Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Hurling Championship

Post by allstar2010 »

Can anyone tell me for definite what weekend the first round of the championship is pencilled in for? My club are not too sure if its the May bank holiday weekend or the weekend after. Would really appreciate if someone knew as I'm trying to make plans for the weekend its not on!! Cheers lads

rocket57
County player

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by rocket57 »

weekend of the13th May

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rocket is right. Which is a good job because I mis-read it at first and almost gave the wrong answer.

Fixtures plan here
https://docs.google.com/a/gaa.ie/viewer ... U1MjVjZDVm
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

hoohaa
Junior C
Club: belmont

Post by hoohaa »

Any predictions for the year on the club scene

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Would really appreciate if someone knew as I'm trying to make plans for the weekend its not on!!
How dare you try to make plans as a GAA club player. If you've championship the weekend after the bank holiday weekend, that means that you're bank holiday should be spent in training camp - preparing the mind and body. forget about that BBQ that you're thinking of going to on the Sunday evening, or the weekend break you're missus is harping on about - anything other than stale bread, black tea and re-runs of 1994 All Ireland hurling final is a sin

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

cheers lads, thanks for that.
llkj wrote:
Would really appreciate if someone knew as I'm trying to make plans for the weekend its not on!!
How dare you try to make plans as a GAA club player. If you've championship the weekend after the bank holiday weekend, that means that you're bank holiday should be spent in training camp - preparing the mind and body. forget about that BBQ that you're thinking of going to on the Sunday evening, or the weekend break you're missus is harping on about - anything other than stale bread, black tea and re-runs of 1994 All Ireland hurling final is a sin
Haha, may make the most of this bank holiday weekend so!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I see Carrig & Riverstown beat Birr in the Senior league over the weekend. I'd guess Birr were not at full strength for one reason or another. Still, this must rank as one of C&R's greatest ever days. Hats off to them.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

With Carrick & Riverstown defeating Birr, the 2012 Offaly Senior Hurling Championship must now be just a two horse race with only Coolderry and St Rynaghs in contention.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Well thats definitely the end of Birr anyway. No doubt about it. Any chance Carrig and Riverstown could take their place in the Senior Championship? Dark horses.

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Birr were playin leinster league to day so i say they had a weak team out y day v c & r. Big year for st rynaghs. Every year they have been picked to win senior hurlin and have not proceeded to do so.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

The gulf in class between the two county finalists last year and the teams they beat in the semis was so wide I can't see it being bridged in the space of a year. The other teams best chance seems to be if Coolderry and Birr are drawn to meet somewhere along the line before the county final and someone else manages a shock in the final. I think there's practically no chance a team would beat the two of them in the knockout stages of the championship.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Sharp Eye wrote:With Carrick & Riverstown defeating Birr, the 2012 Offaly Senior Hurling Championship must now be just a two horse race with only Coolderry and St Rynaghs in contention.
don't think ST.Rynaghs have bridge the gap between themselfs and Birr from last years semil-final beating, a full strength Birr side would still be way better than Rynaghs :wink:

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

townman wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:With Carrick & Riverstown defeating Birr, the 2012 Offaly Senior Hurling Championship must now be just a two horse race with only Coolderry and St Rynaghs in contention.
don't think ST.Rynaghs have bridge the gap between themselfs and Birr from last years semil-final beating, a full strength Birr side would still be way better than Rynaghs :wink:
What happened to your under 21 team at the weekend?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

joe bloggs wrote:
townman wrote:
What happened to your under 21 team at the weekend?
they were well beaten, but sure look at the under 21's Rynaghs have won over the last 10 years and still its 1993 since a senior title K/K the same bags of underage titles
but no senior.

yes Rynaghs might be back some day or might not, but they are still way off Coolderry and Birr when it will come to the business part of the season
i am not going to get into a whos best Birr or Rynaghs debate i was hearing the same coming up to last yearts county semil-final.

as i said last year before the semil Birr will do their talking on the hurling field in which they did and they will do again this year if they meet
anyway Joe bloggs best of luck to Rynaghs for the coming year and don't be blowing up Rynaghs before a ball is threw in yet in championship
have you not learn anything over the last few years :wink:

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

if you were to review all of my posts here townman I doubt you would find be "blowing up Rynaghs"
In the last decade they have claimed two u 21 titles ( hardly domination on the scale of KK in the 90's!) and Birr have won one since rynaghs last victory.
I put the question to you however regarding the performance of your under 21's at the weekend in the context of your confidence of birr's ability to remain at the top of the tree in offaly
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean