Ireland v Scotland Hurling/Shinty Match

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Ireland v Scotland Hurling/Shinty Match

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

I have to say I really enjoyed the game on TG4 today. I saw some of last week's game as well, but didn't get to watch it all properly. Ireland were by far the better team last week at home but only won by 5 pts in the end. Today Scotland were the better team but somehow Ireland managed to win. Plenty of Offaly interest as well with Joe Bergin playing both games, Rory Haniffy played today, Joe Dooley was manager and Tony Caroll ref'd last week and was an umpire today. Haniffy played okay but Joe Bergin is definitely suited to this game-he scored an absolutely class goal today just before half-time to bring Ireland back into the game. He also did well to set up a goal last week. Sometimes though he played behind his man instead of in front. Willy Hyland from Laois surprisingly missed some handy frees in 1st half but he did better in 2nd half. Some of the players from the so-called weaker counties performed well but Michael Rice & Brendan Maher did stand out with that bit of extra class. Outfield players cannot catch the ball and I really enjoyed the fact that there was plenty of first time hurling, in the air and on the ground (a little bit like there used to be in hurling). The ball moved quickly from end to end. I hope they continue with the series but it needs more publicity.

Awoefullhoor
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Re: Ireland v Scotland Hurling/Shinty Match

Post by Awoefullhoor »

Have to agree with the mountain man. I watched the match today , and as a spectacle it was much more enjoyable than the Ireland v Australia, football compromise,

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Again enjoying this today but not as good as last year. Patrick Horgan is the big difference between the teams altho Tommy Walsh is playing great stuff in the backs also. Shane Dooley was quiet enough in the 1st half. Scotland have missed a lot of frees.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Its a terrible spectacle.Two teams playing 2 completely different sports.Its a mile worse than the International rules and international rules is dreadful.The Irish lads are way fitter faster and stronger than the scots and having hurls gives them a distinct advantage as they can lift the ball and also the Scottish goalie hasnt a hope of stopping a shot for goal.I suppose its no harm to keep a link between the games but its a fairly pointless sport.I watched about 10 minutes of it and had enough of it.I would say shinty is a decent game on its own but invariably when you combine two sports you end with an uncomfortable spectacle where players cat play their natural game.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Have to agree with you DAF.

I watched it online on BBC TV commentary who were gushing praise on some of the basics of hurling skill.

Pat Horgan nearly fell over himself when striking for the last Irish goal, mistiming the lob off the hurl. Any Junior b keeper with a goalies bas would expect a half hit shot travelling across the body to the bas side of his stance.

Point being if that was the white heat of the Irish championship, the goalie wouldn’t even have seen it in a one-on-one situation like that.

That Irish advantage to lift, balance and strike and the goalkeepers bas is far too great. The Irish frees should be taken off the ground , side-line cut style, for a start.

If the Scots stay interested in it and the GAA are happy to offer expenses as an end of season reward to young Irish hurlers then let it continue for its spectacle value but it can’t seriously be marketed as a worthwhile international sporting contest by BBC/TG4. I'd say in Scotland especially where the game is a serious minority sport, folk would have been asking themselves what they were watching at prime time Saturday viewing time. A highlights summary would have sufficed.

The one thing I would credit is the opportunity it gives to players from weaker counties to line out at representative level with others which is not really achieved by the interprovincial. The likes of Horgan Dooley, Hannify and Walsh should not be playing in this. I’m sure you could get a relatively competitive selection from Div 3 NHL sides.

While I agree with the principle of establishing connections between sporting bodies the shinty/hurling experiment is what it is - it’s all about the pi55 up afterwards ..

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I watched the game online too and thought it was enjoyable enough. I don't think it does any harm and is something a bit different.

One thing that really stood out for me was the performance of Tommy Walsh. For a man with 9 All stars his commitment was unreal. At this stage in his career he could be forgiven for not showing up for something like this or not getting 'stuck in' but I have never seen him give less than 100% all the time. I'd say even at a club training session, he is 'on' all the time.

Dooley was quiet enough. won a free or two. Scotland will keep an extra close eye on Horgan next week, so it might free Dooley up a bit to do some damage.

The point about the Scottish keeper is valid - if i was Scottish manager i'd make him train with a hurl for a couple of weeks and then use that in the game.
Don't agree with the point about the Irish frees from the ground - Ireland only get 1 point for the rise and strike, where Scotland get 2 for the frees scored from the ground.