Hurling to stay in Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ditchhurler
Intermediate

Hurling to stay in Tullamore

Post by ditchhurler »

O'Connor Park in Tullamore will be the main venue for the majority of county and club games should the Offaly management committee's decision be fully ratified by the county board.

At last month's meeting, the management committee ruled that all Offaly senior football and hurling championship games would be played at O'Connor Park, while the Tullamore venue would also host all home games in the National Hurling League.

The decision comes as a major blow to the Birr club, who have redeveloped their St Brendan's Park grounds to ensure they were able to cater for these games. Traditionally, the south Offaly club held all senior hurling championship finals in the county as well its home NHL games.

The limited capacity at St Brendan's Park has hindered Birr's chances of getting such high-profile games back, however, chairman Finbarr Spain confirmed to The Midland Tribune newspaper this week that the club would be contesting the management committee's decision.

this is going to cause war! My own point of view is i'd like it in Tullamore but I am a Tullamore man. I can understand why the people in Birr would be agreived. But moving hurling to Birr is not going to make us competitive again so it's not the cure to everything

townman
All Star

Re: Hurling to stay in Tullamore

Post by townman »

well what ever chance you had getting a crowd to tullamore last year in division 1 you get no one in it next year as the the arse is about to fall out of the league
with the likes of kilkenny,Cork, tipp, to pull out of it if its not put back the way it was last year and they will get their way if they pull out.

i am sorry that the hurling league games anyway will not be in Birr next year but to tell you the truth the way the football and hurling is going you could play them in
moystown won't be many looking at them, tullamore is a fine ground but you will hear lads having a p.ss in the jacks during the games it will be that quiet
Division 2 hurling and Division 3 football, at least Birr is a bit more close knit and more will watch the hurling in Birr.

but as Ditchhurler says he doesnt mind he is from tullamore so fair enough, doesnt matter about the football it was always in tullamore but you will get smaller gates
at hurling games. no it might not make us more competitive if it was in Birr, but i think we have gone to the dogs altogether in underage since the games have been took
out of birr i could be wrong on this but i think the last home underage win we had was in Birr again wexford a few years ago.

where are they getting this capacity thing from in the golden years 80's 90's it was always in birr why is it that we have fell down the ladder in leinster hurling over the last
10 years this Hinderred Birrs chances of getting a few mickey mouse league games next year again Carlow, laois, Derry,Down where is the crowd coming from .

look we know its a money thing to pay for the stand in tullamore but the state of offaly hurling and football at underage it will take 100 years to pay for it we won't be filling
it up in championship hurling and football anyway.

i know a few people from south old people that have watch offaly this 40 years or more said they wouldn't be going to tullamore to watch hurling anymore which is a pity
the old people who we say from Rhode or Edenderry or Walsh Island would't go to Birr or Coolderry to watch football either and would you blame them.

the management and county board are a laugh in offaly this years carry on with the hurlers over OCP will tell you what we have, i was in a ale house last weekend and a member
of the county board was in it and he was asked a question about this years club hurling matches for this weekend and the muppet couldn't say who was in the quater finals this
weekend he didn't know that my friends will tell you whos over our county................ :oops:

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

townman wrote:well what ever chance you had getting a crowd to tullamore last year in division 1 you get no one in it next year as the the arse is about to fall out of the league
with the likes of kilkenny,Cork, tipp, to pull out of it if its not put back the way it was last year and they will get their way if they pull out.
Where did you see or hear this townman?
Keep The Faith

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

it was on the news during the week that wexford Limerick are again the new divisions and tipp kilkenny and cork said they will not play the league games next
year if they don't go back to the old division 1 and 2 divisions with the one up one down and no semil final's.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I am sick to the teeth of hearing this Birr v Tullamore argument vis a vis the main hurling ground in Offaly. For me it's a complete no brainer.

In Tullamore we have the best pitch in the county, the best dressing rooms in the county and by a mile the best spectator facilities in the county. It's a fantatic facility and I love going into OCP for matches.

To think logically about it why should the county final go back to Birr?? Because they were always played there and it's tradition? That's complete rubbish if you ask me. If that was the case our senior team shouldn't even be rising the ball.

And I hope nobody is fooling themselves to what they think the capacity of the re-developed St.Brendan's Park will be as placed by health and safety. As a simplistic example, if K/K and Tullamore get to the county final this year, going on 2009's attendence there is no way it could be brought to Birr. It couldn't hold that crowd.

Then of course we have "there's no atmosphere in OCP" argument. More rubbish. If you need an atmosphere to enjoy a match you shouldn't reallly have any say as to whether it's Birr or Tullamore for the hurling.

County Board are making the right call on this. To bring the county hurling final back to Birr would be a backward step considering what is on offer in Tullamore.

southoffaly
Junior B
Club: birr

Post by southoffaly »

see the gobshites are out in force again , fooling urself clown , crowd aint a problem but of course passed on health and saftey early in year even tough county board boyos tried to claim it wasnt . its the hurling clubs , hurling people and players want it back in hurling area not on a football pitch .if your so sick of it ,stick to watching football then and fu.k up about the hurling then , im listening to these football people where i work in tull and they dont have any regard for hurling ,in alot of cases some of these hardly know hurling is played in the county .but of course gaa going fast as too many young lads dont know anything about tradition , vast majority of hurling people want it back in our area , so how are county board wank..ers making right call .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

southoffaly wrote:see the gobshites are out in force again , fooling urself clown , crowd aint a problem but of course passed on health and saftey early in year even tough county board boyos tried to claim it wasnt . its the hurling clubs , hurling people and players want it back in hurling area not on a football pitch .if your so sick of it ,stick to watching football then and fu.k up about the hurling then , im listening to these football people where i work in tull and they dont have any regard for hurling ,in alot of cases some of these hardly know hurling is played in the county .but of course gaa going fast as too many young lads dont know anything about tradition , vast majority of hurling people want it back in our area , so how are county board wank..ers making right call .
well tull as you say wont have to worry about the hurling after this evening :D

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

southoffaly wrote:see the gobshites are out in force again , fooling urself clown , crowd aint a problem but of course passed on health and saftey early in year even tough county board boyos tried to claim it wasnt . its the hurling clubs , hurling people and players want it back in hurling area not on a football pitch .if your so sick of it ,stick to watching football then and fu.k up about the hurling then , im listening to these football people where i work in tull and they dont have any regard for hurling ,in alot of cases some of these hardly know hurling is played in the county .but of course gaa going fast as too many young lads dont know anything about tradition , vast majority of hurling people want it back in our area , so how are county board wank..ers making right call .
That's a bit unfair. There are hurling people all over Offaly, including Tullamore, Edenderry, and Gracefield areas, who have traditionally suported Offaly hurlers and travelled to Birr for County Finals. I am delighted to see Birr is open for business, and I will be attending games there in future.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Godwin's law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law of this forum seems to be that people who want to bring hurling games to Birr try to twist it into some sort of football vs hurling debate. It is revealing about the hang ups certain people have though (and usually the lack of intelligent arguments too).

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:The Godwin's law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law of this forum seems to be that people who want to bring hurling games to Birr try to twist it into some sort of football vs hurling debate. It is revealing about the hang ups certain people have though (and usually the lack of intelligent arguments too).
there was a good crowd in tullamore today for both games i have nothing again OCP its field was like a carpet today great seats and its a lovely ground and fair play
but as a Birrman what ever about county championship game in tullamore but i would like to see the county final back at ST.Brendans park and the semil finals there
sat with a Shamrocks man and a tullamore man in front of me today and both said the hurling should be played in Birr well the club hurling anyway so there you go.

looking forward to the semil final now in tullamore with Birr and maybe we can lift the Sean Robbins in OCP again, as football debate again hurling i dont look at it that
way i am an offalyman and love to see the footballers win and support them, but yes my first love is Birr and offaly hurling and would like to see the hurling back in Birr
but if thats not the case don't give a sh.t where it is as long as Birr and offaly hurling is back winning again .