Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
lusmagh
Junior B

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by lusmagh »

Well lads, it's Friday and things are starting to come back to near normal in Lusmagh. It's been a whirlwind week, the like of which you couldn't even imagine was possible and one that will never be forgotten. Anyone attending the camogie semi-finals tomorrow will see how mad we went on colour around the parish and the reaction of the kids and older generations in particular is something the players will never forget.

We had a lot of well wishes and congratulations on this site and from strangers far and near and we're very humbled by it all and very thankful. We also saw overwhelming graciousness in defeat from our neighbours and again, it's something Lusmagh people won't forget.

A big thanks also to POTH for his updates throughout the year both here and on lusmagh dot com.

Training kicks off again early next week and we're hoping to do the county proud in Leinster. It's very much a journey into the unknown but we're going to prepare as hard as we did over the past few months and see where it can take us and at the very least it'll serve to shorten the Winter for all in Lusmagh.

PS... We always thought it was just an expression but a certain pub in Banagher was drank within an inch of being dry Sunday night!!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Belated congrats to lusmagh on their victory. Always great heart in the club and honest as the day is long. Hard luck to rynaghs but i hear ye all gave it more timber together in the pubs after than was seen in the match! Thats what the gaa is all about.. best of luck to them with the senior final in 2 weeks. Hopefully the underage wins of late can transfer to the senior..

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Very well done to those in the Intermediate final, not many sleeps left to the big one now. Pressure builds. Any previews out there? Looks as if the K/K forwards are our stumbling block. If they don't improve 'Sean Robbins' will be down the river, the Shannon and not the Silver. :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

2012 Senior Hurling Final preview

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This year’s Final will be momentous for the winner – either a nineteen year hunger will be sated or a famine that has lasted a century will be ended. Obviously both St Rynagh’s and Kilcormac-Killoughey will want to win and bring an end to long barren spells, bring the cup to Simon’s or the Blue Ball, and become Offaly Senior champions for 2012.

Winning would also open up a gateway for the rest of the decade. With Birr facing into a rebuilding period, Coolderry unlikely to improve, Clareen not generating any momentum and Shinrone still a few years off winning a title, Sunday’s winners will likely add another two titles over the next four years.

If St Rynagh’s don’t win on Sunday they will still be possible winners next year. They are young enough and fresh enough. There are no imminent retirees either. It would be a different story for Kilcormac-Killoughey who are under pressure to deliver a title. Comparisons with Mayo footballers are stark.

Consequently the respective build-ups appear to be very different. Ban Ban (as it has become known on social media and I really should get with the lingo) has been festooned with flags, bunting and colour almost since the semi-final win. Driving through Kilcormac in near-darkness on Sunday evening last it was noticeable that there were but a handful of flags up in the town. Now the Final will not be decided by who has the most flags (or the least, for that matter) but I wonder does that betray a sense of trepidation by the Silver River.

This trepidation is a result of Final defeats in 2002, 2007 and 2009. It shouldn’t be. Birr were at their peak in 2002, K-K themselves had a very young team in 2007 and in 2009 they had the wrong attitude beforehand and had the wrong manager to boot. Now, if K-K choose to learn from the experience of those Finals then they can turn all this to their advantage. I thought it worrying that Danny Owens, interviewed by the media pre-match, seemed preoccupied with looking back with regret.

Danny Owens sees 2007 as ‘the one that got away’. I beg to differ. K-K fielded that day with five of the previous year’s Minor winners, and a sixth, Daniel Currams, came on early in the game. Granted they did middling well that day, but that day should have ben used to build on, rather than to beat themselves up over. Danny also carries regrets over a 1990 semi-final defeat to Birr. Now Danny is dreaming if he thinks K-K should have won that semi-final where Birr, despite a shaky start, never looked like losing.

So where can it be won (and lost) on the field? St Rynaghs’ ful-forward line burned Shinrone with the pace of Ger Scales and Stephen Quirke and the movement of Diarmuid Horan. Key to the whole thing though was the positioning of the half-forward line who pulled well out to midfield, the wing-forwards pulled out to the sidelines, the Shinrone half-back line followed and Colin O’Meara, Willie Comerford and Denis Coonan were unprotected and were dangerously exposed.

The K-K full-back line were also in a spot of bother in the first half against Belmont when Belmont might have scored a goal, or two, or six. When it came to playing against Birr, Seán Ryan should have troubled Ger Healion but didn’t, while later, Brendan Murphy shouldn’t really have troubled the K-K full-back but did. The difference was the positioning of the respective full-forwards. David Cox game out, gained possession and ran at K-K. Seán Ryan stayed closer to goal and attempted to get around Healion from a standing start, while with the play opened up at that end, Murphy came out 30 metres or so and gained good possession.

Against Shinrone, Diarmuid Horan frequently came out 40 metres to gain possession, being allowed the room to do so by the positioning of his half-forwards (and Shinrone’s half-backs). I’d expect Ger Healion to let Horan off when he drifts outfield and let Peter Healion pick him up.

St Rynagh’s aren’t going to change this at this stage, so alot depends on where Peter Healion, James Geraghty and Brian Leonard (will he line out?) take up position. The K-K trio need to cover the spaces in their defence. They also need their half-forwards to fill up spaces in the middle third. One team will impose their will on the game. Which one?

Naturally for a full-forward line they are dependent on the quality of the supply. This depends on Gary Conneely, and to a lesser extent to Nigel White. White is a good worker and has proved his worth since his promotion from the Intermediates. Chris Guinan and Alan McConville are a couple of doughty corner-backs and if the ball is slow coming in could well be the pair to curtail Scales and Quirke.

The Kilcormac forwards were truly awful against Birr. Pat Camon is a good hurler and is well able to read a game, but is not really suited to full-back. Still, Daniel Currams has made hardly any impact all year. James Gorman was no better and Trevor Fletcher’s hitting the post from a 20m free in front of the posts summed up the Roscrea man’s day. The lineups here will likely see Fergus Shortt pick up James Gorman, Pat Camon mark Daniel Currams, with Conor Hernon getting out to the ball first ahead of Fletcher.

Conor Mahon was K-K’s best performing forward against Birr. Thing is, that performance from centre half-forward was one of a worker-midfielder type, a job Mahon does so well. K-K need Peter Geraghty, who was their top man in last year’s Minor Final, to pick off a few scores. They also need Ciarán Slevin doing much more than taking frees. They need the older Slevin as a puckout target, picking off scores and bringing Currams into the game.

Freshness is often the key to winning a Final. Over the last five weeks it is St Rynagh’s who have a clear edge in that department, blowing a apart an out-of-sorts Coolderry and never looked like losing to Coolderry. K-K took 30 minutes to put away a Belmont team who carried no belief into their quarter-final, while no-one knows how K-K beat Birr in the semi-final. Granted that was one of those games where K-K had to be six points better than Birr just to win by one.

K-K appear to me to be unnecessarily burdened by Final defeats, particularly in 2002 and 2007. Just like Mayo. Danny Owens’ lamenting adds to that burden. K-K can’t win the Finals of 2007 or 2009 but they can win the Final of 2012 if they focus on themselves, on Sunday’s opposition and the game at hand. It’s possible that, like Mayo, they will parse previous Final defeats for lessons to be learned.

St Rynagh’s have a rich tradition but I get the feeling that, rather than be burdened by it that this tradition will inspire them. For that reason I think St Rynagh’s will win by about five points, something like 2-14 to 1-12 or thereabouts.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

go for a Rynaghs win myself by the odd point or two good team in a final, as KK seem to let the day get to them again tullamore in 09
comes to mind,

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Fantastic write-up POTH, a credit to this forum. We shall see with regards to your prediction. Team spirit is really good I hear. Hope they do themselves and their supporters proud on Sunday.

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

Ill go for a K/K win. I think the K/K half backs will play deep and cut off the supply to the Rynaghs full forward line. They will be able to do this because the half forward line doesn't carry a strong scoring treat. Ill say 3-12 to 1-14 with Currams getting a few goals.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Great stuff from POTH here. Any good preview leaves you more informed, and more excited about the prospect of going to the game. Ticks both boxes easily.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffoabroad
Junior B

Post by biffoabroad »

Over for the game and heading down the N4 very much looking forward to this final. Good crowd, 2 evenly matched teams, good underage rivalry...hope the rain stays away. Very hard to call, but being biased going for KK to nick it hoping that they have saved their performance and peak for this game. Best of luck to both teams.

biffoabroad
Junior B

Post by biffoabroad »

Also, big thanks to the regular contributors here who give great reports and analysis. Really makes a big difference to those of us who are further afield and can't get to the games. Keep up the good work.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

I had this posted on a separate thread, so I'll add my two cents...

Sunday 7th October becomes a red-letter day for both St.Rynaghs and Kilcormac/Killoughey GAA Clubs. A day when both aim to bury demons of different sorts. KK, come in weight the added pressure of having never won a senior title, when, at different stages they were widely expected to do so. Rynaghs have, but not with this generation of players, and both, between them have shared an abundance of under-age titles. The rewards will now be reaped by one, but which?

Where Sean Robbins spends the next 12 months, each team can put up a valuable argument to host him, but where he will rest his head ultimatley depends on how both go about their business on Sunday. Rynaghs will be many peoples favourites on the back of knocking out many peoples pre-championship favourites, Coolderry. Not with the result alone, but the notable improvement in performance, and a confidence that has seen a tremendous work ethic and togetherness in their group. This is exemplified, which I'm sure people will see at half-time on Sunday, where they gather as a unit in midfield and march towards the dressing room together. Solidarity, and belief in the collective becomes ever more paramount in these modern times, ask Jim McGuinness. Rynaghs have built strong from the back, trusting youth, and those youngsters have grown into men, and quiet quickly. Take Conor Clancy in goals, just out of minor, who has a huge psychical presence in between the sticks, he has revelled in the role, one which oppositions would target given his tender age. Stephen Wynne has proved a reliable club man and waltzes out with balls to set forward attacks as opposed to the traditional booming clearance. Conor Hernon, captain, is the fulcrum on which the Rynaghs rearguard is built, hard working, fast and as sticky as you are likely to meet in Offaly Hurling. Where they position him and what threat they ask him to nullify will go a long way towards deciding the result. Pat Camon upon his return from injury earlier in the year has become a tower of strength wherever he has played, and with Dermot Shortt commanding the centre back spot, this youthful back line are not short of leaders, or fearful of the physical stakes. If they have the Gazza of 2011 in midfield, Rynaghs will have a commanding figure in the engine room, Nigel White has gone about his work in tremendous fashion this year and has got crucial scores at times, he has been the perfect foil for Kelly, but he will insist more of his partner, the unsung hero of the blue and golds. Another leader, along still only 25 is Ciarán Flannery, and the fact that he didn't hurl particularly well in the semi augers well for Rynaghs. For Rynaghs to win, Flanerry will have to have the measure of Peter Healion, and he has the ability and strength to do so, problem is, Healion can physically take whatever is thrown at him, and he will be tough to break down in the centre. The positioning of Diarmuid Horan is crucial. Bet Willie Comerford for pace every time in the semi-final, but where was the end result? If Horan becomes more direct with ball in hand, he is pivotal to Rynaghs cause. A player of his ability should finish with 1-3 or so a game, but he hasn't, he seems to be played in the role of play maker, give him the ball, but let him score, if I was a Rynaghs man, it's what I would call for, but will he? Gary Connelly has the ability to decide big games, he doesn't shy back, and he can hurl too, KK will need to curb his influence, as he could roam anywhere, and is well able to win his ball and take a score. If they allow him to roam, they are in trouble. Queue Scales and Quirke, the heroes of the semi, they will face a different test on Sunday in Chris Guinan and Alan McConville, expect to see a Guinan-Scales, Quirke-McConville match-up. Don't expect the same return as they got in the semi final. McConville, althhough small in stature, is huge in heart, and he will be the perfect match for Quirke, like he did on Eoin Ryan last year.If KK win those two battles, they will have a strong foothold in the game.

Driving through Kilcormac, the town seems more subdued, more in control, more ready. There isn't wild excitement of a young team looking for that elusive win. Players and supporters alike know that there time to shine has to come on Sunday. They have been on the block a while now, they know it too. If there time is to be on Sunday, how Mahon, Gorman, Fletcher and Currams perform will be crucial. All 4 haven't hit there standards yet this year, they have shown flashes, but their undoubted ability at this level means that if they fire, so do KK. Their backs have been consistent, as has Slevin in the Goals, his puck outs are a big asset. His ability to find forwards on the run, particularly his brother, and go-to guy for them this year, Ciaran, is crucial. If their forwards are allowed that supply line coming through, they will relish it. Slevin will keep the board ticking over, what Currams and Gorman turn up is the question. Currams has the power and ability to score goals from 14, and they will need them. Gorman is as sweet a striker as there is, he'll score 4 or 5 points and be unstoppable, or he'll be off after 35 minutes, it could be his time. Fletcher is a poacher, he will need to be watched. How the Rynaghs backs are positioned will be vital. If it were me, Camon-Gorman, Simon Og-Fletcher and Wynne-Currams, I would expect fireworks, as on paper they look evenly matched, but nothing is ever won there. I expect KK's backs to overpower what frenzy Rynaghs cook up in the first 20 mins, but it is further up the field the match will be won and lost for KK. Damien Kilmartin will sit back, break up attacks and do the unselfish work he has all year, if they returned Mahon to this sector alongside him, they would have the perfect compliment, but I expect Mahon to start at 11. Peter Gerathy has a youthful exuberance about him that haas seen him score freely all year, expect him to be welcomed into the match early on. They are not short of options either, both Leonards, Killian and Brian will fancy their chance, as will one one the Grogan's, Kevin and John. They have a bench to come on, they are a stronger unit than they were in 09.

It's finely poised, Rynaghs can nullify most attacks, Kilcormac Killoughey can rack up huge scores, but they don't consistently. Rynaghs are where they are this year as they have been fairly consistent, barring the Belmont game. They have improved big time and they will feel it is theirs, so to will KK. It is an intriguing match-up and one which will more than likely guarantee an electric atmosphere in a normally subdued OCP. There is no love lost, they know each other side out, they have contested finals all up along, and everyone knew this day would inevitably come. It has, and all the underage titles count for little now. Which team reaches it's pinnacle will take the spoils, Rynaghs have improved and come on enormously, KK have the more room for improvement from the semis. If Kilcormac/Killoughey learn from 09, and I think they will, I think they will shade this, allow it to become a scrap and the Saints will see it out. Expect a battle, one team's day is going to come, and I think KK will bench all the hurt of the past and take this one. Their day can be Sunday if they want it. Expect their boys to become men and fire them over the line. KK by 3-5 points in the end.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

best of luck to both teams in the final , it has the making of a great game with both sides hungry for the win. il go for rynaghs to win , st. rynaghs 2-13 k/k 1-11

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Tulllamore 2-15 Drumcullen 1-13

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Tullamore secured their Senior status with a hard-fought 2-15 to 1-13 win over Drumcullen at Lusmagh earlier this evening.

I say hard-fought because Drumcullen were intent on timbering their way through the match. They evidently spent alot of time practicing ground hurlng because they did hit some good ground strokes but most of the time they seemed to eschew picking the ball (when that might have been more favourable) in favour of a hard pull, for the thrill of hearing the sound of timber hitting off timber or hoping there might be a Tullamore leg in the way of the stroke.

I wasn’t keeping track of the free-count but I’d estimate Tullamore were awarded over two dozen frees while Drumcullen got about ten. This is because Tullamore were cuter. Ciarán Groome didn’t spot the more technical ones like tripping the hurl or catching three times and Tullamore played on this. On the other hand Drumcullen were too fond of the imnimidatory frontal charge, they tackled late, early and often pulled miles away from the dropping ball. I think the closeness of the scores stopped this getting out of hand.

Tullamore started without Shane Dooley and Shane Kelly in a controversial move. By the 14th minute Drumcullen led 0-6 to 0-2 with Danny Maher at 2, the Gath fella they call ‘Gosh’ at full-back and Ray Gath at 10 all hurling well. Still, the tide was turning Tullamore’s way by the 20th minute when Shane Dooley was brought on at full-forward. Dooley’s first action was go attempt a goal from a 45m free which was well blocked by Damien Spain in goal. Spain actually hurled well in goal throughout.

Tullamore took the lead for the first time when Stephen Keogh buried a goal in the 27th minute, Damien Spain restored Drumcullen’s lead with a goal a minute later at the other end and Drumcullen led 1-9 to 1-6 at half-time.

Tullamore went ahead again early in the second half when someone flicked on a goal following a dropping ball and with Ger Treacy seemingly hurling the whole field Drumcullen had no answer. Except to pull timber. And so the second-half proceeded with Tullamore keeping the scoreboard ticking over and an Drumcullen intent on pulling timber.

Drumcullen had the gap down to two points just six minutes from the end but three quick points by Nigel Mannion, Declan Hogan and Stephen Keogh put five in it again. Damien Fox made a good save from Alan Maher late in the game and with time up Fox saved a Conor Gath penalty.

Declan Hogan hit four points from play. Conor Gath pointed eight frees. Fortunate that it didn’t get out of hand though. Drumcullen will never learn.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

I'll keep it short think k/k to win 2mor their experience and hurt of loosing county finals will stand 2 them

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Tulllamore 2-15 Drumcullen 1-13
by Plain of the Herbs on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 pm
when I saw the heading and that it was going to be a report about Drumcullen, I waited to see how long it would take before the word 'timber' was used. True to form, I didn't have to wait too long. I haven't seen them playing in a few years, but most reports on here seem to involve the word 'timber' a lot. I actually thought this was one that Drumcullen might sneak, as word had it that they are training away and apparently Tullamore have hardly picked up a hurl collectively since their chances of making the knockout stages ended (2 months ago maybe?).

Anyway, Drumcullen surely will have too much for Shamrocks in the next round, as a good competitive match like this is way better preperation than anything that Shamrocks can be doing at this time of the year. Hopefully, for both clubs involved they don't drag this one out too long, as mid-October is already stretching late into the year as it is.

Also, here's hoping for a great county final!!! If KK dont do it now, they never will... in my opinion.