2012 Leinster Club Championships

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: 2012 Leinster Club Championships

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ahem . . .
townman wrote:looks like its Ballyhale in portlaoise half time Ballyhale 1-8 Oulart 0-5, they shouldn't lose that lead could they.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Howya Weisford,

The reddest of red herrings.
weisford wrote:Well herbs

So I would make KK favourites as only two Wexford clubs have ever won a leinster club title and the last one was by Rathnure in 1998

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

weisford wrote: So I would make KK favourites as only two Wexford clubs have ever won a leinster club title and the last one was by Rathnure in 1998
So you'll lay me an even money bet on Oulart winning the title then, yes?

Thought not.

As you well know, Oulart will be 2/7 or 1/3 to lift the trophy now, and they'll have to deal with that. No amount of spoofing on Discussion Boards will change that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

There's no question Oulart will go in as strong favourites. With that brings a certain amount of pressure which in the past they havnt always handled that well. The manner of there victory yesterday is likely to steel them up. KK are in a great position going into this one with there opponents in the spotlight . I feel there's a big performance in kilcormac killoughey they've reached the leinster final without hurling to there full potential which says a lot about the quality of there team. I can't see oulart taking them for granted they'll give them the respect they deserve especially after last year. The double k's are in with a great shout and hopefully they can do the business next Sunday.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ahem . . .
townman wrote:looks like its Ballyhale in portlaoise half time Ballyhale 1-8 Oulart 0-5, they shouldn't lose that lead could they.
you see that i did write could they and they did, :wink: roll on next sunday and it will be the doubles K'S big day in the sun,rain or snow
or what ever weather it is.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

On paper the advantage would lie with Oulart, but I wouldn't out a K-K ambush. Club is more unpredictable than county!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Bit of a surprise, but in fairness Oulart are a good tough side. But Henry going off, and TJ Reid missing would have been big factors.

However there are a number of things to take into account around this Leinster final: (many of them obvious factors!)

1) KK in their forst Leinster final, can they focus on the job in hand, or will the fact that they are not playing the Kilkenny champs unsettle them.
2) Oulart needing to refocus so quickly, (personally I think they will, they would have huge motivation from last year)
3) Can KK forwards get enough change out of the Oulart backline, (Coolderry's forward play was at a different level)
4) And to me this is the key, midfield, KK have struggled in this area, and from what I remember Oulart were very strong here, with David Redmond a fine hurler. If KK can work and improve this area they can gain an advantage.

But to call it now, personally I think Oulart will move hell and high water to win this, and whilst KK have performed well todate and got a great result in the semi, they may struggle with the intensity. A tight battle, with Oulart to pull away to win by 5 in the last 10 mins.

Crowd will be a big factor, Offaly teams tend to be very well supported in Leinster club finals, because of the novelty factor as people are looking for the chinks of light for the county scene,(no real relevance I know). But KK have a big local support, and if the surrounding areas get off their arses and cheer them on they will feed of this. Looking forward to this myself and I know there will be a good few from North Offaly going to shout them on.

Best of luck to the KK's.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Oulart had a woegeous start against Ballyhale, conceding 1-3 in the first five minutes. They will aim to have a blistering start the next day. I'd say the start will be the main focus of their preparations for Sunday.

weisford
Junior B

Post by weisford »

Lone Shark wrote:
weisford wrote: So I would make KK favourites as only two Wexford clubs have ever won a leinster club title and the last one was by Rathnure in 1998

Thought not.

As you well know, Oulart will be 2/7 or 1/3 to lift the trophy now, and they'll have to deal with that. No amount of spoofing on Discussion Boards will change that.

I was never inside a bookies offce in my life so I dont pretend to have much knowledge in their odds and terms and I dont understand how you place so much faith in those odds when you could have had the same the previous year and the result did not reflect the what the bookies foresaw.

Just a few facts to consider .

Last year Oulart beat James Stephens away in Nolan Park and were almighty favourites to beat a Coolderry playing in their first final.

This year it was Ballyhale who they beat at home and will face a Kilcormac side also in their first final

Ballyhale missing their two stars and Reid and Shefflin must also reflect on the oulart victory.

Oularts previous final defeats did not matter in 2011 .

So Oulart have the boast of a good win but still are very much on the same place as the previous year.

At best taking your comments on board lets then say this match is a 50 / 50 call to avoid having you say I am taking the p??? and it is clear that many contributors here see Kicormac having every chance on sunday.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I'd go along with you Weisford that this will be a 50/50 game. For me, a 50/50 game is one where I wouldn't be too surprised if either side won it by a few points. If I picked up the paper next Monday morning and read that KK had won, it wouldn't surprise me too much.

I've heard a bit in the national media that KK are first time Offaly winners and that this is a fairytail journey to the Leinster final. However, I think all of us know that it is not really that much a surprise. At the start of this year you would have put KK right up there with a chance to win Offaly. When they won it, you would also say that it was not exactly a major surprise that they beat the Carlow or Laois champions. Both those matches were around 50/50 too. Although, I would have been more surprised if they lost than won either game (which I suppose means that I made them slight favourites in my own mind).

Although KK have won their first title this year, it is not as if they came from nowhere to do it. they are one of the biggest hurling clubs in Offaly, good facilities, great underage system (well, if winning titles recently is anything to go by), talented players, experience on the big stage within the county.

So, while Oulart may be favourites because they have won X Wexford finals recently (and because they are a genuinely good team too), I feel that KK have a great chance on the weekend.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

weisford wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:

Thought not.

I was never inside a bookies offce in my life so I dont pretend to have much knowledge in their odds and terms and I dont understand how you place so much faith in those odds when you could have had the same the previous year and the result did not reflect the what the bookies foresaw.

Just a few facts to consider .

Last year Oulart beat James Stephens away in Nolan Park and were almighty favourites to beat a Coolderry playing in their first final.

This year it was Ballyhale who they beat at home and will face a Kilcormac side also in their first final

Ballyhale missing their two stars and Reid and Shefflin must also reflect on the oulart victory.

Oularts previous final defeats did not matter in 2011 .

So Oulart have the boast of a good win but still are very much on the same place as the previous year.

At best taking your comments on board lets then say this match is a 50 / 50 call to avoid having you say I am taking the p??? and it is clear that many contributors here see Kicormac having every chance on sunday.

Of course KK have chance - I'd be the first to say that they do, and I hope to God that they take it. However that is a 20% chance, or a 25% chance - not a 50/50, by any stretch of the imagination. KK come here on the back of deserved, but not comprehensive, wins over teams from Carlow and Laois. Oulart come on the back of deserved, albeit narrow, wins over Ballyhale and Kilmacud of Kilkenny and Dublin. Oulart have the experience and KK are not rated as highly as Coolderry were last season. Oulart have learned their lesson last year not to believe that the title is already won - which is a huge part of the battle.

I'll tell you what - and this time I won't answer for you - will you lay me Oulart at even money, and you can have the draw on your side? If this match is 50/50, as you say, that's a fantastic deal for you.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

He thinks it is 50/50, you think it is 75/25. Both of you have made points to back up your stance on the issue. I don't think he has to put money down to further substantiate his views or prove some point that he stands over his beliefs more than you stand over yours.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

llkj wrote:He thinks it is 50/50, you think it is 75/25. Both of you have made points to back up your stance on the issue. I don't think he has to put money down to further substantiate his views or prove some point that he stands over his beliefs more than you stand over yours.
Perhaps.In fairness he could be genuine, but 90% of these posts online are like comments from managers in the run up to any game - trying to talk down their own team and talk up the opposition, without genuinely believing what they say. After what happened last year, I fully expect this from Wexford people.

Weisford may be the exception, but you can understand my cynicism.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

After what happened last year, I fully expect this from Wexford people.
LS adding Wexford to his list of no-go areas! :D

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

llkj wrote:
After what happened last year, I fully expect this from Wexford people.
LS adding Wexford to his list of no-go areas! :D
Never enjoyed going there anyway. Not since going to Curracloe with the Scouts in National School.