new football manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
clubman
Junior A

Re: new football manager

Post by clubman »

puzzled wrote:Stephen Darby has withdrawn his name as well!

This is an awful bloody mess!
this is starting to become a joke, coffy and darby pulling out.maybe this is what county board wants have not the balls to tell them straight out so they piss them off.good old offaly yet again the laughing stock, wont be buying ur 100 euro ticket next year

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I see this on twitter:
"Darby follows Jack Sheedy and Tom Coffey in withdrawing from the race to replace Tom Cribbin"

The only thing that i can think of is that they all have heard that someone else is being lined up for the role and rather than been beaten to the position, they have decided to withdraw.

The only way the county board can redeem this is if they pull a manager from the hat that is clearly a better option than the 3 lads and say something like, "we wanted to evaluate all options and make sure we had the best person for the job. this person was not an option at the start of the process, but when he became an option, we had to include him into the process, which took longer than initially expected, but... and of course, thank the other great servants/options" .

I have been involved in the hiring of people myself in a business context and often i have come away from interviewing and said - 'there are a few options, but i'm not blown away by anyone in particular, lets see who else is available to us'. The key to doing it is to do 2 things well: 1. communicate with the existing candidates that you are still considering and let them know that things are still in progress and keep them sweet. 2. let the existing staff know what is happening too, as the last thing you want is an existing staff member (in this case the players) feeling that you are sitting on your arse or not really bothering to get someone else in.

Seems that the CB failed to manage the stakeholders correctly (not to mention the fans). (of course, maybe the problem was that the CB were sitting on their arse and doing nothing).

So, I hope this is a short term problem, which gets solved asap by the appointment of a great manager to manage offaly!

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

llkj wrote:I see this on twitter:
"Darby follows Jack Sheedy and Tom Coffey in withdrawing from the race to replace Tom Cribbin"

The only thing that i can think of is that they all have heard that someone else is being lined up for the role and rather than been beaten to the position, they have decided to withdraw.
dont think thats why they pulled out and as for pulling a manager out of a hat ,thats is what they probably will do.lots of concern about hurling manager as well, think niall macs interview on midland 103 summed up everything,if player start to question county board then we have a real problem. think its time for county board to either shite or get off the pot.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

What the hell is going on at all!! From Niall Macs claims in the interview it appears that there is some underhand work at play from the outside looking in. For the three applicants there appears to be a force at play that they are all aware of, leading to all three resignations if this is true (I am not sure if it is, can anyone confirm). Should we be surprised though really at what is happening given the co boards track record in recent times. It is made up of some spineless and clueless individuals who dont seem to know what they want and are clueless as to what is required at the top level in management. it appears that they get a whisper that an outsider with zero track record and who may have been a great player is interested in the gig and they hold off on their decision to see what might unfold. Do they not have confidence in their own appointment committees judgement. Do they not have confidence in good local people with proven track records in managing football teams. Are they willing to forgo people like the candidates on offer for someone they dont even know, with little track record, just because he was a so called "legend" in another county. If that is the case we will replicate the last five years again. It will be a similar decision to when Pat Roe was appointed and we will be in exactly the same place in 2 years time.

For god sake, a manager doesnt play the game at all. They need to pick someone who knows what is there, and who knows where to play players in their best positions for the good of the team. Outside managers are not always the best as we have seen in the last two appointments. They need to pick someone who knows who the best players in the county are, whether they are playing at senior, inter or junior level at club. There are some lads in the vincents, raheen area from junior and inter clubs that are well capable of playing senior with the county but outside managers would never consider such players. OY need to go back to these areas and find the players to be successful again.

If the selection committee were doing their job in the first place, candidates that may be interested or available should have been approached months ago and been given an opportunity to get local selectors in place and stand for interview like all the rest. something tells me that the co board executive have intervened somehow in the process and something is amiss, and it smells bad whatever is going on. It appears that they have their eye on somebody else outside of those interviewed and are waiting for a response and ignoring the selection committees recommendation (assuming they have one). Either this or they have deemed the 3 candidates not up to scratch. Somehow however, i am not surprised one bit with the co boards mismanagement of the whole situation!! Time for the dinosaurs to give up on their power and go to their retirement homes where they only have to make decisions about what they are going to eat and where they are going to sit!!! Think it is best for everyone concerned!!
jimbob

greengiant
Junior C

Post by greengiant »

The under hand work at play is Laz Molly wants to be involved in the set up with the under 21s and/or seniors,the next Offaly manager will be the first to agree to this

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Maybe they're waiting to see who wins "Celebrity Bainisteoir" and be first in with an offer? Tony Cascarino anyone? :twisted:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

I know this is going to be controversial but maybe the county board think none of the names put forward so far are the right men.Tom Coffey seems to be the most popular name but maybe he is not the right man for the job i am hearing about how well he is doing with this rhode team, but anyone and everyone that knows anything about offaly gaa knows this rhode team have a problem with discipline off the field.People say we are in the papers for the wrong reasons now but do we run the risk of picking up a national paper and reading about an offaly team acting like rock stars or worse.A club team may get away with it but a county team wont.

greengiant
Junior C

Post by greengiant »

Blue-thats an old discussion,and ye cant blame Coffy for the headcases in Rhode,but if Coffy,Darby Sheey are not good enough why give them interviews everybody knows what there CVs contain and where are all the so called suitable canidates 3 and a half months later

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Personally, I'd love to hear something from the County Board on the matter. I am willing to wait to hear their side of things, before deciding how to react to the whole situation. However, the longer they leave it without any comment the longer they leave the door open for speculation and the shorter patience gets.

As I said on a previous post, the only way they can rectify the situation is by appointing a quality manager soon! If it is or isn't one of the 3 names that were shortlisted, I really don't mind, once the ultimate decision is the best one for the county team.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

A crucial aspect here is that the three men in question deserve respect. I have no idea whether they were good, bad or indifferent at the interview stage, nor am I so presumptuous as to say that any one of them should have got the job. They all have strengths and weaknesses and I'm certainly not naive enough to think that someone like Mickey Harte is going to be banging the door down to come manage Offaly. If they were still under consideration, they should be told so and they should be told what was the cause of the delay. If they weren't, they should be thanked for their time and let pursue other options.

However the issue that most people have is that above all, SOMEBODY SHOULD BE MANAGING OFFALY IN THE MEANTIME. Again, not to keep harping back to a business situation, but if you have a central role in a company and you can't fill it as quickly as you'd like, you certainly put an interim manager in place. Aspects like diet, strength and conditioning, stamina, all those things can be addressed and one of the advantages of a small county like Offaly is that if you asked ten football followers to name a squad of fifty, the same forty names would appear on at least 8 out of the 10 lists. This isn't Dublin, Kerry or Cork you're talking about. A preliminary squad should be gathered, meeting, given instructions and assessed for fitness and conditioning, subject to their other commitments (e.g. Sean Ryan and Stephen Lonergan were training with Birr hurlers up until Sunday and would have been justifiably exempt) . Then you assess them again when the new man is in, and he starts with a good idea of what players are willing to do the work without being railroaded.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly football left in turmoil after all three candidates exit manager race

Tuesday October 18 2011

Three months after Offaly began the process of finding their next football manager, the committee charged with that task are left staring at a blank sheet of paper again with none of the original three candidates left standing.

Tom Coffey withdrew last week, and Jack Sheedy confirmed yesterday that the plans he had put to the appointments committee were not accepted. "I didn't withdraw. I was just told that the plans I had put forward weren't what they were looking for," said Sheedy, who is expected to remain on with Moorefield in 2012.

"I spoke with them over the weekend. I wasn't prepared to change anything. I felt I had put a strong package together but it wasn't acceptable. I really feel sorry for the players. They are the ones who will ultimately lose out. But it's been a very peculiar process."

Stephen Darby is also out of the running, but he insisted yesterday that he had not withdrawn.

"I was asked last Friday to go back in for a second talk with the committee and I declined. As far as I was concerned I conducted a comprehensive interview three weeks ago when I made all my plans known to them," said Darby.

Meet

"If they wanted to appoint me as manager I would meet them then. But I wasn't going back in when I had laid out all my plans already.

"What I can't understand is that Ollie Baker was appointed as Offaly hurling manager last week but he didn't have to have all his plans in place when he was ratified. Good luck to him but his back-room team wasn't all in place.

"I didn't make a decision to withdraw. It was made for me when I didn't go back in for another meeting."

Asked whether he would still accept an offer to manage Offaly, Darby said he would always be "honoured" to serve his county. "This is my second time to apply for this job. I applied for no other reason than to do my bit for Offaly."

The committee is due to meet again tonight after two meetings late last week. It is understood that they have two new names in mind.

Gerry Cooney, who sought the Meath job last year, and Peter Brady, who guided Edenderry to Offaly county success last week, have been mentioned as possible contenders. But the manner in which this process has dragged on for almost three months now may put potential candidates off.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 08450.html

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'm not defending the county board here as this has dragged on too long. However there would appear to some very childish behavour going on here as well. Coffey withdrew his name because felt the process had taken too long. Both Darby and Sheedy claim they are withdrawing because they were asked to go back and speak to the committee. Now I don't think its totally unreasonable for the county board to want to speak to candidates again. If both of these guys wanted the job then why would dropping in to speak to the committee again be such a big deal? I'm also not sure that Niall Mc has gone the right way about this either? More dirty linen in public for us and I know plenty of people are starting to say that Niall is in a huff because two Rhode clubmen are involved. I have no faith in our county board at all but I also feel that the candidates should have gone back when asked and if after that they were unhappy then say ss but don't run to the media beforehand. Any thoughts?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

from reading the report in the Indo, it is hard not to get the same impression as BracknaghBoy about the candidates. However, what they say to the media and what is actually the situation are usually 2 different things, so I wouldn't take the article as the ultimate guide to the full situation.

Am I correct in saying that the CB has not uttered a word to anyone since this broke last week - even something to say - we are meeting next week and will provide a full statement then, or something like that?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

When one candidate pulled out, I assume the others then felt compelled to do so.
Otherwise, whoever got the job might feel they got it by default.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:When one candidate pulled out, I assume the others then felt compelled to do so.
Otherwise, whoever got the job might feel they got it by default.
Default, the two sweetest words in the English language :D