Offaly vs Galway 17/6/2012 LSHC Semi Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Offaly vs Galway 17/6/2012 LSHC Semi Final

Post by DAF »

This would be my team for the match.

Dempsey
Morkan
Kenny
Franks
Horan
Cleary (If he is fit enough)
Rigney
Hannify
Carroll
Molloy
Egan
Parlon
Dooley
Bergin
Murphy

aze111
Junior B
Club: walshisland

Re: Offaly vs Galway 17/6/2012 LSHC Semi Final

Post by aze111 »

Agree that midfield needs a major overhaul, and that Joe Bergin needs to be at the edge of the square.c We didnt get enough outta him the other day

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Here's details of tickets and concessions for the double-header. Note, for the group concessions you need to apply to the Leinster Council in Portlaoise before Tuesday June 12th. Again, no-one is supposed to find out about this until the deadline has passed, so don't go telling anyone.
LEINSTER S.H.C. – GALWAY V OFFALY @ 2.00PM
LEINSTER S.F.C. – OFFALY V KILDARE @ 4.00PM
17TH JUNE 2012 – O’MOORE PARK, PORTLAOISE

Tickets can be purchased from the following locations:-
(a) the participating County Boards
(b) Leinster Council Offices, Portlaoise by:
(1) Sending a cheque/postal order and a S.A.E.
(2) By Credit Card (057) 8682000 (there is a €4 administration charge on all credit card transactions)
(c) Tickets.ie

GENERAL
Stand - €25
Terrace - €15

FAMILY TICKETS:-
1 Adult and 2 Juveniles etc.
Family Tickets are available for Stand
Stand:- Adults €25 Juveniles €5 each

1 Adult and 2 Juveniles etc.
Family Tickets are available for Terrace
Terrace:- Adults €15 Juveniles €3 each

Students (Terrace Only):-
Purchase full price tickets and on the day of the match they can claim a rebate of €5 when they produce appropriate I.D. at the designated stile PRIOR TO ENTRY INTO THE STADIUM.

Senior Citizens (Stand & Terrace):-
Purchase full price tickets and on the day of the match they can claim a rebate (Stand €10 & Terrace €5) when they produce appropriate I.D. at the designated stile PRIOR TO ENTRY INTO THE STADIUM.

Wheelchair Tickets:-
The Wheelchair Ticket is free of charge and the Assistant's ticket is €25

Adult Club Group Tickets:-
Adult Club Tickets available for €10 each to the Terrace. (Min. Group 15 & Max. Group 50)

GROUP PASSES:- GROUP PASSES (Under 16's) –TERRACE
Groups Passes are provided for groups of Juveniles U-16 €2 each (you are permitted to bring 1 adult free with every ten Juveniles) any additional adults pay full price for their tickets.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Cheers.

€4 admin fee is a bit steep for credit card. Perish the thought it would be easy to buy tickets

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Are the stand tickets unreserved or do you have to sit in a particular seat?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lads who go to the stand would want to take a long hard look at themselves!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Galway beat Tipperary tonight 3-16 to 0-20 in a challenge match in Thurles. Seemingly Galway were well up (something like 3-13 to 0-10) and took the foot of the gas. The 20 guys Tipperary used were taken from their first 23. Lar played the full 70, and only Eoin Kelly and Tom Stapleton from the players who played some part against Limerick didn't get game time. In other words Tipperary had a very strong team out.

Galway are a currently on a "training week", whatever that entails. The Galway panellists must have very flexible employers!! Anyways maybe they are starting to ramp up their championship preparations with the plan of bursting out of the blocks Sunday week. Was the Westmeath match just a game to get over and didn't really register on their seasonal plan?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

its hard to judge challenge games wexford two were flying again tipp and waterford in their matches before the offaly game
but you are right we will see a different galway side again offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

According to the Galway forum, Galway lined out as follows:

James Skehill returned in goals, replacing Fergal Flannery;
Brian Flaherty, Kevin Hynes, Fergal Moore; (Flaherty coming in, Donoghue going to wing – Paul Gordon was a controversial choice at 5 anyway).
Niall Donoghue, Tony Regan, Joseph Cooney (who replaced Johnny Coen in a change from Mullingar);
Andrew Smith, Íarla Tannian (same midfield);
David Burke, Jonathan Glynn, Cyril Donnellan (Glynn replaced Niall Burke here);
James Regan, Conor Cooney, Damien Hayes (Regan replacing Glennon as he did early on in Mullingar).

It seems Johnny Coen came on for Andrew Smith in the early stages (following an injury) and a load of subs got a run in the second half.

Still a lot of changes from the Galway side that beat Offaly two years ago. Only Regan survives from the defence! Damien Joyce, Shane Kavanagh , Ollie Canning, John Lee and Dónal Barry are all gone.

I'd say too that Galway weren't too focussed on Westmeath. They had club matches the weekend before that, played Clare in a challenge early in the week and Tipperary last night. Their focus is on July if you ask m,e the feeling west of the Shannon is that Leinster hurling is beneath them.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

aze111
Junior B

Post by aze111 »

cant wait to see Kenny roast Canning aand Dooley and Bergin scoring goals for fun :D

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

We never score goals for fun, we got lucky the other night, and need to learn. Galway will have learned a little also.
There is something very concerning about the lack of progress in Offaly at Minor & u21 over the last few year, and when you compare this against GAlway's record the result in Portlaoise should be a formality.
However it doesnt work like that, but in order to compete against Galway, we will have to bring a combination of ferocity and cuteness to the game that we ahve not done to any great degree in recent times. Now is the time with the shackles off!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'm not so sure Westmeath scoring 4 goals is necessary good news for Offaly. It just means Galway are going to be really focussed on tightening up at the back.

The 2nd half against Wexford is still a worry with Offaly not scoring for the last 18 minutes, wind assisted.
There is the possibility that Offaly lost focus when in a commanding lead. Often teams that hand over the initiative to the opposition struggle to regain it.

On the other hand it could also be that Wexford getting their defence properly organised was the main reason for Offaly getting snuffed out.
They had taken off both starting corner backs by then and brought on players who seemed to cope better. For example for the first half Shane Dooley goal, he was being marked by an inexperienced corner back who got caught under a long ball. Before the game I would have thought Keith Rossiter would have been the more obvious choice to mark Offaly’s main scoring threat.

I would much rather be playing Galway straight after one of their trademark 6 or 7 goal trimming of some poor unfortunate team.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

any word on the team for sunday yet lads. really looking forward to this game, if its like the game few years ago it should be a very good game. if canning starts i cant see him standing at full forward on kenny , he will be moved out the field and i imagine hayes will be put on kenny to run him like the last time theses sides met in portlaoise. if i was baker id put rigney on hayes and let him stick with him everywhere he goes, hayes is the main man and i think if we can stop him from getting on the ball it will help our cause big time. id leave egan at centre forward to win the puck out again but he needs two good ball winners either side of him to take some of the pressure off him. maybe parlon and molloy on the half forward line would bring some size to win puck outs, joe bergin into full forward and feed ball into him. il go for offaly 3-13 galway 2-14.

aze111
Junior B

Post by aze111 »

I agree, Rigney is our best possible hope of keeping Hayes quiet. Hope Canning stays at Full Forward, because i believe Kenny is well able for him, granted Canning is always going to score a few frees but i think his scoring from play will be limited with Kenny on his shoulder. Apart from that our midfield need to wake up and smell the coffee, or we will be owned in centre field again

OffalySorry
Junior B

Post by OffalySorry »

Cathal Parlon shouldnt be near the team! Seen him in a training match on sunday and he never got a puck at it!
Paul Cleary was outstanding and should be Centre Back so Offaly can utilise Rory Hannify further up the field! Midfield was anonymous the last day so a Hannify/Derek Molloy partnership would suit be their with Mahon at wing forward maybe!
Mahon/Egan/Carroll half forward line with Murphy/Bergin/Dooley in the full! Also Dylan Hayden is back in with the squad and would be a good option anywhere on the field! Was at corner back in the training match!