County's best Championship team of last 50 years

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

County's best Championship team of last 50 years

Post by summerindublin »

This was in the Indo on 14 May giving the best championship teams for each county in both codes, great reading and some surprises. Well worth the read to see the teams picked in each county e.g Kilkenny hurling team, Kerry Football, Meath Football, Cork hurling and football. The Offaly teams picked were:
Football
Martin Furlong
Mick Ryan, Paddy McCormack, John Egan
Eugene Mulligan, Nicholas Clavin, Sean Lowry
Tomas Connor, Willie Bryan
John Cooney, Kevin Kilmurray, Tony McTague
Johnny Mooney, Matt Connor, Brendan Lowry

Hurling
Damien Martin
Aidan Fogarty, Eugene Coughlan, Martin Hanamy
Brian Whelahan, Pat Delaney, Ger Coughlan
Joachim Kelly, Johnny Pilkinton
Johnny Dooley, Paddy Molloy, Joe Dooley
Pat Carroll, Padraig Horan, Johnny Flaterty
Last edited by summerindublin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DAF
All Star

Re: County's best Championship team of last 50 years

Post by DAF »

In some ways Offaly teams are fairly boring and lacking in imigination or a huge amount of debate just on the basis that in both codes we have had 2 teams that have won all irelands and all players with the exception of Paddy Molloy were on one or other of those teams.It would be more interesting to put up the best Offaly teams of players who havent won all irelands.

P.S.You forgot the half forward line on the hurling team

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

if they do this again in another while theres a chance that both joe and shane dooley and padraig and diarmuid horan will be on the same team!!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

boomcha wrote:if they do this again in another while theres a chance that both joe and shane dooley and padraig and diarmuid horan will be on the same team!!!
Or more entertaining still, Shane could be taking Joe's spot.....
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well the way he has hurl in the last few championships he is as good as the 6 forwards that were picked
and would have no problem getting on the 80's or 90's sides

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Three Offaly players make the best Leinster team of the last 50 years
John O'Leary (Dublin)
Rob O'Malley (Meath) Jack Quinn (Meath) Robbie Kelleher (Dublin)
Paul Curran (Dublin) Mick Carolan (Kildare) Martin O'Connell (Meath)
Brian Mullins (Dublin) Willie Bryan (Offaly)
Trevor Giles (Meath) Tony Hanohoe (Dublin) Tony McTague (Offaly)
Colm O'Rourke (Meath) Matt Connor (Offaly) Bernard Flynn (Meath)

The best All-Ireland Team will now be chosen, there are 4 players picked for each position i.e Leinster, Munster, Connaught & Ulster. Willie Bryan is up against Darragh O'Shea (Muster), Willie Joe Padden (Connaught) & Anthony Tohill (Ulster). Tony McTague is up against Pat Spillane (Munster), Mickie Kearins (Connaught) & Paddy Doherty (Ulster) & Matt Connor is up against Eoin Liston (Munster), Padraic Joyce (Connaught) & Sean O'Neill (Ulster).

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Paul Curran no more deserves his spot on that team. And not just for the fact that he knocked Finbarr Cullen's teeth out from behind in late 1997.

Off hand - Paddy Reynolds, Kevin Foley,Eugene Mulligan(nominated on his own in his position for an All Star) were all better players than him.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Keith Barr was a better footballer than Curran, Glen Ryan as well

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Martin Furlong better than o'leary to played in all ireland finals in the 60's 70' 80's

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Have to disagree Townman, Furlong was a good man to protect his square old style, but I would have to say O'Leary was a great all round keeper. A savage shot stopper, solid, and a super kick out. If you look back, Furlongs kickouts were a bit all over the place, and I think in 1979/80 Mick Wright was kicking out.
He was a wonderful keeper in terms of striking the fear of God into forwards, but I would tend to agree with O'Leary's selection.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Have to say it again

Furlong was the best I ever saw, brilliant shot stopper and fear of God !!!!! OUCH !!!!

Only starting taking kick-outs in later years (Mick Ryan took them in 64 minor) Iron Man did for years it was only after MW messed them up in 80 that Martin took over.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Have to disagree Townman, Furlong was a good man to protect his square old style, but I would have to say O'Leary was a great all round keeper. A savage shot stopper, solid, and a super kick out. If you look back, Furlongs kickouts were a bit all over the place, and I think in 1979/80 Mick Wright was kicking out.
He was a wonderful keeper in terms of striking the fear of God into forwards, but I would tend to agree with O'Leary's selection.
Martin had problems with his knees for years, can't remember him in the early 70's
but he was as good as shot stopper as any his pen save in 82 final he also made great
saves again Galway in that years semil from Gay McManus .

John O'Leary was a good keeper also but it would be Furlong by a mile for me :wink:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

I think to be fair, Cluxton is and will be proven to be the best keeper of the last 50 years.
And going back to Furlong, the kick out is a goalies primary job in the GAA, but look, I'm happy as the next man to acknowledge his ability to strike fear and his shot stopping.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

can't remember to many times Furlong not kicking it out, he did for most games in 82, and 83, and 81 as far as i remember.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Cluxton is without doubt the best keeper of the last 50 year's. The man has no weak points he's simply brought goalkeeping to another level . He'd make any team in any era . IMO that is.