Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Away to Cork for the 2nd year in a row. It's amazing how these draws always seem to conspire against us.

Last week we were first out of the hat in the football draw, but had to give up home advantage because Tipp had played their Qualifier away last year. No such clause this time around.

3 of our 4 hurling Qualifiers against Cork have been in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Would Frank Murphy allow Cork to be always shafted like this?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

Post by bracknaghboy »

You're right BNM man, its rubbish that we have to travel again. Is there no home and away agreement here? I'd be worried about this one. Cork forwards look far too hot to handle for our back line. That said we "don't fear" Cork and as seen last year we should have won. Cork look a different animal this year, they are rightly refreshed. We won't be winning in my opinion.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

We're in a poor position to argue, now that the draw is made.
I'm just annoyed at the random nature of these rulings and how Offaly always seem to come off the worst out of them.
It was glaring before the draw that Offaly shouldn't have to travel to Cork for the 3rd time in 5 years.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Just the draw I wanted.

Steps are playing in The Marquee on Friday the 6th, so it looks like I'll be making a long weekend of it.

Tragedy......not a bit of it!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Folks,

Ye didn't think the nation's darlings (ie the Munster hurling teams) would be drawn AWAY to the Leinster teams, now?

I thought Munster hurling let itself down again yesterday, as it always seems to do. Lads walloping before the ball was thrown in. Never mind the ball, get on with the game! If they were goats they'd be pucking each other with their horns locked. Oh the glory of it.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

jesus christ - away to Cork again.

County board - sort it out - this is the kind of thing we need to have a fair crack of the whip - how can we keep getting drawn away to superior opposition and just accept it all the time.

Hard task - Cork looked fresh fit and fast yesterday - we would be well off that pace. Lets make a fewpositional changes , get our spine of team better laid out and play with abandon, nothing to lose now.

please work on gathering ball into hand and holding on to possession between now and game please.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Considering Offaly should have beaten us down here last year I assumed you would be pretty happy with this draw?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Turenne wrote:Considering Offaly should have beaten us down here last year I assumed you would be pretty happy with this draw?
we are as happy about it as ye were after the league final this year again kilkenny :D

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

After the senior club games at the weekend, the Offaly midfield partnership must be Del Morkan and Rory Hanniffy. Both were outstanding.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Turenne wrote:Considering Offaly should have beaten us down here last year I assumed you would be pretty happy with this draw?
If the game was in Tullamore we'd have a better chance.

Last year Cork were dismantled by Galway straight after the Offaly win, which suggests they weren't up to much.
The indications are that Cork have improved this year, whereas Offaly are on a downer.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

On the evidence of the weekend's hurling, midfield should be Alan Lynam and David Cox.
Sharp Eye wrote:After the senior club games at the weekend, the Offaly midfield partnership must be Del Morkan and Rory Hanniffy. Both were outstanding.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

townman wrote:
we are as happy about it as ye were after the league final this year again kilkenny :D
...this post makes no sense whatsoever. Did you not out play us last year? How radically could things have changed in the months in between? Its practically the same Cork team.

BTW I find it a bit sad to see Offaly lads using the victories of Kilkenny, who are supposed to be their most bitter of rivals, in an attempt to one up fans of other counties. Living off the glories of other counties isn't right, the Wexford lads seem to do it as well for some reason. :|

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Offaly Camogie are due to travel to play Cork the same day. Possibility of a double-header? tipperary play Clare this SAturday in Thurles before the football.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Turenne wrote:
townman wrote:
...this post makes no sense whatsoever. Did you not out play us last year? How radically could things have changed in the months in between? Its practically the same Cork team.

BTW I find it a bit sad to see Offaly lads using the victories of Kilkenny, who are supposed to be their most bitter of rivals, in an attempt to one up fans of other counties. Living off the glories of other counties isn't right, the Wexford lads seem to do it as well for some reason. :|
what i said is we are as happy about going to cork for the second year in a row as cork fans were after bthe league final or yesterday thats not happy.

anyway its a joke offaly have to go to cork again by right the game should be in tullamore, if cork had to go to lets say nowlan park two years in a row there would be a strike
not saying we would beat cork in tullamore as they beat us well there in 2009, but fair is fair cork should have not have a home view again.

did offaly not come out of the hat first for the football draw again tipp but because tipp were away last year they got the home draw this year, rules for one county differ for others.

i think myself whats wrong is kilkenny have should a hold on the hurling scene over the last 12 years that they are trying to keep the big guns in the championship as long as they can
after all thats why the back door was brough in, as the like of offaly,clare,wexford,waterford, were winning and tipps and kilkenny,cork, were taking a back seat.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

away to cork, it was a hard task playing cork but for them to have home advantage again is just nearly impossible to expect us to get a win down there. in my opinion these games should be played in neutral venues anyway, play it in portlaoise or thurles.