Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Coolderry 3-17 Kinnitty 0-15

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The scoreline is misleading here. This game was in the melting pot at the three-quarter mark. Coolderry three points ahead 1-12 to 0-13 but Kinnitty were doing all the hurling, only Joe Brady keeping Kinnitty out. Just as it seemed Kinnitty would push on, a long ball over the top was claimed by Cathal Parlon who drove the ball low to the net.

Kevin Connolly added another goal moments later and Coolderry kicked on for an 11 point win.

Coolderry got a flyer of a start too. Eoin Ryan’s early goal at the far end helped them lead 1-3 to 0-1 early on, though john Molloy’s point was an early individual highlight. Kinnitty steadied though and a good solid performance around the middle saw them just 1-9 to 0-9 behind at half time. They got back to within a point once, I think it was 1-10 to 0-12. Once Parlon’s goal came, Coolderry moved up through the gears and could do things faster and better.

Colm Coughlan scored 0-10. Damien Murray got 0-7 on the day before he departs for America. James Dempsey couldn’t get into it at full-forward. The goalkeeper did well though.

I wasn’t in for the first game between Kilcormac and Rahan. Kilcormac led 1-14 to 1-12 when I got in. Kilcormac pulled away to win 1-19 to 1-13.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Shinrone 1-11Belmont 0-12

Belmont dominated for the first ten minutes, Shinrone for the next ten and Belmont for th remaining ten of the first half, at the end of which Belmont led 0-9 to 0-6. Belmont might have had two early goals but conor Cleary made two fine saves. A tough game, played in the modern style, both teams trying to get ball into hand and break the tackle. Kieran McManus and James Murphy the best of the Belmont defence. Belmont’s forwards didn’t find much room to make the space as they usually do.

Belmont dominated the first ten minutes of the second half and though they won plenty of frees during this period were unable to convert their possession into scores. Shinrone’s full-back line did well where Denis Coonan is developing into a fine corner-back. Joe Cleary, another youngster, also excelled.

Colin Egan, who was well held throughout, ended an intense passage of play with an inspirational point and it seemed Belmont would kick on. I think that was their last score.

Belmont goalkeeper Barry Egan (who did well throughout) was caught in a muddle and conceded a 20 metre free. Three points down, they might have played safe and pointed but Michael Cordial came up and fired a bullet to the net. Level.

At once Shinrone were transformed. Dónal Morkan drove over a mighty one from distance to lead by a point. Belmont had plenty of time but Shinrone were buzzing now. Wing-back Michael Cleary pointed again from distance for a two-point lead. A dangerous lead and Belmont had a chance with a late long-range free. The siege was lifted and Shinrone celebrated.

The six Shinrone backs were immense. Hard to know what the forwards were trying to do. Still, Shinrone again finished well (again). Shinrone and steel in the one sentence. Wow! They should avoid Coolderry in the quarter-final now.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Hurling Championship round 5 fixtures

Fixtures from the Offaly GAA site. Five Senior round 5 matches down for decision at 7pm on Saturday. These are:-

Kilcormac-Killoughey v Kinnitty at Tullamore
Seir Kieran v Shamrocks at Crinkill
Coolderry v Brosna Gaels at Rath
Birr v Shinrone at Carrig
Belmont v St Rynaghs at Lusmagh

The remaining Senior match is on Friday evening (the outcome doesn’t affect the quarter-final pairings).

Drumcullen v Tullamore at Moystown

The five Intermediate round 5 matches are fixed for Friday evening at 7pm. St Rynagh’s have completed their programme of matches and are free. The five matches are:

Crinkill v Carrig & Riverstown at Birr
Birr v Killurin at Kinnitty
Lusmagh v Coolderry at Rath
Clara v KIlcormac-Killoughey at Killeigh
Ballinamere v Ballyskenagh at Kilcormac

Lusmagh v Coolderry will hardly go ahead at Rath given that Drumcullen are playing Tullamore at the same time elsewhere. Surely they know by now that Drumcullen and Rath are one and the same. Ditto for the Ballinamere v Ballyskenagh match fixed for Kilcormac.

lusmagh
Junior B

Re: Hurling Championship round 5 fixtures

Post by lusmagh »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Lusmagh v Coolderry will hardly go ahead at Rath given that Drumcullen are playing Tullamore at the same time elsewhere. Surely they know by now that Drumcullen and Rath are one and the same. Ditto for the Ballinamere v Ballyskenagh match fixed for Kilcormac.
Lusmagh v Coolderry IHC game will be played in Banagher on Friday evening.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Hurling Championship

Tullamore GAA have tweeted that the Tullamore v Drumcullen SHC match is now in Tullamore, still on Friday evening.

Expect more venue changes following the rain this week, though I'd imagine Lusmagh, Banagher & Carrig will be alright (that list is not exhaustive, I hasten to add).

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thoughts on SHC round 5

Keep your head down around South Offaly on Saturday evening – it’ll be a busy evening for carrier pigeons carrying updates of scores from venue to venue as we attempt to unravel the quarter-final venues. Calculators will also be a necessity, with the strong likelihood of three-way ties in the Birr/Shinrone group. And heaven help the mathematicians in the event Shamrocks beat Clareen (granted that’s unlikely), Coolderry beat Brosna and Kinnitty draw with Kilcormac, a permutation which will result in a three-way tie in that group where scoring difference will eliminate one of them.

The weekend gets underway this (Friday) evening with what is a de facto relegation semi-final between Tullamore and Drumcullen. If nothing else, this will be a bone-crusher, the product of which will be a freetaking shoot-out between Shane Dooley and Conor Gath. I expect Drumcullen will foul more, Tullamore will gain more frees and Dooley will outpoint Gath and Tullamore will survive, something like 1-15 to 1-9.

The pigeon will spend much of his time flying in and out of O’Connor Park on Saturday evening, where Kinnitty must beat Kilcormac (and hope Coolderry d them a favour, though not an almighty big favour) if they are to stay in contention for a quarter-final place. There was some encouragement for Kinnitty in their defeat to Coolderry last time out. Seánie Carroll and John Molloy are lively young forwards who could pick off enough scores if they were a bit more direct. Odhrán Kealey is showing signs of a return of his 2010 form too. I’m not sure about James Dempsey’s positioning at full-forward, though in this instance Dempsey might fill a role drawing Ger Healion away from the edge of his square, making room for the aforementioned.

The downside for Kinnitty is that Kilcormac have had their fright against Shamrocks a fortnight ago, and so will likely be more ruthless this time around. Still be best placed to beat Coolderry, Kilcormac are assured their place in the quarter-final. They will go out to win this, but if Kinnitty can stay within touching distance, keep goals out and keep pointing the frees, Kinnitty can come with a late burst to win, and qualify. Kinnitty by a whisker, in the region of 1-14 to 1-13 or thereabouts, methinks.

That pigeon would bring bad news from Tullamore for Brosna Gaels. Gaels’ defeat to Kilcormac wasn’t fatal, but their inability to deal with Joseph Bergin a fortnight ago will cost them a historic quarter-final place.

Damien Murray’s emigration isn’t fatal to Coolderry – Kevin Connolly will go to the left corner and Brian Carroll will take the frees. Brendan O’Meara’s injury, which kept him out of the Kinnitty game, is a concern though if that injury keeps him out further down the road. Brian Kelly was switched outfield from corner-back in the first half against Kinnitty in a swap with Mark Bergin (normally a midfielder), which doesn’t bode well for in-depth options in defence. Coolderry will win by what they like here.

Clareen generally mix the good and the bad within the one match, and once a year give a complete fifteen man performance around this time (that’s been against Tullamore in the last two years, K/K the year before). That tour-de-force came against Brosna Gaels a fortnight ago, despite several absentees. The influential Dermot Mooney is back from suspension for this too. Shamrocks too produced a seasons best against Kilcormac a fortnight ago, but they are building towards the relegation Final (if one is needed). Expect Derek Molloy to mark Joe Bergin this time. Tightly and physically at that. Clareen will still win, but not convincingly – around 3-13 to 1-15.

Shinrone have been a revelation this year, playing a stylish brand of hurling. Not that they have been blowing all opposition away – they haven’t, but they’ve been coming from behind, finishing well and showing oodles of belief under adversity. They’d do better with Michael Cordial on the right where he can spin points over off his favourite right side, curling the ball left-to-right – on the left side of the field he tends to put ball on hurl and run into traffic. One drawback, tallies of 2-11, 1-12 and 1-11 aren’t enough, and Shinrone will potentially be in trouble when they hit just 75% of those scores when they face a title contender.

Hard to know about the new Birr yet. Again, six of last year’s Intermediates fielded against Tullamore last time out, though they are not without hope here and a win over Shinrone would be a huge boost. The winner will face either Brosna Gaels or Kinnitty in the quarter-final. Birr may well win here, but I think spirited Shinrone are going too well at the moment and should beat Birr for the first time since 1981, around 1-14 to 1-11.

That pigeon will fly up and down all evening along the Little Brosna between Carrig (Shinrone v Birr) and Lusmagh (where Belmont face St Rynaghs). ’Rynagh’s are still making switches, though Stephen Wynne seems to be settled at full-back and Dermot Shortt likewise at centre-back. Gary Conneely and Nigel White have both lined out at midfield twice insuccessive matches now, with Conneely and Ger Scales sharing the freetaking.

That’s alot more consistency than Belmont are showing. They beat Tullamore with a determined performance while missing four, but with the full complement restored faltered in the finishing straight against Shinrone. Not just that, but Shinrone cut out the space on the Belmont forwards and kept the ball away from David Kenny at the other end. It doesn’t add up. Belmont have never beaten ’Rynagh’s in three previous attempts, though the last two attempts saw them fall agonisingly short, 2-17 to 2-15 last year and 2-8 to 0-12 in 2007. History won’t be made here, ’Rynagh’s to win by around 2-14 to 1-11.

Based on the above I’ll hazard a guess that the semi-final lineup will be Shinrone v Kinnitty, St Rynagh’s v Clareen, Birr v Kilcormac and Coolderry v Belmont. That’s based on the above happening. Yet, if Clareen make up an eight point scoring difference deficit on Kilcormac (which is quite possible), then ’Rynagh’s would play Kilcormac and Clareen play Birr. Whatever way it ends up, there’ll be plenty of jaded pigeons hanging around by 8.30pm on Saturday evening. Throw them a few scraps of food, they’ll have earned it.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Excellent stuff there Plain. I wouldn't even try to compete.

All I'm going to do is give my predictions for the weekend and my predections for the Quarter Finals

Tullamore vs Drumcullen - Tullamore
Kilcormac vs Kinnitty - Kinnitty
Birr vs Shinrone - Birr
Clareen vs Shamrocks - Clareen
Rynaghs vs Belmont - Belmont
Coolderry vs Brosna Gaels - Coolderry

Which leaves my prediction for the Quarter Finals as this:
Coolderry vs St Rynaghs
Seir Keiran vs Belmont
Kilcormac vs Shinrone
Kinnitty vs Birr

And after I type that I must say they would be four tasty Quarter Finals

PS The reason I pick Seir Kieran to finish ahead of KK even though they would be both on 6 points each and have drawn the head to head is that even if Kinnitty only beat KK by 1 point Seir Kieran would leapfrog KK by beating Shamrocks by 8 points or more which they should be capable of achieving. Obviously if Kinnitty were to beat KK by more the amount Seir Kieran would have to beat Shamrocks becomes less. Also this may be all irrelevant if Kinnitty fail to beat KK which they have failed to do in the last 6 champioship matches dating back to 2006. T

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

sorry kinnityman i have to agree with plain dude,with his predictions, cant see rynaghs losin to belmont, and birr still havent any of their missing men back for the shinrone game so that be very close. i do think damien murray(an excellent club hurler) could be a massive loss yet for coolderry, and him going brings them back in with the pack a bit.they still havent been tested and if some team does put it up to them who knows how they'll handle it.unless shinrone surprise someone in the quarters i still think after all the huffin and puffin it will be the same four again as last year in the semis(unless they meet each other in the quarters that is).i just feel they are still the best four teams in the county.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

shannonbanks14 wrote:sorry kinnityman i have to agree with plain dude,with his predictions, cant see rynaghs losin to belmont, and birr still havent any of their missing men back for the shinrone game so that be very close. i do think damien murray(an excellent club hurler) could be a massive loss yet for coolderry, and him going brings them back in with the pack a bit.they still havent been tested and if some team does put it up to them who knows how they'll handle it.unless shinrone surprise someone in the quarters i still think after all the huffin and puffin it will be the same four again as last year in the semis(unless they meet each other in the quarters that is).i just feel they are still the best four teams in the county.
I would have to agree with Kinnitty man that Belmont will defeat St Rynaghs. St Rynaghs would have found it difficult to defeat Drumcullen if their star player Conor Gath had not gone off injured. Belmont destroyed Drumcullen. If Belmont had used their best free taker (Mark Egan) on the frees they would have defeated Shinrone. St Rynaghs seem to be using the St Rynaghs Intermediate teams of 2010 & 2011 who failed miserably in the County Finals to Drumcullen and Brosna Gaels.

Conrad
Intermediate

Post by Conrad »

All the word is Belmont, being piled this weekend. Hope for the bookies sake they have this right.
Don't spread horse-manure over good crop

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Conrad wrote:All the word is Belmont, being piled this weekend. Hope for the bookies sake they have this right.
No market moves on this one, none of the big firms have reported cash. Methinks a lot of people might be telling you they're betting, but it wouldn't take much to shift a 9/4 price in a game where both teams are already qualified. Any bookie that's telling you they've laid a lot on this one is telling porkies I suspect.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Had a change of heart in the last few minutes so went with a €5 accum on Shinrone, Coolderry, Seir Kieran, Belmont and Kinnitty.

Pays out at roughly 27/1!! I'll have the walkman on for updates!!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Results from tonight:

Coolderry 2-21 Brosna Gaels 0-9
Kilcormac/Killoughey 1-13 Kinnitty 0-13
Birr 0-14 Shinrone 0-11
Belmont 4-12 St Rynaghs 1-15

I believe SK got a walkover from Shamrocks, but that's not confirmed. If so that would leave it at

Birr vs Brosna Gaels
Shinrone vs Seir Kieran
Belmont vs Kilcormac/Killoughey
St Rynaghs vs Coolderry

for the quarter final lineup.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Rynaghs have made a complete bags of this. Hardly surprising. Delighted for Belmont though and I'd imagine lots more are too. No more than Tubber in the football, Belmont are a club that many like to see doing well.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

just as a matter of interest, how is the relegation working. is it bottom tw in semis or bottom 1 in final. take it Tullamore Drumcullen Kinnity and Shamrocks are contenders. It'd be a fair wake up call if Tullamore or Kinnity went down while the other 2 are inter material or not far off!!!!
jimbob