PROGRESS!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

PROGRESS!!

Post by Truth as i see it »

You know for all the crap that i give to the county board on this forum its nice to see some form of progress on the coaching and games front with this workshop next week

Its an oasis in a desert of stale mindsets but fair play to them and Alan Mulhall this is in my opinion exactly what we need.

Just wish they'd do it more often

Great to see the new manager involved as well

Great way for him to network around the county

This is taken from the county website

With the business end of the championships upon us and the Post Primary schools competitions beginning again, we will be running the following 90 minute workshop on attacking play and the best practice for coaching the games based approach to attacking play next Wednesday evening in O'Connor Park.

We invite all coaches from u14 to minor to adult to post primary coaches to attend in the hope of gaining some valuable knowledge to give your team the advantage and display the benefits of the Game Based Approach to Coaching. This approach follows the belief of setting up training sessions to mimic what happens in matches, so that players can make the correct decisions when faced with a similar scenario in a big game.

Please read the following and do not hesitate to contact me with any queries.

Offaly Coaching & Games Development
Will be holding a

GAMES BASED APPROACH TO COACHING WORKSHOP
FOCUSING ON ATTACKING PLAY
FOR FOOTBALL
In O’Connor Park
Wednesday 5th of September
At 6pm

This workshop will focus on how to structure your training session to improve:
-Taking the correct scoring option
-Creating space for forward play
-Creating goal scoring opportunities

and will consist of:
An explanation of the Games Based Approach to Coaching and how to put this into practice with Sean Dempsey, Laois All Ireland Minor Football winning manager.
A brief explanation of how new Offaly Senior Football manager and St Marys Edenderry All Ireland Colleges "A" winning coach Emmett McDonnell believes in and uses the Games Based Approach in his coaching session
Video examples of what is best practice in Attacking Play and key points to be observing to transfer to your training sessions to improve decision making in your players
Sean Dempsey will then talk you through a practical coaching session with a group of teenagers run by Offaly C & G Manager Alan Mulhall and members of Offaly Football Development Squad managements.

This workshop is suitable for coaches of teenagers and adults as Sean will be explaining the progressions and adaptations that can be made to each game to make it suitable for all ages.

jimbob17
All Star

Re: PROGRESS!!

Post by jimbob17 »

Good to see some progressive thinking at long last. Maybe somebody in the hierarchy is keeping tabs on this board after all. Will definitely head in for a look if ive time...
jimbob

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Truth as i see it wrote:You know for all the crap that i give to the county board on this forum its nice to see some form of progress on the coaching and games front with this workshop next week

Its an oasis in a desert of stale mindsets but fair play to them and Alan Mulhall this is in my opinion exactly what we need.

Just wish they'd do it more often

Great to see the new manager involved as well

Great way for him to network around the county

This is taken from the county website

With the business end of the championships upon us and the Post Primary schools competitions beginning again, we will be running the following 90 minute workshop on attacking play and the best practice for coaching the games based approach to attacking play next Wednesday evening in O'Connor Park.

We invite all coaches from u14 to minor to adult to post primary coaches to attend in the hope of gaining some valuable knowledge to give your team the advantage and display the benefits of the Game Based Approach to Coaching. This approach follows the belief of setting up training sessions to mimic what happens in matches, so that players can make the correct decisions when faced with a similar scenario in a big game.

Please read the following and do not hesitate to contact me with any queries.

Offaly Coaching & Games Development
Will be holding a

GAMES BASED APPROACH TO COACHING WORKSHOP
FOCUSING ON ATTACKING PLAY
FOR FOOTBALL
In O’Connor Park
Wednesday 5th of September
At 6pm

This workshop will focus on how to structure your training session to improve:
-Taking the correct scoring option
-Creating space for forward play
-Creating goal scoring opportunities

and will consist of:
An explanation of the Games Based Approach to Coaching and how to put this into practice with Sean Dempsey, Laois All Ireland Minor Football winning manager.
A brief explanation of how new Offaly Senior Football manager and St Marys Edenderry All Ireland Colleges "A" winning coach Emmett McDonnell believes in and uses the Games Based Approach in his coaching session
Video examples of what is best practice in Attacking Play and key points to be observing to transfer to your training sessions to improve decision making in your players
Sean Dempsey will then talk you through a practical coaching session with a group of teenagers run by Offaly C & G Manager Alan Mulhall and members of Offaly Football Development Squad managements.

This workshop is suitable for coaches of teenagers and adults as Sean will be explaining the progressions and adaptations that can be made to each game to make it suitable for all ages.
they have also had one of theses earlier in the year for hurling coaches.
It is vital that club coaches make every effort to get to these workshops
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I take it you are involved in coaching this age group Jimbob? "Will head in if i have time!!!" What sort of atitude is that? Make time if you are involved.... Christ above, if you are not involved, why bother?

Yes, we are really suckin diesel in offaly if Alan spends his time on this website, sure what would he know about games development, bar listening to us experts!!??

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Yes Sir, ill be there if i can Ahlethimoutwithit. Got to be somewhere for eight though if thats ok with you?? you might make an appearance yourself?? Think it is a great idea though and should happen more regularly. Think Alan would have a good idea of what is needed to be fair and wouldnt need much help from any so called "experts" on this site but getting support from the top about following through on good ideas that might cost a few quid might be his biggest stumbling block.....
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

So again Jimbob, I presume you are involved with coaching Post primary kids? And yes i will be there as I am involved. From your initial post it seems like you might have decided "Ah sure I'll go and see whats goin on and sure its great that Alan is listening to my views". Your reply does not clear up the first question as to your involvement?

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Another good news story over the weekend being that the new Offaly manager, McDonnell, and his selectors organised player meetings on Sunday last for next year. I would safely say this is the earliest preparations for the following season started and it is very pleasing to see. I don't have any details at hand regarding what was discussed at the meeting. Perhaps someone could enlighten us? McDonnell is very much hitting the ground running and hopefully players all around the county buy into his ethos.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Lean Times wrote:Another good news story over the weekend being that the new Offaly manager, McDonnell, and his selectors organised player meetings on Sunday last for next year.
think that was u21s and minors from last year??

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Good to see Mcdonell in contact with players and getting the show moving for next year. Ollie baker has just been raified for a second year and is to add a selector after the departure of Paudge. Is Ollie baker going to follow in similar footsteps to Mcdonell and get the ball rolling with the senior hurling panel? hopefully he will get to run a few trials before the sod gets heavy. Theres pleanty of scrope for trials with the senior championship down to the last four and only one first team club left in the intermediate championship.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Useful enough exercise last night.
Basically shifting the emphasis from drills to a more games based approach. Carried out by Alan Mulhall & sean Dempsey, with Alan demonstrating on the pitch with a group of u13s and Sean explaining the insights to the coaches in the stand.
Some good stuff there and Emmet McDonnell gave an introductory speech at the start as to how they have used this as part of their approach to football training in St Marys.

Basically you are trying to make guys appriecate running off the ball, giving the ball to the right man in the right position, and shooting from the right position and using the space.
I think the key to this is that you need to put more thought into the sessions, what are you trying to improve and how can you do this that involves more football as part of the session in order to make ot more enjoyable for the kids.
You can continually adapt these games to provide variety for the kids.

Any of ye there?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Useful enough exercise last night.
Basically shifting the emphasis from drills to a more games based approach. Carried out by Alan Mulhall & sean Dempsey, with Alan demonstrating on the pitch with a group of u13s and Sean explaining the insights to the coaches in the stand.
Some good stuff there and Emmet McDonnell gave an introductory speech at the start as to how they have used this as part of their approach to football training in St Marys.

Basically you are trying to make guys appriecate running off the ball, giving the ball to the right man in the right position, and shooting from the right position and using the space.
I think the key to this is that you need to put more thought into the sessions, what are you trying to improve and how can you do this that involves more football as part of the session in order to make ot more enjoyable for the kids.
Sounds positive. Good to hear.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Useful enough exercise last night.

Sounds positive. Good to hear.
Yep, I went in. Thought it was excellent. Well run, organised well and flowed well from start to finish with plenty of opportunity for questions. While there wasnt a massive amount that one might say was totally new, or that was never seen or done before, it was the reasoning behind running sessions in a game oriented manner that was the main theme of the night. This forces players to be thinking players and puts practice and training in a game context where players can improve decision making and tactical awareness skills along with playing skills. Thought that McDonnell spoke well too at the start and he was there till the end of the evening too. Thre was a good number of people there (maybe 50 or 60) but a lot more would have got a bit out of it if they had gone. Probably could have been publicised more as i wouldnt have known about it only for this site as the club sec struggles to turn on the computer at the best of times!!!
jimbob