Junior Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Re: Junior Hurling Championship

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Have to agree that is wrong that the Junior finals are only going ahead today. It is 5 weeks since the semi-finals. The finals definitely could have gone ahead earlier than 21st October.

Junior B Final first. Playing with Kinnitty, we've come across both teams this year. Raheen had a big win over us in the group stages of the championship and Shamrocks had a 2pt win over us in the semi-final. Those results would suggest an easy win for Raheen tomorrow, but not necessarily. We were missing a few players against Raheen, we had improved a lot by semis and Shamrocks also underestimated us and we caught them a little on the hop. Raheen have 2 standout players in the forwards Paddy Rigney and their full forward (don't know his name.) If Shamrocks can hold these 2 players they have a great chance. Shamrocks full back was sent off on a straight red with our full forward in the semi- I don't know if he is still suspended as 4 weeks have elapsed, but does the match ban rule still apply? Shamrocks have a few ex senior players like Mark Yeates who was very clever in winning frees and in general play against us. Raheen are favourites and deserve to be-however if they underestimate Shamrocks in any way at all-they will be in trouble. Shamrocks also have the experience of losing last year's final to Coolderry after a replay. RAHEEN TO WIN BUT NOT BY MUCH.

Funnily enough in the Junioer A cham[pionship Kinnitty's Junior A team played against both Balinamere and Shinrone in the group stages of the championship. Unfortunately I missed both games so haven't seen either team play. Again I think it will be a close encounter. However it is a nice morning so should br a dry day and this should suit Shinrone's young players.I know the pitch will still be fairly wet from all the recent rain but the dry day will help Shinrone pick and move the ball quickly. Shinrone have a few very skillful minor players who are on this team and if these lads can play to their potential then Shinrone should win. I know Balinamere won it a few years ago but I don't think this team as a strong as that team. Balinamere are usually very determined and give it their all so if it is very tight with 10 mins to go they could have the experience to do it. However I think Shinrone will manage to build a bit of a lead during the 2nd half and that will be enough to see them win the Junior A again.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Shinrone 1-14 Ballinamere 1-07 . The two teams looked nervous at the start and it took a while for the first score to come an excellent point from Shinrone corner forward Derek Mcloughlin. Ballinamere on the day lacked good scoring fowards and had only 2 points on the board for the whole first half. Shirone scored some great long range points with the wind in the first half Conor Doughan was accurate from placed balls to and Shinrone went in 0-08 to 0-02 at half time. Ballinamere had a bit more fight in the second half and at one stage cut the lead to 3 points. Shinrone never let it get any closer and took control in the last 10 mins with some fine scores from distance. Shinrone played well as a team , David Ormond making two vital saves in the second half, John Bevans stood strong at centre back,Conor Doughan played well at midfield , Naill Cleary caught some savage ball and created alot of shinrones scores, Derek Mcloughlin and Barry Mcnamara took their scores well. Ballinameres backline held their ground for as long as they could with David Gillespie doing well at full back, Ronan Lally was their best player he ran his heart out and never gave up. On the day Shinrone were younger, fitter and managed well tackling in numbers ,moving the ball quick and supporting each other playing and winning as a team. Ballinamere were let down by not having scoring forwards , their subs battled hard when they came on but for me Shinrone were worthy 7 point winners.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Junior A Final Shinrone 1-14 Ballinamere 1-7
Junior B Final Shamrocks 2-10 Raheen 2-7
Division 1 League Final Kilcormac/Killoughey 3-12 Seir Kieran 0-20
Leinster Junior Hurling Championship Lusmagh 4-21 Clonguish Gaels (Longford) 0-11

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Shinrone 1-14 Ballinamere 1-07
This was a decent game which in truth Shinrone should have won easily. They won the toss and decided to play with a strong wind in the first half. They looked like scoring with every attack and were it not for some poor shooting would have been more than 6 points up at half-time. Ballinamere started the second half well and scored 3 points to bring the deficit back to just 3. Shinrone showed some character amd never let it get any closer. Substitute Adrian Cleary got the goal which put the result beyond doubt. Ballinamere did pull a goal back from the penalty spot but it was too little too late. The Shinrone backline were immense throughout. David Ormond made a few spectacular saves in the second half. Daniel Doughan had an exceptional game at corner-back and John Bevans was a tower of strength at centre-back. The midfield pairing of Conor Doughan and Michael Whyte were always on top at midfield. Barry McNamara had a great game at wing-forward scoring 3 points. Niall Cleary got through a lot of work at wing/centre forward and made some outstanding catches in the second half. Derek McLoughlin looked dangerous every time he got the ball and Ray Cordial cuased the full-back line a lot of problems in the second half. The substitutes also had an impact, with Adrian Cleary grabbing the goal and Darragh Cleary also got on a lot of ball when he came on. Shinrone really needed this win, having lost the U-16 and Minor finals in recent weeks. They will go intermediate now and won't fear anyone, having also got to the semi-final of the Division 2 league.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Well I certainly got my predictions wrong for these games.

I had fancied Raheen to win easily based on their big wins in most games on route to the final and it being their only team. However Shamrocks were impressive and despite nearly throwing it away by conceding two soft goals in a couple of minutes they recovered well and finished very determined and were deserving winners. A good tough physical game.

In the other game I thought Ballinameres experience might see them sneak it but everybody has said this was a very talented Shinrone team and alot of them will surely play Senior very soon. Very promising for Shinrone who were very close to making a senior county final.
Shinrone were far the better team but had goalkeeper David Ormonde to thank for a few dodgy moments in their backline that could have changed the game.
The game itself lacked a bit of bite and the hurling itself was dogged enough. The fact Shinrone built the early lead and kept a distance meant that the game never really ignited. The future is very bright in Shinrone. Big expectations for the coming years.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if the Junior Finals were video'd on Sunday?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

keenonsport wrote:Out of curiosity, does anybody know if the Junior Finals were video'd on Sunday?
i was on the hospital side and i walked by a tripod on the steps , it looked like someone had taped the first game or they were getting ready to do the second game so im sure theres a video out there some where.