All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Saw those comments. It's bloody brilliant.

If Kilcormac's heads are right . . .

TS taking an early lead (of around 3 points or so) would be no bad thing either. That will serve to strengthen their complacency. Don't let them too far ahead, then strike once, hard and late in the game.
Bord na Mona man wrote:Over on Premierview there are a few lads expecting Thurles to totally shame K-K and put on an exhibition.
A couple of lads are urging caution - wind up merchants maybe. There are some who think a heavy pitch will be an inhibitor to the Sars and stop them from wearing out the scorekeeper. They are pining for a warm summer’s day where they can really show off, rather than just wanting to win.

You have to suspect that Thurles won't like it up ‘em if any of this chat or Lar’s comments are indicative. In Tipperary terms, Thurles are a club with a real inflated sense of their worth. K-K know they’ll be up against it, but there is a house of cards ready to be pulled down if they get within striking distance.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Hard one to call at the weekend, a couple of weeks ago I couldnt see K/K beating Sars especially after there performance against Offaly where they were very poor but the noises coming out of the K/k camp is that things have improved greatly since then.

In all of K/K matches to date the midfield and half forward line has dropped deep and kept goals out and there work rate lead to turn overs and grinding out results, dont get me wrong there fielding direct play and first touch was brillaint against Oulart but I am worried that with dropping deep Sars could hurt them with long range points something K/K havnt had to deal with yet.

However im in no doubt K/K will turn up on the day and they will put in a Performance like they have being delivering in there last 4 or 5 matches but will it be enough? I just dont know.

Hopefully with all the talk of Sars of being strong favourities a little bit of complacenty will creep in.

Lets hope K/K will be rocking the Wagon Wheel on Sat evening :D

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

onthefence wrote: -
Hard one to call at the weekend, a couple of weeks ago I couldnt see K/K beating Sars especially after there performance against Offaly where they were very poor but the noises coming out of the K/k camp is that things have improved greatly since then.
K-K have had a couple of challenge games but logically these must have been as welcome as a 'hole in the head' for example your getting milled and you want to let rip but your only 2-3 weeks away from an All-Ireland semi final :) Whats a man to do? Decisions, decisions.
Everyone seems nice and relaxed in the K-K camp as far as I can tell and whilst there is great respect for Thurles Sarsfield it will be all on the day.
We as supporters can't expect anything for, win or lose, these people are still our heroes and owe us nothing and as long as we let them know that, win or lose, on Saturday evening for the next generation will be watching us all very closely.
A contest to behold in O'Moore park on Saturday then where in 1975 I watched Clonaslee contest both Laois minor and senior hurling finals.
Clonaslee won the senior final, sadly their captain on the day, John O'Keeffe, passed away most recent.
Its reported that K-K flags have been seen hoisted in Clonaslee. A nice gesture of solidarity and indeed it is a long road!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Lar soundbites/idiotic quotes , and ye guys seem surprised?? Sure dint he win the Lotto last week, sure it had to be him, sur dunt he boy "The STARE" in Scanlons every day!
Jayz , really hope KK could do it on Saturday, I know a few Tipp lads and they are gas men, but the arrogance re hurling ,aaaaggghhh, knock the doooer down lads!

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

so you are saying K/K might as well stay at home that they won't be at the races
hope they don't have your faith
[/quote]
Just giving my honest opinion on what I think could happen I hope that i'm wrong.
I notice that while you are having a pop at my opinion you are not making any predictions yourself?

Best of luck to K/K on saturday!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

We've been through this debate before, with different teams. It is possible to hope for something and passionately wish it to happen with your heart, while still realising with your head that it's highly unlikely. Obviously in my line of work I have to be able to do that, and occasionally you are pleasantly surprised. However the simple truth is that nine times out of ten, when you believe a hiding is coming, it comes. That doesn't mean that the underdogs shouldn't show up, just that they are underdogs for a reason and they need to play well, get some luck, and hope that the favourites are below par.

I'm not saying I expect a hiding for KK tomorrow and I certainly hope it doesn't happen. I hope I get to Croke Park to shout on an Offaly club as well as St Brigids (the inlaws!) But if you ask me which is more likely - a KK win by any margin at all, or a Thurles win by ten or more, well then let's just say I'd prefer not to answer.

Logic would dictate that match ups like James Geraghty on David Kennedy, Conor Mahon on Padraig Maher, Pa Bourke on Ger Healion and Kilmartin against Gleeson are ones where on paper, Thurles should have a big advantage. KK have to break even in these and hope to get an edge elsewhere. Also, in the run up to the Oulart game, KK were flying in challenge matches. Now, they really aren't, quite the opposite. I know these are just challenge matches, but there's no way Danny Owens goes into these games hoping his lads will get hurled up a stick. There are real concerns there.

KK have a chance, as any team do. But even at the odds of 5/1, or with a six point head start, I'd be lying if I said I thought they were good value. Thurles are vulnerable and they aren't winning games by big margins up to now, so if KK can follow the template laid out by Plain of the Herbs above, they might pull off a shock.

To end on a note of unity - let's hope they do.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

puzzled wrote:so you are saying K/K might as well stay at home that they won't be at the races
hope they don't have your faith
Just giving my honest opinion on what I think could happen I hope that i'm wrong.
I notice that while you are having a pop at my opinion you are not making any predictions yourself?

Best of luck to K/K on saturday![/quote]

yes it will be hard for k/k to win but i don't think Sars will win in a canter like you think.
if k/k are still in the game with 10 minutes to go you never know.

i have went for k/k in all the games in the leinster club so far look back at my post on them games to see, so i won't be going again them this time k/k by 2 points.

will be no shame if they do lose to Thurles Sarsfields who are a top side.
and i will be watching them like i was in DR.Cullen park, Tullamore, and Nowlan park.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Lone Shark wrote:We've been through this debate before, with different teams. It is possible to hope for something and passionately wish it to happen with your heart, while still realising with your head that it's highly unlikely. Obviously in my line of work I have to be able to do that, and occasionally you are pleasantly surprised. However the simple truth is that nine times out of ten, when you believe a hiding is coming, it comes. That doesn't mean that the underdogs shouldn't show up, just that they are underdogs for a reason and they need to play well, get some luck, and hope that the favourites are below par.

I'm not saying I expect a hiding for KK tomorrow and I certainly hope it doesn't happen. I hope I get to Croke Park to shout on an Offaly club as well as St Brigids (the inlaws!) But if you ask me which is more likely - a KK win by any margin at all, or a Thurles win by ten or more, well then let's just say I'd prefer not to answer.

Logic would dictate that match ups like James Geraghty on David Kennedy, Conor Mahon on Padraig Maher, Pa Bourke on Ger Healion and Kilmartin against Gleeson are ones where on paper, Thurles should have a big advantage. KK have to break even in these and hope to get an edge elsewhere. Also, in the run up to the Oulart game, KK were flying in challenge matches. Now, they really aren't, quite the opposite. I know these are just challenge matches, but there's no way Danny Owens goes into these games hoping his lads will get hurled up a stick. There are real concerns there.

KK have a chance, as any team do. But even at the odds of 5/1, or with a six point head start, I'd be lying if I said I thought they were good value. Thurles are vulnerable and they aren't winning games by big margins up to now, so if KK can follow the template laid out by Plain of the Herbs above, they might pull off a shock.

To end on a note of unity - let's hope they do.
i watch the munster final, and i was not impressed by Thurles, DLS were a man down for 40 mins and lost 4 points. K/K have nothing to fear from Thurles. with the presure K/k will put on Thurles, I think that K/K will be in the Final on St. Patrick day. if Conor Mahon and the half forward line had slow the ball coming out of the Thurles defence the job will be 75% done.
“Common sense is not so common.”

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Best of luck to KK today. I genuinely believe they are in with a great shout.If they can match the intensity they brought to the table in the leinster final along with the same grit and determination they wont be far out. KK at 5/1 in a two horse race seems like great value and it will no doubt be a motivational tool for Danny Owens men. It also got me thinking that if Oulart won the leinster final what would the odds be ? A lot shorter in my opinion. So here we have the men who defeated them to get here and there been totally written off. This Thurles team aint as good as its been built up to be. I hope KK have a real good cut at it. The very best of luck.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Great win for K/K!!!!

The pressure was on and they pulled away.

Great victory.

Congratulations to all involved and all the followers!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Well done to kk today. They stood up again all over the field to their opponents a d were worthy winners.
It is great to see an offaly team back in another all Ireland club final, and hopefully they go all the way now.

PS who is going to deliver the humble pie to premierview?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Lar scoreless again.

the Tipp lads had no bottle
it shows that hard work will beat lazy talent everytime.
only the best...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

joe bloggs wrote: PS who is going to deliver the humble pie to premierview?
Funny, but no need I'd say.

The majority of Tipp supporters will probs serve it up themselves to those who require it.

Roll on K/K!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was down in Laois at a funeral and on the way back heard PJ Cunningham on Radio being asked about Ireland Rubgy teams winning and he gave a great answer "Yea, the Women, U 20 and THE HURLERS all won"

What a pleasant bit of news.

Brilliant Kilcormac/Killoughy, sure they had no chance against the aristocrats from Tipp !!! Yea Offaly hurlers have long since stopped fearing the aristocrats !!!! Roll on Paddies Day , again !!!!

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

and I disagree with the manfromdelmonte, talent & hardwork will beat talent and a high opinion of yourself !!!!!!

There will be plenty of that pie to be digested down the way.