McManus ends Offaly career

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfhailiabu
County player

Re: McManus ends Offaly career

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

He has been a fantastic servant to the county and always always gave 100% to the jersey, and even on bad days (of which we have had a lot!), Ciarán would always be trying until the end. It'd be great to see him involved with an Offaly team at some stage in the future, I'm sure his belief and passion for the county would be an inspiration to players.

Thanks for the memories Ciarán and best of luck in retirement.
Keep The Faith

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

I remember sitting behind him at some match in Croker back in the 90's when he must have been injured (or possibly suspended). He was in the front row of the Cusack Stand, but it seemed like he "kicked" every ball anyway. Even when he was off the field of play, his enthusiasm, support and encouragement for his team-mates never lagged.

I used to worry when I saw him lining up to take a free closer than 30 metres from the goals. We reckoned he was better when the free was at least 40 or 50 metres out; that was his best range. In fairness, his closer range was pretty good in the past couple of years.

And remember when he was working in Finland but still managed to travel home for Offaly matches. There are some who moan about having to travel down from Dublin, but there was a mark of the man's devotion to his county.

Best of luck Ciaran. I was always happier watching Offaly play when you were on the field. I knew that at least one player could be counted upon to put his entire heart, soul, body and breath into the effort.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I knew Mac back in the college days and even then his dedication was remarkable. In fact I cannot think of someone who committed himself as much to his sport in any code given the fact that he balance his studies and work with club, county, college and county duty.

If any side had 15 Ciaran McManus’s they’d walk an All-Ireland.

If it was a criticism, and it’s unfair of me to even mention as it stems from his utter dedication to the cause, every so often he had the tendency to get over-excited on the ball which resulted in the odd howler of a kick.

Best of luck in retirement – future CEO of ESB in the making.

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

Would of made any Offaly team of any era. Thanks for the great memories ciaran and good luk in retirement