Intermediate Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

Intermediate Football Championship

Post by Lean Times »

I will have more interest than usual in the IFC this year as my own club, Cappincur, will be playing in the second tier of football for the first time in a long long time! First up is Doon. Realistically this year is about consolidation and gaining a foothold and not falling back into Junior. I would love to be able to say that last years success could be built on but a lot of players have been lost from that team unfortunately. A Q/F would be dream territory for this team this year.

From an outside perspective it is hard to look beyond St. Brigids, Shamrocks and Rhode to take ultimate honours. Brigids and Rhode square off against each other in a big game this weekend. Outside of this contingent, it is very much even and hard to choose any clear cut team to be out in front. Clonbullogue had a very good year last year and perhaps can replicate that. Apart from that, it is very difficult to forecast who will qualify and who will play off for relegation.

This weekends fixtures: (Sunday)

O Brien Park: Birr v Raheen C Costello 12noon
Ballinamere: Shannonbridge v Kilclonfert N Flynn 12noon
Ballinagar: Bracknagh v Durrow E Dunne 12noon
Tubber: Cappincur v Doon C Groome 12noon
Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Edenderry: St Brigids v Rhode J O’Reilly 7pm

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Intermediate Football Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Surely fixing this match for Portarlington makes no sense from a travelling point of view. And at midday, at that.
Lean Times wrote:Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Surely fixing this match for Portarlington makes no sense from a travelling point of view. And at midday, at that.
Lean Times wrote:Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Thats if the match goes ahead. Rumour has it that Clonbullogue are giving Shamrocks a walk over as they notified the county board a while back that first communion is on that day and wanted it free and were told thats ok. So what did the county board do? - Fix it for the same time and day as the First Communion which alot of the players children are involved in :roll:
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Think the standard of Intermediate football has fallen back a good bit IMO. Croghan couldnt even beat Rhode's second team in the Final despite been 7/8 points up in first half. Its between Croghan, Rhode and Shamrocks. Clonbullogue have lost 4/5 starters from last year so cant see them doing much. A dark horse could be Bracknagh. There getting there act together big time and have been doing well in the league. My predictions for semi finalists are Croghan, Shmarocks, Rhode and the last spot between Bracknagh/Shannonbridge/Ballyfore

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Maybe the standard has dropped a bit but that said its always very competitive with most teams in with a chance of getting to the semis. Hopeful enough in Bracknagh this year and young Caunningham is capable doing enough damage to win us games. I expect Croghan to win it out.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

O Brien Park: Birr v Raheen C Costello 12noon
Ballinamere: Shannonbridge v Kilclonfert N Flynn 12noon
Ballinagar: Bracknagh v Durrow E Dunne 12noon
Tubber: Cappincur v Doon C Groome 12noon
Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Edenderry: St Brigids v Rhode J O’Reilly 7pm

Winners
Birr (to cause a shock)
Shannonbridge
Durrow
Doon
Shams
St Brigids

Semi finalists Shannonbridge,Croghan, Rhode,Shams, Winners: Croghan

Sniper
Junior B

Post by Sniper »

A very tight Championship with a lot of teams evenly matched. Hard to know how Shamrocks will react to relegation last year and Brigids to defeat by Rhode 2nds in the final. However if both teams react positively Id place them both as front runners. Cant see Rhode being near as strong this year with the bulk of the leaders of last years squad either retiring or moving up to senior ranks.
Birr are always a tricky team to play when they are putting in the effort. Ballyfore may go well having had a year to blend in all the Edenderry transfers. There is some big names in their squad with plenty of ability. Raheen didnt perform at all in the semi last year and may look to right a few wrongs. The Bullocks had the measure of Brigids in the semi last year and if they can build on that they would have a great chance of winning it out. Bracknagh are improving by all accounts and the addition of young Cunningham (although still a bit young) should have the scoreboard ticking over a bit more frequently. Durrow play a lovely brand of football and are hard to beat when in full flight. A lot depends on their attitude and on Ballinamere hurling.
Both Doon and Shannonbridge have slipped back over the last decade and will be trying hard to scale the heights of yester years. Both have some excellent footballers but are let down by the fringe players. If they can remedy this, they can prosper and definetly qualify for 1/4 finals and then who knows? Cappincur had a fairytale season last year and would be a match for any of the other teams were it not for emigration. I hear Noel Andrew is gone and thats a big loss. However they have momentum from last year and very little expectation, so they could cause plenty of suprises along the way. Cappincurs promotion now brings Dangain parishes representitives to Two. Kilclonfert will not want to be outshone by their percieved lesser neighbours. Although they are not in the same group, Kills pride will push them to higher levels this year. They wont want to be listening to their neighbours qualifying from the other group while they are in a relegation dogfight. The tought of this alone will spur them on big time.
This is probably the most evenly matched championship in a long time. After Brigids and Shamrocks, any out of Durrow, Ballyfore, Rhode, Clonbollogue, Raheen or even Doon or Shannonbridge could realistically take the honours. Am I right in thinking there will be no relegation from this grade this year with uneven groupings, or will two go down? Or maybe two go up? Either way its hard to pick a definite relegation canditate, in fact winning two games might not be enough to save you.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

i dont think rhode will do much this year lads i heard their junior and inter teams will be poor this year because of players having to be regraded and lads retiring. i expect croghan to have a big win at the weekend and il go for a bracknagh/ croghan final if it can happen this year.

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

rhode will probaly lose a few players to the senior set up.very hard championship to call,not much between any of the teams this yr.i think st brigids will win tho out of sheer hunger.if they dont go up this yr they cud be down for a gud few years...on a sidenote not really fair on rhode supporters to be forking out money for the senior and i'mediate matches on the same day.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Sniper wrote:Birr are always a tricky team to play when they are putting in the effort.
They seem to be this year anyway! Haven't lost a game in Division 3 and are leading the way. The two Ryans, the two Lonergans, Barry Harding and Thomas Bolger would make most club teams in the county. I really am looking forward to seeing the first round of results and see where teams stand.

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

Have twenty on Birr at 2-1 to beat a depleted Raheen team.... so hopefully there is a shock on the cards!
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Thereorthereabouts wrote:Have twenty on Birr at 2-1 to beat a depleted Raheen team.... so hopefully there is a shock on the cards!
Where did you see odds on intermediate games? I'm shuddering with excitement at the potential here....
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

I would also like to know where these odds are avaiable?

Just to let others know, as far as I know the Clonbullogue/Shamrocks game is called off and I think shamrocks got the points

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

theman wrote: Just to let others know, as far as I know the Clonbullogue/Shamrocks game is called off and I think shamrocks got the points
I thought I seen that the Clonbullogue game has now been moved to 4pm Sunday in Cappincur and the Bracknagh Durrow game has been moved to Gracefield for a 12 noon throw in.Typical rubbish from the GAA when it comes to fixtures, nobody knows whats going on :roll:

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

No the Clonbullogue game is def not on. I dont know wether its been refixed or if shamrocks get the points. Offaly County Board, especially the fxtures committee baffle me sometimes!