2012 Leinster Club Championships

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
lusmagh
Junior B

2012 Leinster Club Championships

Post by lusmagh »

With the last of the adult county finals due to be wrapped on Sunday with the Junior A and B hurling deciders, attention will soon switch to the provincial club championships. We make just our second ever venture onto this stage when we host Clonguish of Longford in the first round of the Leinster JHC on Sunday at 3pm. Things have long since settled down after the hysteria of our IHC win and, with training continuing in full swing, we're very much looking forward to it. Come along for a look if you get a chance!

Best of luck also to St Brigids, who line out in the first round game at the same time in Croghan.

kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2012 Leinster Club Championships

Post by kingscounty »

lusmagh wrote:With the last of the adult county finals due to be wrapped on Sunday with the Junior A and B hurling deciders, attention will soon switch to the provincial club championships. We make just our second ever venture onto this stage when we host Clonguish of Longford in the first round of the Leinster JHC on Sunday at 3pm. Things have long since settled down after the hysteria of our IHC win and, with training continuing in full swing, we're very much looking forward to it. Come along for a look if you get a chance!

Best of luck also to St Brigids, who line out in the first round game at the same time in Croghan.
Best of luck to all offaly teams in leinster, its very special to represent your county . Over the past few years our hurling teams in senior and junior have done well in leinster, coolderry winning last year,birrs record speaks for itself, killurin winning the leinster special, edenderry losing in the final a few years back. It would be great to see lusmagh have a good run in leinster , best of luck and enjoy because it only comes around once in a blue moon so give it timber

classof81
Junior B
Club: rhode

Post by classof81 »

edenderry beat in final?noooooo u mean rhode,3 times in final in last 6,7 years

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

classof81 wrote:edenderry beat in final?noooooo u mean rhode,3 times in final in last 6,7 years
Edenderry Hurlers

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

summerindublin wrote:
classof81 wrote:edenderry beat in final?noooooo u mean rhode,3 times in final in last 6,7 years
Edenderry Hurlers
spot on summerin, some people just dont read things right. :roll:

cantona
Junior C
Club: drumcullen

Post by cantona »

drumcullen were beaten in leinster junior final as well

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Lusmagh 4-21 Clonguish Gaels 0-11

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Lusmagh wasted no time getting their Leinster campaign underway. Clonguish won the toss and hurled with the wind. Austen Lynch got the first goal after just 16 seconds. Three further goals in six minutes midway through the half gave lusmagh a 4-6 to 0-4 lead after 19 minutes. Aidan Hanrahan (whose Dad actually comes from Clonguish) scored the second, midfielder Eoin Quinlan the third and Austen Lynch the fourth. The lead became 4-11 to 0-7 at half time. The highlight was a pointed line-ball by Clonguish's top man Joe O'Brien shortly before half time.

With the result beyond doubt Lusmagh put the five subs on and the match fizzled out. The referee was Kevin Brady from Louth who handled the game well and got most calls correct. I'd seen him referee the Offaly v Meath Minor hurling match in Tullamore earlier this year and was equally pleased with his handling. Keep an eye out for him in the future.

Attention now turns to the KIlkenny Junior championship where Thomastown beat Lisdowney 2-14 to 0-16 and Bennettsbridge beat O'Loughlin Gaels 0-17 to 2-8 in the semi-finals today. They play the Final on Sunday 4th November. The winner visits Lusmagh a week later. John Joe Farrell (Thomastown) was sent off on a straight red after 44 minutes!

Elsewhere in the first round of the Leinster Junior, Maynooth beat St Sylvester's 0-11 to 0-9 having trailed 0-5 to 0-7 at half-time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So is it Killavilla or Edendery who are going to Dublin to face Clan na Gael - Fontenoy this Sunday? KIllavilla notes say it's them, and they've a bus travelling. Fixtures on the Leinster GAA site and published yesterday, and on the Offaly Express site says it's Edenderry.

I know a play-off was fixed between Killavilla and Edenderry and wasn't played. My understanding was that Killavilla received a walkover.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:So is it Killavilla or Edendery who are going to Dublin to face Clan na Gael - Fontenoy this Sunday? KIllavilla notes say it's them, and they've a bus travelling. Fixtures on the Leinster GAA site and published yesterday, and on the Offaly Express site says it's Edenderry.

I know a play-off was fixed between Killavilla and Edenderry and wasn't played. My understanding was that Killavilla received a walkover.
Leinster council fixtures email has just come in there now, confirming that it's Killavilla who take part in this competition. Throw in at 1pm Sunday at O'Toole Park.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Just like John Delaney wanting Ireland to be the 33rd team in the 2012 World Cup, the 3 teams should play each other at the same time.
Use just one set of goal posts and play '3 and in'.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

[quote=Use just one set of goal posts and play '3 and in'.[/quote]

Where I came from we called that "World Cup". Many a long summer evening did we play World Cup with my Italia 90 branded ball. Alway the same lad used to come last. I think his name was High School Musical but its so long ago I'm not quiet sure.

There was an alternate version called Wembley where all scores had to come from a volley or header. Any breach of these rules meant a stint in the goals until someone else made a guffaw.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Fargo Boyle wrote: Where I came from we called that "World Cup". Many a long summer evening did we play World Cup with my Italia 90 branded ball. Alway the same lad used to come last. I think his name was High School Musical but its so long ago I'm not quiet sure.

There was an alternate version called Wembley where all scores had to come from a volley or header. Any breach of these rules meant a stint in the goals until someone else made a guffaw.
Ah yes, ‘World Cup’ and ‘Wembley’ (or ‘On-the-Volley’ in some parts).
2 of my favourite 3 games as a child, along with Stickball.

And you’re right Fargo, I wasn’t particularly good at World Cup. My loyalties, however, lay at home and I was always more of a Club before country man……….so ya can go stick your Argentina & Cameroon up your hole!
You wouldn’t have beaten me at Charades though, no way. Fact!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Tough game for Rhode coming up this weekend.

St Pat's of Louth have been very strong over the last decade. Think they have won 5 of 10 Louth championships. A friend is playing with them and was in O' Connor park at the Offaly county final with a number of other Pats players and management. They have done their home work.

They pushed Portlaoise to extra time last year before losing by a point at O' Moore park. A very strong team that Rhode will have to be at their absolute best to get over. Dessie Finnegan will probably pick up Niall, while Paddy Keenan as we all know is one of the finest midfielders in the game. Tracking his runs and stopping him will be very important. Ray Finnegan will push forward from half back to good effect if Pats get on top in midfield so Rhode really need to get a grip on this sector.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

I agree, this will be a tough test for the Rhode men but playing in Tullamore will be a big advantage to them.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think Rhode will win by 3 to 5 points, should be a good game as pats aren't a bad side ran portlaoise close last year
Rhode have a few young players in this year plus they have a good bench with players who can come on and win a game
best of luck to Rhode on sunday.