New York 'Stuff'

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

New York 'Stuff'

Post by Kevin »

I put this up here in case there are a few familiar names mentioned, etc.

From Irish Central Website:

McNaughton Leads Offaly Home

Offaly 2-20 Tipperary 1-11

Offaly used a brilliant opening 15 minutes when they outscored Tipperary 0-7 to 0-1 as the building block which helped them catapult to this senior hurling victory.

Midway through the second half they went to work again by outscoring their opponents 2-7 to 0-5 in the last 15. Shane McNaughton was clinical from frees while Shane Sweeney took his two goals very well.

McNaughton opened the game with two points before Shane Dooley replied with a point from play. It was all Offaly for the next 10 minutes, however, as Brendan McGourty and Dermot Lyng won the Tipp puck outs and drove the ball back into their forwards. The forwards were taking their points with five in a row.

Ray Murray also had to make a good stop on Derek Molloy to keep the sheet clean at least for the moment. A defensive mistake did allow Dooley a goal chance and he didn’t have to be asked twice.

Offaly reacted by scoring four of the last six points. Pat Hartley, McNaughton with two and Molloy were the scorers. Niall Garry and Dooley had the scores at the other end, but Garry will be fuming as he should have had a goal after the Offaly keeper made a mistake. It left Offaly leading 0-10 to 1-3 at the break.

Three points in the first five minutes of the second half extended the advantage, but they also had four wides, such was their dominance.
Tipperary cancelled that three out with scores from Paul Loughnane, Tom Kavanagh and Enda Loughlin. Loughnane was battling hard in the full forward line and he was one of the few who were winning his fight now that he was switched off McGourty.

Offaly came again as the last quarter arrived with three points, including a free after Paddy Touhy received his second yellow card. The man advantage worked hugely in the winners’ favor.

Loughlin did have a long range point, but three further Offaly points preceded a two goal burst from Sweeney. The first came after a rebound of a Kelly shot came his way, the second when Kelly found him with a long range pass.

Tipperary did have the last three points of the game but it was all just statistical at that stage.

Offaly were outstanding. The half back line of Lyng, McGourty and Hehir did untold damage in both directions. Eoin Drumgoole and Shane Kelly won the middle, while Donie Broderick, Pat Hartley and the full forward line of Sweeney and McNaughton were outstanding.

For Tipperary, Ray Murray was excellent. His puck outs were fantastic drives. Brian Bourke, Conor Hayes, Enda Loughlin and Shane Dooley were most prominent.

Tipperary: 1 Ray Murray, 2 Paddy Touhy, 4 Conor Hayes, 5 David Liddy, 6 Brian Bourke, 7 Enda McInerney, 8 Enda Loughlin (0-2), 9 Colin Parker, 10 Tom Kavanagh (0-1), 11 Paul Loughnane (0-2), 12 Niall Garry (0-1), 13 James Williams (0-1), 15 Shane Dooley (1-4). Subs: John Madden, JJ Butler, Paul O’Connor.

Offaly: 1 Brian McNaughton, 2 Sean O’Sullivan, 4 Matt Cashman, 5 Dermot Lyng, 6 Brendan McGourty, 7 Dermot Hehir, 8 Shane Kelly (0-2), 9 Eoin Drumgoole (0-2), 10 Donie Broderick (0-3), 11 Derek Molloy (0-1), 12 Pat Hartley (0-4), 13 Shane Sweeney (2-1), 15 Shane McNaughton (0-7). Subs: Richie Hartnett, Enda Condron, Ciaran O’Keefe.

Man of the match: Shane McNaughton (Offaly).
Referee: Eugene Kyne.

http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/New-Y ... 14743.html
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Re: New York 'Stuff'

Post by llkj »

Would I be correct in saying that this makes 5 Offaly natives on the 2teams? 3 on Offaly and 2 on tipp? 13 a side too .

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Do we really care about that championship. Some might be interested to see how some of their mates are getting on but its fairly poor hurling out there.

Yes its 13 a side. 3 teams in the championship. The lads out there wont be too bothered. The main difference between winning and losing these games comes down to the two weekenders the clubs manage to get over. As the competition reaches its finale you'll see the clubs doing their best to entice over the big name players that are out of intercounty championship back here.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Is Dermot Lyng diarmuid lyng from Wexford?

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Its hairy enough stuff out there – most of the lads care more about :-

a) Settling a score of old.
b) Settling a score from the row on site or in the pub last week.
c) Immigration turning up as they did at the North American finals a few years back.
d) The session later on.

than they do about the hurling.

See want happened to that young lad from Fermanagh in SF a few weeks ago?

I mean, fair pay to them for keeping the game and it’s great for them to have it.

But they can’t be critical of the likes of SD getting a few quid more to play with ..whoever.

Apart from a few isolated cases, those club / county set ups are very porous and where you come from is irrelevant.

Personally, I’d be trying out the baseball if I was there – or more likely something that involves a trip to the beach rather than the Bronx.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

durra1 wrote:Its hairy enough stuff out there – most of the lads care more about :-

a) Settling a score of old.
b) Settling a score from the row on site or in the pub last week.
d) The session later on.
Do you have examples to back up those statements? (Not getting into a Hoganstand slagging match, or as it's now known, an uibhfhaili.com slagging match) but my experience of it is that there's an Irish community out there where the GAA is the main social outlet for them much as it is here at home. They form into their "natural differences", i.e. social circles, geographic location out there, or back home and then setup a club for themselves, much like a big town in Ireland with 2 or more clubs.

Without a doubt, it's not taken as seriously as a club's #1 team here in Ireland, but they definitely do care about it during the game, and afterwards, and as for the violence, yep there's some, but feck all difference between the amount of violence here at games. You put 26 lads in an enclosed area playing an adrenaline and aggression filled game every weekend for over 3 months of the year and you're bound to have some occasions where it spills over.
The night is darkest before the dawn

the big stuff
Junior C

Post by the big stuff »

durra can you back any off your 4 points hurling mightnt be great at the moment but it means a lot to most only 3 teams left now made up of players all over ireland not many rows in bars not tolerated by cops too many mexicans to worry about emigration unless you get locked up for fighting most rows left on the field what player dosent like a couple beers after the match gaelic park great place to meet people also to line up a bit of work nowadays fairly scarse overall like the man from ferbane said a big town with a couple of teams here all trying to keep it alive and you want them to play baseball

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Long John wrote:Do we really care about that championship. Some might be interested to see how some of their mates are getting on but its fairly poor hurling out there.

Yes its 13 a side. 3 teams in the championship. The lads out there wont be too bothered. The main difference between winning and losing these games comes down to the two weekenders the clubs manage to get over. As the competition reaches its finale you'll see the clubs doing their best to entice over the big name players that are out of intercounty championship back here.

I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks for the update Kevin

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

when does the hurling finish out there?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

corner back wrote:when does the hurling finish out there?
Looks like August 21st. Full schedule for NY can be found at the link below.

http://www.ny-gaa.org/august.html

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

MFF / Big Stuff - sent ye a PM on this.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Offaly claimed their 5th straight New York Hurling Championship today at Gaelic Park.

Offaly lined out as per the program:

1. Brian McNaughton
2. Sean O'sullivan
4. Diarmuid Hehir
5. Diarmuid Lyng
6. Brendan McGourty
7. Pat Hartley
8. Daniel Currams
9. Shane Kelly
10. Donie Broderick
11. Cyril Donnellan
12. Derek Molloy
13 Shane Sweeney
15. Shane McNaughton

Subs were listed as:

16. Finbar Flood
17. Richie Gaule
18. Matt Cashman
19. Richie Hartnett
20. Ciaran O'Keefe
21. Enda Condron
22. Caelim O'Hare
23. Sean O' Keefe
24. Eoin Drumgoole

Offaly came out of the blocks fast and never looked back. It was never really a contest with the final scoreline being something along the lines of 3-22 to 0 - 10 give or take.

Offaly were dominant in the air and it just seemed like it was a case of 15 playing against 12 at all times. Lose ball was picked up by a tricolor jersey 95% of the time. The midfield of Currams and Kelly were completely on top. The halfbacks were great at picking out targets and the fullbacks and goalie were not troubled too much aside from one circus save by the goalie.

Derek Molloy had some nice catches and did some damage on the scoreboard and Cyril Donnellan was too much for Galway to handle.

Anyway, our mercenaries were far too much for theirs and we overran them for what it is worth (I'm not about to debate what it is worth).

I went up to Gaelic Park because I had a free day, Offaly were playing for a 5 in a row (in a severely depleted 3 team championship) and one of the young ones was interested in seeing a game. I hadn't been up there is a number of years and was a little disappointed. The place was never a palace and the field and stands may have been much more dangerous prior to its 'facelift'. The playing surface is artificial so there are no bad hops, but there no useful sideline cuts. Its almost a disadvantage to get one.The majority of sidelines were easily intercepted worm burners.

Just after walking in I realized that the bar was shuttered. Missing completely was the easy Sunday afternoon social scene I remember from a lifetime ago. At 1:45 there were probably 40 people there for the New York Hurling Final that was supposed to start at 2:00PM The delayed start allowed for more to show, but there may have been 300 (being generous) at best there. The whole environment could do with a shot of life. Not sure what the answer is.

I did walk away with 3 positives:

1. Got to catch up with a friend.
2. My daughter walked away buzzing about what 'those guys' could do with their 'sticks' and asked when she can see another game...just one that is more evenly matched.
3. I got what I selfishly suspected I'd get going in and though it may be a bit of a mirage. I saw tricolored jerseys cleaning up any contestable ball. I saw players not bashful to bang over point after point after point even with the game in hand. With the result beyond doubt, players still fought for every ball like their pride was at stake. They could have eased up, but they did not (especially the mid-field and the backs). As irrelevant as it may be to Offaly GAA at home I walked away with some positive images to replay in my mind and a good feeling for a short bit of time.

Congratulations to all involved in NY Offaly Hurling.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hope this works.

A quick photo attached of some of the team with the cup, in case someone spots someone familiar...

IMG00088-20110821-1554.jpg
IMG00088-20110821-1554.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 10557 times

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Certainly three faces that their home clubs badly need home this weekend.

Will be interesting to see which ones appear at weekend and more interesting which ones wont.

Was Currams a weekender or 60 day sanction? The other two boys 60 days are up.