U21 Football Management

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: U21 Football Management

Post by jimbob17 »

went across this evening to see a very impressive performance against a team that seemed physically bigger than offaly. there was great spirit in the OY team tonight and it was great to see so many OY people turn out to support them. Offaly seemed to set themselves up to stay in the game and tactically played 13 men behind the ball and hit quick on the break which worked well. McPadden will be missed the next night but he was rightfully sent off after a dirty blow to a Meath man off the ball after some pulling and dragging. It will put spain, cullen and young fighting for their spots the next day. I thought the backs were immense tonight and were helped by the hard working half forwards and midfielders. Eoin Rigney from Rhode looked very good at full back and was well assisted by the rest of them, though hanlon was caught in possession a few times.

Mark Young did very well off the bench scoring 1-2 and being a presence in around the forwards. Anton sullivan led by example tonight and covered every blade of grass on the pitch and looked a touch of class though he took some heavy treatment. Kelly looked a player at midfield and you can see why he is featuring at senior level. I thought Declan Hogan looked a player too at right half back and he could be someone the seniors could look at from this group. I Was surprised not to see Cian Donoghue in the starting fifteen as he was one of their best players last year at this level. Bernard allen threatened a lot on the forwards but didnt get the scores he could have for all his possession though he played well generally and will be disappointed to be taken off.

That said, This meath team gave their all but werent as good as we would expect from meath. They have their issues up there with development teams now and are a long way behind our next opponents generally and so the next test will be the litmus test of these fellas. Kildare are one of the best teams at this level for a while now and this year will be no different. They will expect to win the next night, maybe even win leinster and have hopes for an all ireland. They will be well drilled and oy will have it all to do. However, they wont fancy gracefield under lights in front of a partizan crowd. If Offaly can raise their intensity a little from tonight, and continue with the work ethic, then i think we have a serious chance of causing a massive upset. We have a few wins under the belt now with that 4 team competition and championship blood in Meath so who knows where it will end up. In the short term, we will gladly take a championship win over a Meath team that would consider themselves contenders. As ive said previously, there is plenty of talent there, it is what is done with it is the issue. These fellas have trained hard and have put in the work and the reward was on the field tonight. Well done to all concerned!!
jimbob

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

I also had a long walk tonight but id gladly exchange a long walk for a championship win over Meath every year. Great performance in the second half with 14 men.

I thought Rigney was man of the match. Excellent throughout defensively and his forward runs with and without the ball caused Meath serious problems.

I must mention John Ledwith who i thought held firm in the first half with Meath looking like running us off the field. In the 2nd half he was superb and got a great point when we badly needed it. If the Seniors have a better centre back then I've yet to see him this year.

Centre field and the forwards held their own but i feel our backs kept us in it in the first half. The Meath attempt which came off the post and bobbled around on the line could have been a turning point.

Mark Young was the match winner and you'd wonder about the management playing 2 inside forwards and not having him as one of them. Meath couldn't handle him at all.

All in all a great win and roll on Kildare.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Just a few comments on last nights game.

Firstly, the critical stuff. When Meath ran the ball in the first-half we really struggled at times and were helped, in no small part, by their decision making within 25 yards of the Offaly goals. We really got out of jail with their goal chance, which would've put a very different shape on the game. Not only did the luck of the post fall on our side, but we then went up the other end and scored a point - a four point swing on a night which was always going to be low-scoring (it was a five point swing in our favour that won the game early in the second-half).

After that, we don't really seem to have any good fielders of the ball, particularly around the middle third of the field. Derek Kelly and Mickey Brazil are tough and they work hard, but are very alike - neither is a foil for the other. This could very well come back to haunt us against Kildare, who will most likely play Kevin Feely in the middle of the field (available for the Kildare U21s, despite playing League of Ireland soccer). It will be the responsibility of the management team to have a counter-strategy to Kildare's ability to field ball in the middle next Wednesday night - and Lord knows, the last 12-18 months have shown numerous strategies for avoiding kicking the ball into the middle of the pitch.

Finally, Offaly's kick-passing in the opening-half wasn't great, leading to a number of Meath counter-attacks.

Now to the good stuff. Offaly were outstanding with 14 men in the second-half - and that's not overstating it. The support play that the forwards received from the backs was excellent - particularly David Hanlon, Eoin Rigney and David Ledwith. This was the foundation for many of the Offaly power-plays in the second-half. All of those three also looked sticky and did their defensive work well. I thought David Ledwith could've held the 40 a little better in the first-half, but to be fair to him, waves of Meath footballers just kept coming. He certainly deserves credit for an important score in the second-half and also for being pretty much the last link in the chain for the best move of the night that led to Mark Young's goal, but I wouldn't be touting him for the Senior team just yet.

The second significant aspect (of not just the second-half, but also the first) was the selfless running and ball carrying that Anton Sullivan and Graham Guilfoyle got through. Both are speed-merchants and good ball carriers and time after time they drew Meath down the wings, only to turn and re-cycle the ball to free Offaly men on the other side of the field. Whether it's an intentional tactic or not, both always seemed to have the support of other Offaly men. This might seem like the obvious way to play football (!), but both are so quick, that I've very often (for club and county) seen both running into alleys without any support and then being forced into making the wrong decision. This is particularly true of Guilfoyle, who is clearly learning how to use his speed better. Last night, I don't think he made one bad decision with the ball in hand.

Anton Sullivan was the stand-out player on the field. Although he snatched at a couple of chances he'd usually tag-over in his sleep, he has so much to his game - defensive cover, running, more running, ball carrying, passing, scoring and always taking punishment (some of it self-inflicted for holding onto the ball). Mark Young and Bernard Allen also had good nights. Allen probably could've scored a couple more points, but was a menace, particularly in the second-half when he was isolated with his man and the kick-passing into him was well measured. Young is seriously physically imposing at this level and it's hard to understand why he didn't start. He took his goal well in what was undoubtedly the best move of the match. Speaking of which, I'm not quite sure if I follow Townman's reference to "route-one" football in the second-half. The Offaly goal came from the ball being recycled from the stand-side of the field to the other-side before the support of two backsmen (all hand-passing) breached the Meath defense and squeezed the ball out to Young. This was the match-winning moment.

The only other significant aspect of the second-half was Meath abandoning their (working) running game. They instead (for at least 20 minutes) attempted to get direct ball into substitute Alan Forde - it was something that really didn't work.

In conclusion, a great night for Offaly - it's always hard to win your first game. Kildare will be a big challenge, but this is a very fit and able bunch of men.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Just on young mc padden. The no 6 for meath was giving him fierce abuse. Holdin onto him and givin him jabs to the stomach. He was taken it for a while and then he threw his fist around to break free more than anything and caught the no 6. He fell like he had been shot. I thought it was bad form. The no 6 saw mc padden gettin sent off he then got up and clapped as mc padden walked off. Bad form. This has to be cut out by the g a a. A hard lesson to learn.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Overall I was very impressed with last night's performance and I thought that the final score didn't really reflect the difference between the two teams - Offaly played with purpose, holding possession but always looking to inject pace, and always defending with high levels of energy and even higher levels of discipline. Meath in contrast didn't really seem to have a plan and while they tacked on a few points at the end, that was at a time when Offaly, correctly, were ensuring that they didn't concede a goal.

To take a few other bits point by point:

(1) Agree with Eoin Rigney for man of the match. He dominated the square, made good runs forward when it was on and generally was completely on top of his man throughout. I know Anton covered a lot of ground and used the ball well, but Rigney was that bit more assured for me and edges it on a night when there were a lot of potential MOTM winners.
(2) A lot of people bemoan the deep half forward line approach, but last night was the textbook example of how to do it properly. Drop deep, cover the scoring zone, then strike at pace when the opportunity arises. Above all, don't get caught in possession coming out and don't dawdle on the ball. Always driving forward.
(3) I agree with deadandgone in their post above about how McPadden was getting a lot of rough treatment, but if he wants to be an intercounty forward, then that just comes with the territory. You don't lash out. He left the referee no choice and needs to learn a lesson from this. As it is he's almost certainly suspended for the rest of this campaign. The Meath back was a brat all right, but then i guess Karma looked after that with the end result.
(4) The lack of fielders at midfield wouldn't bother me. Most kickouts are won by way of breaking ball anyway, one or two high catches a game can often blind you regarding a player's general contribution. The Meath 8 last night (Menton?) looked like a good tall fielder, but he caught one ball that I can recall and did nothing from general play. I'd happily take Brazil or Kelly's contribution over that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

great win last evening, any time you beat the Royals is a good win even better was the 6/5 in Powers thank you very much, the Lillies will be the bookies favs again I hope????

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

summerindublin wrote:great win last evening, any time you beat the Royals is a good win even better was the 6/5 in Powers thank you very much, the Lillies will be the bookies favs again I hope????
Not even in question. Kildare would be one of the favourites for the All Ireland. I'd say around 4/9, with Offaly at 12/5 or 9/4.

fatlad
Intermediate

Post by fatlad »

Great win last night. Great to see an Offaly football team play as a team and show plenty of heart when they could have easily capitulated in the second half. My real point is the next round against Kildare, there will be a bit of a stir in Offaly after last night’s game and Kildare will bring a usual big crowd, so will Gracefield be able to accommodate the fixture. In the main they did a great job last night but we could have easily double that attendance for the Kildare game.Surely the game could be pushed forward to the Saturday in Tullamore??

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Leinster council have been very stubborn on this, they want these games played midweek. That wouldn't be the first time this has arisen, and that's why we ended up in that badly lit club ground in Athlone last year. The issue with playing them at the weekend is that county senior managers will then have to do without players for league games and that will cause a fuss too. Kildare certainly won't do anything to facilitate because if the game gets moved anywhere, it'll go to Portlaoise, a good result for them for obvious reasons.

So I'd say the thing to do would be to just go along with it, play it in Gracefield and show up in plenty of time.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I wasn't at the game last night but i have been reading the Meath Forum on Hogan stand and from what i can gather their impression is that we threw 13 men behind the ball Donegal style and hit them on the break.

Now i'm by no means a football purist and i understand that this is a results business but i would hate to think that we are trying to copy everyone else and play this dull brand of football.

How did we play last night can anyone tell me????

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

Just lookin at the Kildare forum. Some are cocky, some are wary of us.

http://kildaregaa.boardonly.com/t826p10 ... e-u21-2012

Well done to the lads

It would be brilliant if we go all the way with this bunch. Bring a bit of pride back into the county

'Mon the faithful

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

well i was at the game last night and for the whole first half we had 2 inside forwards with the rest psuhing back to defend more or less. when we had a lad sent off i thought we played more of a man to man game and the half back line pushed forward and attacked in the second half. in the first half we lacked someone in around the square with a bit of height and when mark young came on he more or less won the game. i thought allen did ok and scored 1 or 2 nice points but he was very wasteful at times with better options maybe to pass than shoot. the backs were tight with rigney playing very well at full back,ledwith did well at centre back. one or two times the backs lost the ball trying to run the ball out of defence hanlon in the second half was caught out doing this but he played ok overall. guilfoyle ran his heart out and will need to do so again against kildare, midfield is a bit of a problem i think we were blessed that meath hadnt a great midfield that was catching ball either , kildares midfield will cause more problems . i thought size wise last night offaly were the bigger team and i was expecting meath to be more physical, they didnt really hit hard or get stuck in the way meath teams normally do. its kildare next and i wonder should we start mark young the next day or bring him on like last night where he made all the difference.? i think the game should and will be played in gracefield , the pitch was in good order and there was a good buzz around the ground .

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:So I'd say the thing to do would be to just go along with it, play it in Gracefield and show up in plenty of time.
Totally agree. The game should be played in Gracefield and looking at the Leinster website it is fixed for there next wednesday 7:30pm. Yes the flourbags will bring a big crowd but there will be plenty of room. They have squeezed 4,000 intothe likes of Ruislip in the past so I think Gracefield will handle the crowd. But yeah get there early. There was a good atmosphere there last night and I'd love to go a NFL game there some saturday night it would be so much more better than watching Offaly play the likes of Roscommon in Tullamore on a sunday afternoon in front of 200. Obviously thats never going to happen but just saying.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Just read on Twitter that the Kildare game has been moved to Portarlington. Can anyone confirm? Would still be more or less a home game

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Leinster Council have confirmed game is in Gracefield. Think i completely picked it up wrong! Good news anyway