Offaly v Clare NHL 01/04/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Offaly v Clare NHL 01/04/2012

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Team announced for Sunday:

1:James Dempsey
2:Chris Mc Donald
3:David Kenny (c)
4:David Franks

5:Barry Harding
6:Derek Morkan
7:James Rigney

8:Diarmuid Horan
9:Brendan Murphy

10:Joe Bergin
11:Conor Mahon
12:Dermot Mooney

13:Shane Dooley
14:Ger Healion
15:Sean Ryan

Rory Hanniffy misses out with a broken thumb - sustained in the last minute of the match against Limerick. A big loss, Del switches to centre with Barry Harding coming into the side at Number 5.

I'll eat my hat if that team lines out as selected. No use speculating, we, and Clare, will find out on Sunday.

Regardless, the concern lies again with the forwards. From the six picked, it is very hard to see where the scores from play are going to come from. Worrying.

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly v Clare NHL 01/04/2012

Post by kingscounty »

del way to small for centre back and his pace will be lost on the wing. if joe bergin was available id put him in at centre back , hes prob not so id put horan back centre back and mahon out to midfield del back to the wing. it will be interesting to see how healion gets on starting the game this week end. we need big effort and a much improved effort on last weeks game, bergin and dooley need to lead from the front this week.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

if joe bergin was available id put him in at centre back
I presume you meant to write Joe Brady, rather than Joe Bergin for centre back?

I doubt very much if the team lines out exactly as selected. Much of the outcome of this game will depend on what type of a team Clare put out. You could not blame them if they wanted to give some fringe players some game time in a competitive setting. Would be great to win it and make the 1B final. Every extra match this time of year is beneficial.

Interesting to see the Kerry hurling manager calling for a home and away set of games in the league. I believe that would be a good idea to give teams more games, as 5 games in the league is not enough. You could easily do away with the pre-season tournaments and start the league around the same time as the Walsh cup starts now. That way you would still finish around end of March/mid-April.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Team announced for Sunday:

1:James Dempsey
2:Chris Mc Donald
3:David Kenny (c)
4:David Franks

5:Barry Harding
6:Derek Morkan
7:James Rigney

8:Diarmuid Horan
9:Brendan Murphy

10:Joe Bergin
11:Conor Mahon
12:Dermot Mooney

13:Shane Dooley
14:Ger Healion
15:Sean Ryan

Rory Hanniffy misses out with a broken thumb - sustained in the last minute of the match against Limerick. A big loss, Del switches to centre with Barry Harding coming into the side at Number 5.

I'll eat my hat if that team lines out as selected. No use speculating, we, and Clare, will find out on Sunday.

Regardless, the concern lies again with the forwards. From the six picked, it is very hard to see where the scores from play are going to come from. Worrying.
i think offaly have put up some big scores in all their matches so far in the league 4-10 the last day will win most games.
the main two men are Dooley and Bergin and we have to keep them fit.

outside of the few Coolderry forwards Carroll,Parlon,Murray, Eoin Ryan is to young i rather see him in 2013 thats our lot.

UibhFhaili2012
Junior B
Club: 15

Post by UibhFhaili2012 »

Anyone know the situation on Dylan Haden... Injured, off the panel or .. ?
Seems to be a great option for midfield with Conor Mahon or even in the half forward line as he is a great striker of the ball and can shoot from anywhere, was very impressive in the championship last year, would be great to see him back in action.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Ger Healion rarely plays well when he starts games. At best he is a last 15 minute impact sub. He'll either be taken off or sent off by the end of the 70mins. This is a massive game for Offaly so I think that Parlon, Carroll and Murray should have been considered for selection. The plan should be to beat Clare sunday then beat them again in 2 weeks time then give the overall league semi a right ol rattle. That would be the best possible boost before preparing for the championship. Like Great Day For The Parish I find it hard to see where enough scores will come from. It would be ideal if we had 3 Joe Bergins!!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

why is everybody on about where the scores are coming from i think we have scored well in this league points anyway
we got 1-28 again laois, 2-20 again wexford, 1-22 again Antrim, 4-10 again Limerick.

Dooley, Bergin, and Brendan Murphy has got most of them scores and they are all playing sunday so why the panic :roll:

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

llkj wrote:

I doubt very much if the team lines out exactly as selected. Much of the outcome of this game will depend on what type of a team Clare put out. You could not blame them if they wanted to give some fringe players some game time in a competitive setting. Would be great to win it and make the 1B final. Every extra match this time of year is beneficial.

Interesting to see the Kerry hurling manager calling for a home and away set of games in the league. I believe that would be a good idea to give teams more games, as 5 games in the league is not enough. You could easily do away with the pre-season tournaments and start the league around the same time as the Walsh cup starts now. That way you would still finish around end of March/mid-April.
joe brady indeed thats who i did mean my bad, to many joes :D

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:Ger Healion rarely plays well when he starts games. At best he is a last 15 minute impact sub. He'll either be taken off or sent off by the end of the 70mins. This is a massive game for Offaly so I think that Parlon, Carroll and Murray should have been considered for selection. The plan should be to beat Clare sunday then beat them again in 2 weeks time then give the overall league semi a right ol rattle. That would be the best possible boost before preparing for the championship. Like Great Day For The Parish I find it hard to see where enough scores will come from. It would be ideal if we had 3 Joe Bergins!!!!
your wish for 3 Joe Bergins yes he is having a great league so far but he didn't score again Limerick so the other forwards must be doing something right
lets hope Joe keeps the umpire busy this sunday and we will be well on our way for the win :wink:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kingscounty wrote:
llkj wrote:

joe brady indeed thats who i did mean my bad, to many joes :D
well he did hurl centre back under Joe Dooley in league and walsh cup and done ok

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Enough.
Joe Brady has nowhere near the mobility required for inter-county hurling. Analyze the play of any decent inter-county centre back (or centre forward) and look at the pace they are required to have, the ground they have have to cover, the sidesteep, agility etc.

Jesus, the notion that all a CB or CF needs is a good hand and a bit of bulk to 'have a presence' is so simplistic, so old fashioned that its unbelievable some people still consider it a viable tactic.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote: i think offaly have put up some big scores in all their matches so far in the league 4-10 the last day will win most games.
Just to pick up on this, actually it won't. In Summer conditions the total points market is usually middled around 45 on average. Stastically, in 2011 and indeed in 2012 which has been a high scoring league, you'd win less than half of matches.

In fact in the 2012 Division 1A and 1B leagues so far, only four out of 24 matches were won with a total equal to or less than 22 points.

I take your point that generally Offaly have scored well, but 4-10 is not good and would usually get topped.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

4-10 suggests that the team wasn't creating scoring chances freely and had to go for goals in order to keep within touching distance.
Being able to stitch four goals is no bad thing, but a total of 14 scores is not huge.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Enough.
Joe Brady has nowhere near the mobility required for inter-county hurling. Analyze the play of any decent inter-county centre back (or centre forward) and look at the pace they are required to have, the ground they have have to cover, the sidesteep, agility etc.

Jesus, the notion that all a CB or CF needs is a good hand and a bit of bulk to 'have a presence' is so simplistic, so old fashioned that its unbelievable some people still consider it a viable tactic.
Your assertion that all Joe Brady has is a good hand and presence is not only insulting it is downright stupid. If it was that simple to beat Joe Brady pray tell why he was consistently voted man of the match during Coolderrys club campaign?!! Are you implying that every club in offaly and outside are simply too stupid to try and put a little pace on him?!!!

Its simple he has a great hand, good presence, he is a good leader and he has great positional sense, all anyone has to do is watch him during any match, he makes up for his lack of mobility by being in the right place at the right time. Whilst I agree with you in terms of him perhaps lacking the pace to make it at intercounty level, the vast vast majority of ball that lands on any half back line will by sky high either from a clearence or from a puck out, He would certainly be suspect against a real running side ala Cork but he would suit the likes of Clare / Wexford a lot better. Horses for Courses.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

backofthenet wrote:
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Enough.

Your assertion that all Joe Brady has is a good hand and presence is not only insulting it is downright stupid. If it was that simple to beat Joe Brady pray tell why he was consistently voted man of the match during Coolderrys club campaign?!! Are you implying that every club in offaly and outside are simply too stupid to try and put a little pace on him?!!!

Its simple he has a great hand, good presence, he is a good leader and he has great positional sense, all anyone has to do is watch him during any match, he makes up for his lack of mobility by being in the right place at the right time. Whilst I agree with you in terms of him perhaps lacking the pace to make it at intercounty level, the vast vast majority of ball that lands on any half back line will by sky high either from a clearence or from a puck out, He would certainly be suspect against a real running side ala Cork but he would suit the likes of Clare / Wexford a lot better. Horses for Courses.
Correct and right, i have him on my championship back line before Stephen Wynne and Chris McDonald and a few more!
and the scores the backline are giving up during games is a worry.