2012 Leinster Club Championships

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2012 Leinster Club Championships

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to k/k in the final , be great to see a good crowd from Offaly not just k/k go down and support them. Big test ahead but k/k are in with a great chance.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hmmm!

Oulart’s attitude appears to be fairly spot-on. They’re certainly going to be more focussed than last year – not that that’d be difficult – where their heads were last year was quite shocking.

Last year has left an indelible mark on Oulart though, and it is something that is mentioned in every media utterance. T’was a sort of a ‘Black Sunday’ for them. First impressions are that it should drive them on. Yet, there’s also the possibility that Oulart will go out to hurl Coolderry in last year’s Leinster Final all over again. We in Offaly know that Coolderry are not K-K, nor are K-K a Coolderry. We’ll let the Wexicans work that out for themselves.

Nor have Oulart remained unchanged. They have undergone quite a few changes of personnel and position. The most radical is the moving of Paul Roche from corner-back last year (hurled in Damien Murray’s corner) to centre half-forward. This was done in the county Final in a bid stop a rampant Richie Kehoe, and he has remained in that place since. Two young players have also been promoted. Will Lar Prendergast start? Prendergast had a good first half against Coolderry last year from left half-back, had been out of action through injury and is slowly returning to full fitness. He was a first half sub against Ballyhale last week. My guess is that he will start.

One thing that struck me watching the highlights of Oulart’s win over Ballyhale was how much loose, breaking ball was there to be won. That’s rare in modern hurling. Oulart are more like an Offaly team in that they don’t feature a team of ball-winners. If that trend continues, and it should, control of the match will be dictated by the hungrier side, by the team who are going to die with their boots on in quest of possession. We’ll know after 10 minutes who the hungrier side are. It’ll be passion, not tactics on Sunday.

Nowlan Park is a relatively dry pitch. No rain is promised between now and Sunday and so there need be no fears about muck. It’ll be all about the breaking ball. A day for “who wants it the most?” Up Killoughey, and the sky above it, as they say in those parts.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Yes indeed, Up Kilcormac-Killoughey,
I know they will do themselves and us all proud.
"Up Offaly" as they say in all parts!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

best of luck to k-k on sunday will be there please god to give them a shout, if they put in a good 60 minutes i think
they will win by 2 points, Oularts 3rd final in a row no pressure on KK if they can stay with them, KK are good for a finish
as we have seen during the year.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Well done K/K.Some achievemnt by them to win Leinster at the first go.Who do they play in the semi?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Brilliant K/K

Congratulations to all

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

DAF wrote:Well done K/K.Some achievemnt by them to win Leinster at the first go.Who do they play in the semi?
They are playing Thurles Sars.

Lar Corbett is picking up Peter Healion in a man marking role.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

:lol: :lol: :lol:
llkj wrote:Lar Corbett is picking up Peter Healion in a man marking role.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Brilliant K-K. A big and sincere well done to everyone involved. Absolutely brilliant.

You just know an Offaly team is up for it when a big, early block goes in. That it resulted in a goal was sweet.

K-K 's catching of a wet ball was superb. Did Oulart catch a ball all day?

I didn't get to make the trip to Kilkenny today but I want to mention one man. Gerry Russell is oft-criticised here and elsewhere (and by me as well), but today he was mighty. From start to finish it sounded like he was describling the D-day landing such was the energy he gave it. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Club All-Ireland and found his to be most pleasant. Good man, Gerry.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Brilliant K-K. A big and sincere well done to everyone involved. Absolutely brilliant.

You just know an Offaly team is up for it when a big, early block goes in. That it resulted in a goal was sweet.

K-K 's catching of a wet ball was superb. Did Oulart catch a ball all day?

I didn't get to make the trip to Kilkenny today but I want to mention one man. Gerry Russell is oft-criticised here and elsewhere (and by me as well), but today he was mighty. From start to finish it sounded like he was describling the D-day landing such was the energy he gave it. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Club All-Ireland and found his to be most pleasant. Good man, Gerry.
A mighty mighty display by Gerry today.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

great win for K-K today in lousy conditions in Nolan Pk. it was well worth the trip, bad and all as the conditions were a great match was served up.

i was happy that ballyhale were bet as oulart are a bit flaky and so it turned out. it also meant dat the K-K boys didnt have to bring their prayer mats in dere kitbags for whne king henry came out :D also great to see offaly supporters shoutin for KK and it to be offalymen for a change :lol:

happy days, de clubs seem to be showin a bit of pride where de county teams aint. any chance of stickin 10 of the K-K lads on the senior panel

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Proud times for us all, Offaly and Kilcormac-Killoughey.
"The Commentator" has Killoughey blood surely! Wasn't his mother a Malone from the 'Cross of Killoughey' ?
Think Gerry also has an uncle/cousin Joe Russell who served as PRO for Hertfordshire County Board for years here in the UK, a fabulous Gael!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to K-K. A great day for the club. I'm sure they went through a lot of torment in recent times when they couldn't convert underage success into senior county titles.
A good day for Offaly hurling too. I predicted that when Coolderry won Leinster last year, it would be a tide to lift several other boats in Offaly club hurling.
The penny dropped that our top 3 or 4 club teams are well up there with the standard bearers on the national club scene. The pessimism and defeatism about where we stand in relation to other counties lifted a little and now we are seeing the pay off.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Club hurling is alive and well in Offaly. K/K did themselves and Offaly proud today. Im not from K/K but i was so proud to be an Offaly man today. Some out standing displays today Grogan at half back was excellent, Kilmartin worked hard at midfield,Mahon played his best game ive seen him play in a long time. James Gorman took some nice points , Currams was on fire until he got a bad knock in first half but in the second half he stepped up again and delivered. K/K played very well today as a team and i thought they moved well with some good ground hurling at times keeping the ball moving and not giving the wexford men much time on the ball. The only worry i would have for the next day would be Ger Healion at full back, alot of high ball was hit in on top of him in the second half and he looked very shaky at times and but for the goal keeper who made some great saves the game could have turned, but theres plenty of time till the next game to sort things out. Wonderful day for K/K , wonderful day for Offaly, congrats to all and very well done.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well done k-k great win glad to see you come on board with Birr, St. Rynaghs,Coolderry, on been leinster winners
i thought the two Grogans were outstanding today to think that both didn't play in the county final shows how strong
the squad is.

Daniel Currams showed his class today even doe he only got to hurl 40 minutes also Peter Geraghty came of age today
James Gorman scorer some nice points, Brian Leonards point was the score of the game in the second half it broke oularts hearts
when it landed over Ben o'Connors crossbar.

enjoy your night kk great day for yourselfs and offaly hurling. :D