McManus ends Offaly career

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
OffalyDub
Junior A

McManus ends Offaly career

Post by OffalyDub »

Well lads. Presume the indo wouldn't print this without having backed it up.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 27137.html

A great servant to Offaly it has to be said. Best of luck to him.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: McManus ends Offaly career

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I hope this isn't true. However, if it is we can have no complaints. Emptying the tank for the cause on innumerable occasions, his commitment to Offaly GAA over such an extended period of time is, by now, legendary. A shining example to younger players of the correct attitude required to be an inter county player, his presence alone will be missed. That asides, he actually played well this year, definitely one of Offaly's better players in what was ultimately a disappointing year. He can leave with the head held high, on his terms.

An Offaly GAA legend, he did what most of us can't or wouldn't do. We owe him so much.
Thanks Ciaran.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

One word to describe the man: Legend.

Not the most gifted but was some man to work for the team and the jersey. Had a good year this year so surprising to see him leave now but he probably has had enough

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

McManus was on a different level in terms of commitment and dedication.
On some of his best days he dragged Offaly along with him with his never-say-die attitude.

I wouldn't rule out a comeback next year though. The hunger and desire to represent your county doesn't just disappear completely. I doubt he'd have much catching up to do fitness wise if he came back next March.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

I hope he can be persuaded otherwise either now or sometime next year before the championship. In the last few years he has been the ultimate team player. Was it in Limerick he closed out a game for us this spring, getting fouled as he cleared the ball, taking the free from where it landed and putting it over from a ridiculous angle and distance. Typical Mac.

Ciaran McManus has left me stunned with open-mouthed dropped jaw several times during his long career. I'll never forget such gems as:

1. The goal in the National Football League semi-final in 1998 in that classic encounter with a Tony Boyle led Donegal, also decorated by a fine Stewart goal.
2. The goal from 30 yards out against Laois in Portlaoise on Niall McNamee's debut day.
3. Being responsible for a 3 goal comeback against Dublin in Parnell Park which left us losing by only two points despite one of Offaly's worst ever displays,
4. A goal for Tubber on a mucky club pitch in Leixlip in the Leinster Intermediate Club Final which defied all the laws of physics.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

One of the great warriors of modern day football, who provoked all sorts of emotion amongst the crowd. As in "what did he do that for?" to "how did he do that?". He never gave less than 100% and always kept himself in great shape. Also the fact that he commuted and trained alone is a huge testimony to the man. He is a guy who could come back next spring, but more importantly should be a role for him to play again in Offaly football in terms of coaching and players preparation especially in academies and underage structure.
But the best of luck to him in whatever he does for the future!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I never had the privilege of witnessing firsthand any of the great names from our halcyon footballing days in the 1960s, 70s and early 80s, at least not while they were at the peak of their powers, but I can say without equivocation that of the players I've seen play for Offaly, Ciarán McManus has earned my respect and admiration more than any other individual by a long way. He wasn't endowed with an abnormal skill level in the same way that a small handful of others were, but he prepared and trained himself to the point that he took the field in fantastic physical shape every time and his commitment and dedication to the cause probably surpasses anything else in Ireland, never mind Offaly. It's a testament to the man that his main flaw was that he cared too much, and any of his bad days were all the more frustrating to him and supporters because unlike others who would stay out of the way and look to just get through the game with their head down, Ciarán tried even harder, always looking for the ball and looking to turn things around. However well or badly he was playing, he always sought responsibility and provided real leadership by example.

On his good days, he was a force of nature, utterly unstoppable. His display in Nowlan Park in 2002 when he won the man of the match award was incredible and stands out in my mind as his best day in an Offaly jersey and the best individual display I've ever seen - he quite literally did the work of two men against one of the best midfielders in Ireland. There were several other such days, too plentiful to list and everyone will have their own, but that day in Kilkenny set him apart for me.

His efforts deserved a much more lucrative haul of medals than he ended up with and I'd say he alone is the reason that if you asked everyone which club would they like to see win a senior championship other than their own, Tubber would be the most popular answer.

I would also expect that when the time comes and if he chooses to go down that road, I expect him to be an immensely successful manager. Maybe not with Tubber - I don't know if he'd be able to be the kind of dispassionate general that he'd need to be over his own club, but I fully expect him to have a very successful managerial career. There aren't too many people who have his passion, his leadership skills and his understanding of football and the skills required to play it well.

Whatever he chooses to do in football or in life, he'll have a lifetime of goodwill behind him in our county, and he's earned it ten times over.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Was actually talking to a lad about this a couple of weeks ago and we were wondering if he would stay going again. I wonder did the issue with the delay in appointing the new manager have any influence on his decision or was his mind already made up.

I presume he will keep going for Tubber, as he still has lots to offer on the club scene.

It would be interesting to see the Tribune do a similar interview to the one with Ger Oakley, as I imagine everyone would be interested to hear his opinions on a range of issues.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

McManus fires parting shot at county board

Ciaran McManus has admitted that the Offaly county board's failure to appoint one of the two local candidates as their new football manager was a factor in his decision to retire from inter-county football after 16 years of service.

Gerry Cooney was appointed as Tom Cribbin's successor after a three-month search last week after former county stars Tom Coffey and Stephen Darby, as well as ex-Dublin player Jack Sheedy, all withdrew from the process.

"There were great Offaly men looking for the job as well as a good Dublin man," the Tubber clubman said on Midlands 103.

"It is just disappointing the lads didn't get the chance early on and I am very disappointed for Stephen (Darby) and Tom (Coffey) in particular. Both would have done a great job.

"That just added to it, but it was part of it (my decision to retire). The new management obviously want to look at fresh players and maybe there is a spot there now for a young lad to get in."

With Niall McNamee also indicating that he won't be involved next year and Joe Quinn taking up a new strength and conditioning role with Westmeath, a new era beckons for Offaly football.

"Hopefully it is a good one, we badly need it," McManus continued.

"We have been in four or five Leinster minor finals in recent years and unfortunately never got to win one of those.

"We need to make a mark at U21 and we need to make a mark at senior level. There are a lot of lads looking for direction and maybe the new management can give that and get them going.

"There is plenty of talent there and I know that we can do it. The pool of talent we have in the county to others is pretty small, but there is plenty of talent, plenty of good lads and good young lads and hopefully it is the beginning of a new era for Offaly, but we have a lot of work to do."

McManus felt now was the right time to bring the curtain down on his long inter-county career.

"I suppose I have been thinking about it for a while now and when you are playing for 16 or 17 years, you think about it every year when you are getting near the end," he said.

"I just felt it was probably the right time for myself with a new management gone in, and he has obviously a two or three-year programme and that would add a few years to where I am now. I'd be nearly 40.

"The other thing was the delay in putting a management team in place and I probably felt that it was the best time to get out. I was playing reasonably well last year and I am happy enough with the way I finished up, but obviously disappointed with the way Offaly finished up."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=157617

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

McManus fires parting shot at county board
Journalists (or editors/headline writers) are their own worst enemy! Reading the headline in the article above, I had a listen online to the Radio 3 interview with McManus. I was expecting some type of a rant from him, based on the headline. What I listened to was the complete opposite, as a calm Ciaran went through his reasons for calling it a day at this point, his hopes for Offaly for the future and his opinion on the current manager situation.

It is no wonder that players generally give nothing away when being interviewed, as the slightest hint of giving an opinion on things, is generally blown out of proportion. Papers will use the arguement that it is a commercial decision and boring headlines don't sell papers. In my opinion, that is rubbish, as I would be much more loyal to a paper that I can trust to accurately report on the interview, than one that blows things out of proportions to get my immediate attention.

I do, however, like the fact that the Radio 3 interview is available to listen to online, to compare to what they have reported on. Perhaps a good idea would be for papers to put a QR code/link to the actual interview after each article and a little rating system - 'Out of 10, how accurately did you feel we reported on what the person was saying in this interview.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Did he "slam", "lash", or "blast" the county board in the interview?

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I do, however, like the fact that the Radio 3 interview is available to listen to online
what section of the website is that interview on? i cant seem to find it........ :?:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

It is on their Facebook page, which has lots of interviews, results, fixtures.

Here is the direct link to the piece on the YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aQsEsaPC2U

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I thought exactly the same thing. Ciarán clearly felt the board could have done better, but that was an afterthought to the whole interview from what I could see.

Having listened to it myself, I'd have thought his general concern for the future and how far behind he felt that Offaly footballers were would be the biggest concern for me. That could have been made into a headline just as easily and still be a lot more relevant.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Listened to him on Newstalk last night, he was definitely critical of the CB but in no way was he lashing out. He seemed more sad than angry.

Brilliant Brilliant servant to Offaly football and will be sorely missed. Maybe he could be persuaded to help out a new man in his first year in the job but he owes Offaly nothing.

Best of luck.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."