Offaly GAA in Wales?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ron
All Star

Offaly GAA in Wales?

Post by Ron »

I happened to tune into Sportscall yesterday evening for a few minutes and they were talking about the Rugby and Des was talking to this guy from Wales about it.
When asked if he was coming over for the game on Sunday he replied that there would be too many South Wales people around but that he would instead be over for the Dublin Offaly league game Sat week because he's a big Offaly supporter.
Fair play to him!, I'd love to know how he came to be a supporter though? Anyone here know?

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

did you ever consider that he was from Offaly originally........................
Doon exile....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Most likely - I'll be doing the same - landing at Dublin Airport at 5.45, bus to Parnell park ..... Bring it on!!

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

he might well be from Offaly originally but he certainly had a strong Welsh accent and he never mentioned actually being from Offaly.

Anyway I hope its worth the journey for him, nothing like a game against the Dubs to get things going again after the Mayo match, and with all the "big" teams dropping points all the remaing games will be very competitive.

It'll be a great night out!

Bogman
All Star

Genuine Welshman!!!

Post by Bogman »

If it's the same guy who was on Sportscall a month or so ago he's a Welshman with no Offaly connections. He happened to go to a match in Croke Park, loved it and hooked up with some friendly Offaly people early on in his love affair with hurling and football.

He lives in or near Holyhead, comes over on the ferry and goes to the match from there. He's an Offaly fan now and God knows we need all the help we can get because our fan base is pretty small.