I'm not sure that there was a lot to gain. Either way, the choice of opponent was ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe I am in the minority, but based on the conversations I had about it yesterday, I doubt it. Put it another way, how many posters here, given the same scenario, would have arranged that match against the same opponents if they were in Danny Owens' shoes? Obviously the management team has done well up to this point and good people are capable of making bad decisions - but while I'm not doubting that these are good people, I can't for the life of me see how this wasn't a spectacularly bad decision.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A loss for K-K, but they have to look beyond this and get the heads right.
In a parallel dimension, a fit Currams could easily go out on St Patrick's Day and not get a puck of it and K-K still win.
It's not as if they have to take to the field 14 men now that Currams is injured.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In some situations, I like the "next man up" approach. If you've a deep panel, then by all means take your chances with injury and the added sharpness to the panel as a whole is of more value than the loss of one player, when the next man up is probably pretty good too. However when you don't have that level of depth, that's a high risk strategy.

The funny thing is that if Trevor Fletcher comes in, as I expect, I'd have no worries about him letting the side down whatsoever. Anytime I've watched KK this year Fletcher has been sharp, any ball that goes into him is either won or else it doesn't come out quickly, and he uses the ball well. The problem is that one of the main goal threats is gone, and now KK are also short a really good option on the bench, a player who would have the experience and the nous to kill the game in the latter stages, and the ability to exploit tired legs.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i don't think Trevor Fletcher will get the call up, i don't think he got a run in the semil final
mind you i think Danny only brough on defender Chris Guinan in portlaoise.

Fletcher could do a job and can score Mark Leonard is another. i said in the post yesterday
but i don't think Danny would gamble playing young Dylan Murray he could be K/K'S Walter Walsh in this final.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

With Currams out I would be inclined to try Ger Healion at full forward, i know he hasnt got the pace of Currams or the skill but he is a big man and he has some experience of playing in the forwards with Offaly. Conor Mahon needs a huge game again for K/K at centre forward , theres plenty of talent in the forward line to trouble St.Thomas. One last game is all K/K have to win and please god they can do it, the supporters bus heading up from Edenderry will be all the sweeter coming home if K/K win. Best of luck to the players, families and supporters from K/K and Offaly , give it everything you have and do us all proud.

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

kingscounty wrote:With Currams out I would be inclined to try Ger Healion at full forward, i know he hasnt got the pace of Currams or the skill but he is a big man and he has some experience of playing in the forwards with Offaly. Conor Mahon needs a huge game again for K/K at centre forward , theres plenty of talent in the forward line to trouble St.Thomas. One last game is all K/K have to win and please god they can do it, the supporters bus heading up from Edenderry will be all the sweeter coming home if K/K win. Best of luck to the players, families and supporters from K/K and Offaly , give it everything you have and do us all proud.
No way Full back is his best spot.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

K-K's defence is settled. I wouldn't go moving a full-back to fill a vacancy at full-forward. Not at this stage. Anyway, who'd hurl at full-back?

More important that the defence is settled. And they are. The goalkeeper and full-back line have developed an understanding now. To change that would be a recipe for disaster.

Have ye a bus going from Edenderry? Fair play to ye. Have a great day!
kingscounty wrote:With Currams out I would be inclined to try Ger Healion at full forward, i know he hasnt got the pace of Currams or the skill but he is a big man and he has some experience of playing in the forwards with Offaly. Conor Mahon needs a huge game again for K/K at centre forward , theres plenty of talent in the forward line to trouble St.Thomas. One last game is all K/K have to win and please god they can do it, the supporters bus heading up from Edenderry will be all the sweeter coming home if K/K win. Best of luck to the players, families and supporters from K/K and Offaly , give it everything you have and do us all proud.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:K-K's defence is settled. I wouldn't go moving a full-back to fill a vacancy at full-forward. Not at this stage. Anyway, who'd hurl at full-back?

More important that the defence is settled. And they are. The goalkeeper and full-back line have developed an understanding now. To change that would be a recipe for disaster.

Have ye a bus going from Edenderry? Fair play to ye. Have a great day!
There is a bus going indeed. Ye i agree fully who would fill the full back slot if one was moved and the back line have done their job all year . I just see Currams as a huge loss and hard shoes to fill but im sure Danny Owens will know this and plan around things like this happening.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Fair play to Edenderry great support and much appreciated I also hear 3 buses are leaving from Clonaslee in support of K-K another magnificent gesture from the O'Moore people.
Healion to full forward is an option on the table but will it be too radical?
James Gorman has the size to bother any fullback but would need lightening quick support around him. Conor Mahon has also operated at full-forward during the season. It may not be a full-forward per-se that needs replacing as there seems candidates to fill that role but the role Currams played was much more than just a target man as he created space with his runs and made their backs 'stress' all the time and nothing makes you burn energy more than 'stress' its self.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Ok Lads, Two Days to go.
I think we all know that they going to be One change to the Kilcormac Killoughey team and the loss of Dan is a blow, But Kilcormac Killoughey have being more than a one man team all year.
I think however plays full forward will know there job and that half the battle.

St. Thomas are an excellent team but they beatable. And I keep reading that there forwards are very fast. Well a Forward can be as fast as Usain Bolt but if he doesn't get the ball or get bad ball he can do nothing with it. put presure on there forward line and they miss a lot of chances.

Whichever team game plan gets imposed on the game, they will have the better chance of winning it. The game will be won in the Kilcormac Killoughey half forward line, that battle is the most important one.
Kilcormac Killoughey need to stop St. Thomas supplying there forwards. Kilcormac Killoughey stop, slow, hook and block in that part of the field it will be half the overall battle.
Kilcormac Killoughey will need to score around a total of 18-20 points to win this game.
They players might change but there game plan will be the same.

Kilcormac Killoughey will win by 4-5 points.
“Common sense is not so common.”

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I like the positivity of that forecast.

I would be extremely happy if K/K do it even by 1.

Best of luck lads.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good luck to K/K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Best of luck to Kilcormac/killoughy i realy hope they do it on Sunday.

I think both teams a evenly enough matched and i think i will come down to who handles the occasion better, both teams work on closing down the space and this will be harder done in Croke Park so there will be probably be a lot more 1 on 1 battles all over the field which might come down to better hurling team. I think K/K have become a better hurling team as a the season has progressesd so that why im going with K/K to win by 5 points.

Rock me KK like wagon wheel!!!!!!!!! :D